1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY Screen "Screen Goo"

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Gerald LaFrance, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Well-Known Member

Gerald LaFrance
    Hi I was looking around for screens and the prices are a lil bit more than I would like to pay, I found this DIY Screen and it is half the price, I would pay for a real screen.

Has anybody known or used this screen themselves, or could I just use some kind of paint to make the screnn on the wall it will be a 100" screen THNX[​IMG]

2. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Well-Known Member

I just project directly on my wall, painted a nice light grey satin from Home Depot. The picture looks great.

3. Doug_H

Doug_H Well-Known Member

Gerald

I have used Goo in three theaters and it is great. It has a much better reflectivity that standard paint can't match. They also have a tool on the site that will help you select the best paint for your projector and enviroment. I highly recommend this product.

4. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Well-Known Member

Gerald LaFrance
    Doug

I just used the Tool calculator and the screen will only cost me $270 wow!!, now that is a more realistic price.

[​IMG]

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Ron
    Will these goo guys send out samples for testing. $270 for paint seems extremely high. I use a custom mix gray from Lowes and I be interested in trying goo but not for a couple hundred bucks.

6. Doug_H

Doug_H Well-Known Member

Ron

They have some local distributors, you can check on the site and see if one is near you. I am sure they have displays set up.

I tried a number of home brewed paints and they just didn't pop the way Goo does especially when it comes to HD.

7. Chet Wilson

Chet Wilson Well-Known Member

Gerald, go to a fabric store and buy some drapery backing, stretch it in a simple frame, buy a quart of Behr Silverscreen(flat), paint with a short nap roller, hang and off you go. $40-$50.

8. todbnla

todbnla Well-Known Member

Todd
    Spend some time reading up on this subject on the avs forum, their is quite a lot of DIY'ers with screen paints. A lot of folks go to Home Depot and buy Behr "Silverscreen" and it works fine. Much cheaper than goo...[​IMG]
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...s=&forumid=110

9. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Ron
    I tried that Silverscreen, and yes it does work fine, but I preferred my current Lowes Valspar Plank gray to it.

I'm going to order up the Goo and give it a try. Looks like it will only run me a bit over $100.

10. BlakeN

BlakeN Well-Known Member

I just spent the last 3 hours reading DIY screen posts and I have come to the conclusion that its 50% trial and error 10% science and 40% voodoo and I think I might be over estimating the amount of science. There is a conflicting argument to every post on avs.