What's new

Disturbing Blockbuster Situation (1 Viewer)

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Hey everyone,

Don't know if this is the correct forum for this, but since it involved an HD-DVD, I thought I'd post here. I guess I should post over in the SD-DVD software thread since it could effect them too.

I cancelled my Blockbuster Online subscription July 24th while I still had The Big Lebowski on HD-DVD out. On July 25th, I received an e-mail confirming my cancellation and informing me that I needed to return any outstanding DVDs by 9/23/07.

This Saturday I received an e-mail telling me I had not yet returned The Big Lebowski and that I would be charged the selling price for the item. If I returned it, I would get my money returned to me, less the restocking fee.

I called them today to let them know the e-mail had stated I must return the movie by 9/23/07 and they said, well it must be a glitch in the system. Sorry, you'll STILL HAVE TO PAY THE RESTOCKING FEE!

WHAT? I'm obviously not upset about the $1.25 restocking fee, but rather the principle of it. I got a supervisor on the phone and she told me there nothing that could be done. I still had their product and they had every right to charge me. I reminded her I have tangible proof that I didn't have to return the HD-DVD until 9/23/07 and therefore, they did not, in fact have any such right. She said she was sorry, and once again went the "it's a glitch in the system" approach. All movies are due back 30 days after cancellation. This went round and round for a few minutes.

Finally, I offered her a work around since apparently there is nothing that could be changed in the system to get me my money back. I asked if they could give me a month free for this annoyance. She told me it wasn't worth it to them (HER ACTUAL WORDS!) because it was only a dollar they owed me. She didn't even so much as offer me a coupon for a single movie rental instore! She offered me nothing. I told her the reason I cancelled was because we're having a child in a few months and I don't have the time right now, but that I could have been a returning customer (certainly my child is going to want to watch movies!). I then told her I would now NEVER even consider going into their store again if this is their type of customer service. This event is in the top 2 all-time blunders in the customer service world that has happened to me.

Finally she said if I fax her the e-mail - maybe there could be something done. "What," I asked her? I reminded her she'd already told me there was nothing that could be done. She, of course, had no answer to that.

I'm still in a state of shock. I rarely get upset or have the old blood pressure rise, but man did she get under my skin. She was so nasty about it. Had this pompous attitude, even though it's black and white that I am correct in this situation. I even have the e-mail that says when I needed to return the darn disc!

So I wonder if any of you out there have had any similar experiences? Either with Blockbuster or Netflix or any online or instore rental outfit. I certainly hope you have not. But I wanted you all to know what kind of service I got over at Blockbuster. Renter beware!

Cheers,

Jason

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Hey everyone,

I just posted this in the HD-DVD software section, but thought you guys and gals should hear this too as it could easily effect you.

I cancelled my Blockbuster Online subscription July 24th while I still had The Big Lebowski on HD-DVD out. On July 25th, I received an e-mail confirming my cancellation and informing me that I needed to return any outstanding DVDs by 9/23/07.

This Saturday I received an e-mail telling me I had not yet returned The Big Lebowski and that I would be charged the selling price for the item. If I returned it, I would get my money returned to me, less the restocking fee.

I called them today to let them know the e-mail had stated I must return the movie by 9/23/07 and they said, well it must be a glitch in the system. Sorry, you'll STILL HAVE TO PAY THE RESTOCKING FEE!

WHAT? I'm obviously not upset about the $1.25 restocking fee, but rather the principle of it. I got a supervisor on the phone and she told me there nothing that could be done. I still had their product and they had every right to charge me. I reminded her I have tangible proof that I didn't have to return the HD-DVD until 9/23/07 and therefore, they did not, in fact have any such right. She said she was sorry, and once again went the "it's a glitch in the system" approach. All movies are due back 30 days after cancellation. This went round and round for a few minutes.

Finally, I offered her a work around since apparently there is nothing that could be changed in the system to get me my money back. I asked if they could give me a month free for this annoyance. She told me it wasn't worth it to them (HER ACTUAL WORDS!) because it was only a dollar they owed me. She didn't even so much as offer me a coupon for a single movie rental instore! She offered me nothing. I told her the reason I cancelled was because we're having a child in a few months and I don't have the time right now, but that I could have been a returning customer (certainly my child is going to want to watch movies!). I then told her I would now NEVER even consider going into their store again if this is their type of customer service. This event is in the top 2 all-time blunders in the customer service world that has happened to me.

Finally she said if I fax her the e-mail - maybe there could be something done. "What," I asked her? I reminded her she'd already told me there was nothing that could be done. She, of course, had no answer to that.

I'm still in a state of shock. I rarely get upset or have the old blood pressure rise, but man did she get under my skin. She was so nasty about it. Had this pompous attitude, even though it's black and white that I am correct in this situation. I even have the e-mail that says when I needed to return the darn disc!

So I wonder if any of you out there have had any similar experiences? Either with Blockbuster or Netflix or any online or instore rental outfit. I certainly hope you have not. But I wanted you all to know what kind of service I got over at Blockbuster. Renter beware!

Cheers,

Jason

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I suspect this'll get moved to the Vendor forum but................

I never used Blockbuster online but I have had minor (but similar) aggravations at the B&M stores in the past. I've pretty much avoided Blockbuster the past 10 years. I've had Netflix (off and on) pretty much since they started and frequent Hollywood Video (which now has a good selection of both Blu-Ray and HD DVD) locally.

FWIW - I've cancelled with Netflix twice before but made sure they received whatever I had out and that my queue was empty before I actually cancelled.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
The funny thing is she just kept telling me in her stern little voice she was sorry that there was a glitch but that I would have to pay anyway. I asked her as an end user, would she have been happy with this situation. She said no, and then returned to her mantra, "There's nothing that can be done" which roughly translates to, "Bend Over!"

"Ben? Nice to meet you," Irwin "Fletch" Fletcher

Cheers,

Jason

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That's probably what will happen but I'd call back and ask to talk to a supervisor because you can't fathom this turn of events and you need someone else to explain this to you. Going higher up on the food chain may get you a person who doesn't want to deal with you and will give you what you want. You could try telling the supervisor that you were planning on coming back to BB's online service in the near future but there's no way that you'll do that now and (hopefully) they'll get rid of the fee in the name of customer service.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Sorry about your situation, but I really don't feel that Blockbuster was THAT out of line.

You should have just sent the DVD back as soon as you cancelled. With a two month time period, you had to have known it was a glitch.

My experience with BB hasn't been the greatest. One of the last times I was there a few years ago, they told me I had returned 3 DVDs late and owed a fine. Not only had I never returned them late (in my life of 25 years renting, I've never been late with a rental) but I returned them a few days early. I told him this fact and he shrugged and credited it out.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I've been using Netflix for years, but gave Blockbuster a shot earlier this year. After two months I cancelled. Crappy selection (compared to Netflix) was my main gripe, but I'm sure if I'd stayed with them longer, I'd have more to bitch about.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor

Sadly, she WAS the supervisor. And the funniest part was that the original agent I got was significantly nicer. I may try again tomorrow and see what that yields. I'm also going to fax over the e-mail to the supervisor I did speak with. Maybe if there's proof in front of her nose she'll do something about it. I really don't want to let this slide - that part of me that hates the corporations got very upset with Blockbuster today!

Cheers,

Jason

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm out of ideas. :) I consider myself to be very petty but when I worked in a video store, I never cared about getting rid of late fees (unless it was some ridiculous amount or someone who was habitually late) and I'd drop a $1.25 late fee faster than The Flash.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor

Jon,

The reason I'm upset is that they clearly stated in their e-mail I had until the 23rd of Sept. to return it and now I'm being charged well before that date. I was one vacation for a few weeks and just didn't have time to get to it. I just got back and have had lots to catch up on, so I was hoping to see it this weekend.

It's not the money - but rather the priciple. I'm being charged for something that is clearly Blockbuster's mistake. And all they had to do (if it is really true that they can't refund the restocking fee) is to give me a coupon for an instore rental. That's how the customer service industry should work. If they are at fault, there shouldn't even be the slightest hesitation - they should figure out how to compensate you.

Cheers,

Jason

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I would right a snail male letter to the precedent of Blockbuster and explain the situation. I bet you get a year free! :D

Doug

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor

First of all, what's a "Precedent" and how do I get in touch with him or her? :)

Seriously though, how do I send the president of Blockbuster and e-mail?

Cheers,

Jason

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

IMO, the $1.25 is not worth your outrage. BB has never, IMO been renowned for exemplary service. Speaking for myself, I would have returned all my stuff before canceling anyway, just in case they were lame ass enough to charge me a late fee (in your case they were). Yes, they suck, but you probably had an inkling of that if you canceled.

I will say this in defense of them: the company I work for just converted to an extraordinarily rigid and complex operating system, so i think I understand "the glitch". It probably is so incredibly complicated for them to work "around the system" that they literally told you that you are not worth it because all this is over a buck twenty-five, and you canceled anyway. I have had to disappoint people who spend a lot more than you because our system left me no choice.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

If you don't mind my asking, who else made the top two? Columbia House? If I had a top-10 list for customer-service nightmares, CH would probably fill about 7 or 8 of the positions.

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
Although as one who also lives pretty much by "the rule of principle", I have some questions.

1. WHY do customers always think that they are entitled to some form of compensation for *their* inconvenience? Just so I get this straight - you had The Big Lebowski before July 25, when you decided to cancel your membership and now it's August 27 and you STILL have the HD DVD? No offense dude (haha), but return it and move on with your life - like the birth of your child. However I do agree that they should just stick to the original return date of September 23 - which begs the question - are you going to wait until that day to return it???

2. I also don't get it why Blockbuster didn't just waive the $1.25 (!) restocking charge and move on with life. Why bother creating more work and hassle for what it's worth - we're talking a BUCK TWENTY FIVE.

3. I'm also wondering how you can cancel a membership while you still had property of theirs. A system shouldn't be able to do that - only if your account was clear (just a thought?).

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Man, you posted this on here also?
Let's round up the town folk, get some torches and storm Blockbuster because they had the gall to charge you $1.25 for a movie you kept for 1 month.

;)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I cannot believe that some people are assigning some of the blame in this situation to Jason! What the heck has he done wrong? Blockbuster is the one who made the mistake here. Blockbuster is the one who gave Jason the wrong "return by" date. Blockbuster is the one who should go out of their way to make sure that Jason is satisfied.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor

That would have been Sprint. But I'd have to write a novel to give you that one. It's actually quite humorous and was laughing then too. I think this one just came as such a shock that I got more upset then was neccessary. I've never been that upset with customer service before, I really don't know why it got to me. Been pretty stressed lately, so that could be the case.

Cheers,

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks