What's new

DIY - DVD rack (1 Viewer)

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
I've got a (I believe) Billy Bags dvd rack which isn't big enough for my DVD collection.

I want to either reconfigure this one or just build a new one.
The rack is something like a Pro-1000, but I can't be sure of the exact model.

Anyway, what I want to do is make the rack 2-3' wider by either building a new one or just changing the length of the rack tubing. My problem is I have no idea were to find such a tube. It's about 1/2-3/4" in diameter, hollow, but with ends which are female threaded for screws which attach to the sides.

There was an ancient thread here from maybe 2002 where people were discussing this type of tubing, but all the links are dead now. Any idea where someone could buy this type of tubing?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've been looking for something similar. I don't even need threads, just cheap tubing. I have found some a Macmaster-Carr but it throws my budget out of whack quickly.

-Robert

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
I have been looking at hot and cold rolled steel tubing and it looks like around $15/6' sections and maybe less with 30 pieces? I'll need to call and see if they can do the threaded ends.

TeddM

Stunt Coordinator
Why not cut the existing rails in half and epoxy these into the next size up metal tubing, cut to the length you want?

I built a custom media rack using tubing and thread steel rod. I simply sanded the tubing, primered, and then sprayed with gloss black paint. Simple areosol can paint. Worked great.

The tubing came from a local metal supply, cut to my specified length.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks