1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY bookshelfs from PartsExpress?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Marc*F, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Marc*F

Marc*F Well-Known Member

Anyone have much experience building bookshelfs from PartsExpress. How are the sizes and quality of the pre-built bookshelf cabinets from PE? I am looking at lower end cheaper bookshelfs....how are the Dayton crossovers? Also looking at the cheaper Vifa tweeters and Woofers perhaps from the Classic range.....

Another thing would be where could i get information on correct box size and tuning for Vifa drivers?

Or what are some proven DIY packages that i can look at that are quite cheap?

Thanks

2. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Well-Known Member

The pre-built cabinets are of very high quality, like nothing else out there that I know of. You can be sure PartsExpress doesn't skimp on crossover components, and the crossover designs themselves are optimized by a long proces of testing different variations. You should be very satisfied with what you get.

The BR-1s use slightly lesser cabinets in terms of material thinckness but they still have high-quality crossover components. I have a friend who will be getting some BR-1s this summer.

3. Marc*F

Marc*F Well-Known Member

Yea the cabinets looks very nice for the price. I guess i'm not to sure which crossovers to match with what speakers and speakers to which cabinets.....are there any tried and tested bookshelfs made from the part from PartsExpress? EG. calculated port length/speaker

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Well-Known Member

Do not use premade (generic) crossovers. XO's should be custom designed for the specific drivers and cabinet (baffle) being used.

5. VinhT

VinhT Well-Known Member

If you can wait until the end of the month, Parts Express should have their new speaker kits in stock.

One example:
    Peerless/Morel Kit

I can't wait to see how good they are!

6. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Well-Known Member

i was talking about the speaker kits in the new catalog. I guess they aren't in stock yet. But their crossovers used in those kits are definitely not generic.

If you want a cheap yet decent bookshelf monitor, try the Dayton BR-1s. (The BR stands for Bass Reflex). It also does not use a generic crossover, and it is well-recieved.

7. Dan_Whip

Dan_Whip Active Member

Marc,

Take a look at speakerbuilder.net. He has quite a few Dayton designs. He designed the 'Pee Creek' speaker around the PE cabinets. He gives all the details including crossover building. Should be everything you need.

8. Marc*F

Marc*F Well-Known Member

Yea so far the PeeCreek design looks quite nice for the price [​IMG]