1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

DLP for Dummies

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dave Schofield, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Well-Known Member

My soon-to-be father in law is looking at displays for his new house. He is absolutely in love with DLP. I've personally been looking at LCD RPTVs for a few months and I've been discussing them with him as well. I'm not trying to push him in any direction, but I've been warning him about the Rainbow Effect on DLP. Today, he went to an Ultimate Electronics and looked at, side-by-side, an LCD RPTV and a DLP and claims that there was "no comparison". He says the DLP was "much, much better". (BTW, He didn't remember the model or brand of either TV.)

I'm wondering if the LCD RPTV was on SDTV and the DLP was on HDTV? It was tuned to the basketball games on CBS apparently. I know there are pros and cons to both types of sets, but I can't imagine that DLP is "much, much better". I'm also not discounting the fact that there's no way the sets were calibrated in any way.

I thought I'd poll the audience on this one, since I'm a relative newbie when it comes to DLP. I don't intend on starting an LCD vs. DLP debate...

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Well-Known Member

It's really impossible to make any judgement based on un-calibrated displays, except perhaps like screen-door visibility, but even then, that's just one small part of the picture. Without a somewhat reasonable viewing area (not the bright showroom floor at cheezy places like best buy), and a properly calibrated display, you're really buying blind. It's like trying to compare restaurants by leaving the leftovers in your fridge for a month, then seeing which kind of mold tastes better. It's pretty useless to compare uncalibrated displays, because some may be way off, but end up looking much better when set up right. Of course, if you don't care about calibration, and intend to watch in a big bright space, then perhaps there is a use to looking at uncalibrated sets, but otherwise...

So it's much more likely that your father in law was more sold on the hype about DLP (which sounds very very cool to the un-initiated, compared to the "crusty LCD" technology that you associate with watches and alarm clocks.). Don't forget either, that the even "crustier" CRT RPTVs may still provide the best bargain, and the best picture out of them all.

3. ChrisWiggles

4. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Well-Known Member

I generally say that there is no superior technology, just whatever meets your needs best (since each has drawbacks). Enough research will show you that.

But if rainbows are not a problem with you (they admitted are for me, but not on the RPTV units as far as I know, due to a faster color wheel), I don't see how LCD projection could be better. The murky black levels on LCD have always turned me off to the technology. It's the last one I would consider, just because DLP RPTVs share the major advantages that the digital RP tech has (no burn-in, no convergence/geometry issues, better viewing angle & brightness in non-dark rooms) but without the disadvantages of iffy black levels and possible? ghosting.

It seems to me with DLP the only dealbreaker is the rainbows if you are one of the unlucky victims (like me on low speed wheels). Rainbows can be very irritating if you are susceptible.

5. ChrisWiggles

DLP also suffers from screen door, dithering problems, poor black level and contrast ratios, etc...

Every technology has its own set of strengths and weaknesses. Some have a lot more strengths than others, but you are right, there is no perfect display.

6. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Well-Known Member

Well, I mean, I don't see doing LCD because they are so similiar to DLP, and the LCD disadvantages so similiar to DLPs, except DLP has them to a lesser degree, it seems (except for the rainbows). I'm a plasma guy myself, but ended up with an X1 ($$)