What's new

DMR-E80 DVD-R Problems (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey_Bilyeau

Auditioning
Have recently purchased the Panasonic DMR-E80HS and have as yet been successful in dubbing anything from the HD to a DVD-R. Been to dozens of forums which relate the horrors of finding compatible media which works reliably. Have tried Maxwll and Verbatim so far (not one good one) and have BeAll blanks on order from Meritline - keeping my fingers crossed.

DVD-R compatible is set to on. Original program material was recorded to HD in SP mode, and is under two hours in length. Neither high speed dubbing or SP record mode to DVD-R seems to work and the scenario is always the same. Several minutes into the transfer I get the "error has occurred" message, then "recover mode", and finally, "check disk" and then I have yet another coaster. Visual inspection of the reported bad disk reveals very narrow band of recorded material so I know it was written to for at least a small period of time.

I'm willing to keep trying different media but am concerned about the time period I have for returning the unit as defective, if in fact, it actually is. I'm beginning to think I might have a lemon even though it seems to dub OK to the Panasonic DVD-RAM disk that came with the unit.

Anyone else having this same problem? Suggestions?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
How many coasters have been created so far? And how many different programs have you tried recording from HD to DVD-R? (I've had a few situations where some sort of glitch in the original recording to HD seems to create a problem with the transfer to DVD-R.)

M.

Rob Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
I would try a direct burn to one of the "coaster" discs and see if you still have a problem. That may eliminate disc problems. I use Maxell, TDK and Memorex and they work fine. Make sure they are MAXELL and not MAXWELL. Maxwell and Verbatim are cheaper brands that could be problematic. Then I would try a different program from the HD and see if that had a problem. Are you trying to copy protected material? After that I guess I would try another unit.

Jeffrey_Bilyeau

Auditioning
Thanks Mike & Rob for the quick response!

Tried to reburn all the coasters - the drive just won't read them. And yes, I've tried dubbing several different movies from the HD in several different modes but it crashes within three minutes of the start. I have the first (4) out of (10) Maxells (returned the rest) and the first (4) out of a (25) spindle of Verbatims which all failed - none would reburn. Neither of the source recordings were copy protected and both played from start to finish off the HD with no apparent glitches. I know 8 isn't all that many but no successes in between is a little disheartening.

I've got 3 days left before I have to make a decsion about returning the unit and am expecting the BeAll blanks to get here tomorrow - will give them a try and let you know what happens.

Best Regards,

Jeff

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'd consider an exchange. That kind of failure rate is well beyond anything I've experienced with the E80.

M.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I agree with Michael. If you have tried several different brands of discs and have been unable to dub even one program from the HD to DVD-R, it certainly sounds like you have a defective E80. I would exchange it for another unit while you still can.

Jeffrey_Bilyeau

Auditioning
Hi Al,

Tried the BeALL Blanks and had same problem. Took your advice and am returning the DMR-E80 today in exchange for a new one. Thanks for all the help!

Jeff

Jeffrey_Bilyeau

Auditioning
Glad I took your advice!

The replacement unit arrived just before the weekend and, so far, every burn has been perfect!

Thanks Again,

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread