What's new

DIY bookshelfs from PartsExpress? (1 Viewer)

Marc*F

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone have much experience building bookshelfs from PartsExpress. How are the sizes and quality of the pre-built bookshelf cabinets from PE? I am looking at lower end cheaper bookshelfs....how are the Dayton crossovers? Also looking at the cheaper Vifa tweeters and Woofers perhaps from the Classic range.....

Another thing would be where could i get information on correct box size and tuning for Vifa drivers?

Or what are some proven DIY packages that i can look at that are quite cheap?

Thanks

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
The pre-built cabinets are of very high quality, like nothing else out there that I know of. You can be sure PartsExpress doesn't skimp on crossover components, and the crossover designs themselves are optimized by a long proces of testing different variations. You should be very satisfied with what you get.

The BR-1s use slightly lesser cabinets in terms of material thinckness but they still have high-quality crossover components. I have a friend who will be getting some BR-1s this summer.

Marc*F

Stunt Coordinator
Yea the cabinets looks very nice for the price. I guess i'm not to sure which crossovers to match with what speakers and speakers to which cabinets.....are there any tried and tested bookshelfs made from the part from PartsExpress? EG. calculated port length/speaker

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Do not use premade (generic) crossovers. XO's should be custom designed for the specific drivers and cabinet (baffle) being used.

VinhT

Second Unit
If you can wait until the end of the month, Parts Express should have their new speaker kits in stock.

One example:
Peerless/Morel Kit

I can't wait to see how good they are!

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
i was talking about the speaker kits in the new catalog. I guess they aren't in stock yet. But their crossovers used in those kits are definitely not generic.

If you want a cheap yet decent bookshelf monitor, try the Dayton BR-1s. (The BR stands for Bass Reflex). It also does not use a generic crossover, and it is well-recieved.

Dan_Whip

Agent
Marc,

Take a look at speakerbuilder.net. He has quite a few Dayton designs. He designed the 'Pee Creek' speaker around the PE cabinets. He gives all the details including crossover building. Should be everything you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks