What's new

Disturbia, Top Gun, Jack Ryan Collection Blu-Ray & HD DVD Late Summer/Fall (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Yep, and ptential customers and HDdvd owners should be asking "what Happened?!?!?" and not rushing to defend Paramount or the format itself with, "Well, Fox has been..."
Doesn't help the issue at all.
If one buys a disc, one expects what's printed on the case and therefore promised to be included to actually BE there.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. The defensiveness and knee jerk deflection comments are quite bizarre. For some every topic comes back around to HD vs. BD and it doesn't matter what gets fouled up because it's all A okay as long as their format doesn't look bad compared to the other.

I swear based on some of the back and forth, tit for tat that goes on around here it feels like I'm back in the 7th grade again.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Sadly, this is part of the "format war". For many, "Paramount" represent HD DVD and "Fox" Blu-ray, even when both companies have these bare bones-releases or at least slightly disappointing ones..

Even when I have "defended" e.g. Fox myself, I have to agree that these bare bone-releases most likely will be the ones that I´ll skip.. Enough is enough (goes to e.g. both Paramount and Fox).

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Looks like Paramount is recalling these to fix the erroneous packaging and they will indeed not have any special features in the end. The DVDEmpire guy at DVDtalk posted the press release they got about it:

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Well, these are now gonna be officially Netflix rentals. I REALLY wish they had just stayed neutral. I liked being able to choose which version I was going to get.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

Well, it was pretty obvious that the packaging was the problem from Paramount's view. Having been in the business for 3+ years, it's obvious to me that:

1. Paramount planned to have this release port over all DVD extras.

2. Paramount assigns their authoring houses and packaging houses the tasks related to this disc.

3. Paramount decides to cut cost and drop all bonus content, but forgets to inform packaging department.

4. Release gets out and the discrepancy is noticed.

There are simply too many stages in authoring for this big of a specifications error to get through. The culprit is the packaging department, which was more than likely not kept in on the loop when the specs for this release changed.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Two comments, having just picked up numerous 'bare bones' Fox releases with a 40.00 retail, one catalog release with extras does not mark an improvement.
Second, we still don't know if it is packaging issue, or a pressing problem, and we won't unitl Paramount reannounces the now delayed release. Until then, I find the Paramount bashing a little old. The set in question has not been released yet.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Of course, I was speaking from the customer's view. The customer who seems to be getting constantly screwed by various studios where HDM is concerned lately.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
With Paramount barely releasing catalog titles in HD, there is no reason why these features cannot be ported over. It really isn't a big expense at all.

Everything Paramount does simply smells of a double dip. Are we yet to get a Paramount catalog title with lossless in ADDITION to special features? With the JACK RYAN Collection pulled from circulation, this will leave Trek S1 as the only major 4th QTR catalog release, and it falls more under the banner of CBS since they actually did the work on it.

Those of you out there who believe the $150mil buy out rumor, tell me, do you still believe it now?

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

Thomas, the fact is that this has NOTHING to do with FOX and everything to do with Paramount. Yet in many people's rush to defend the studio and the format, people keep bringing up FOX.
That's like coming home with a bad report card and defending yourself to your parents by saying, "So! Joey got a WORSE report card!"
Doesn't matter.
and now that Paramount is admitting that the PACKAGING is wrong and these discs like Top Gun will be bare bones when previous catalog titles had bonus features show the direction Paramount is unfortunately heading now. Down.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I bought the Trek movies on DVD, and then RE-bought the 2 disc SE's. I will never buy a bare bones Trek movie on any format again! They are playing the same game with Top Gun and Jack Ryan, but they are not the only studio who double dips! You KNOW any big movie, or series will be released dozens of times if they sell!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Fully agreed. I just think we shoud stay on topic and not bring other studios into the thread that have nothing to do with this.
That's what always happens at AVS and the thread turn into flaming format nonsense.
Paramount going exclusive was what made me go format neutral. So far, they aren't giving many others a whole lot of incentive to do the same.

:)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Yes, but try to tell that to the Paramount-supporters. When you choose your camp... etc ....

Mr.White: "I got Transformers coming out of my left ear, and Transformers... I-don't-know-what coming out of my right."

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
I think it was more than a rumor and to some extent even accepted by the studios concerned. The only thing different they claimed was that no actual cash was involved. Anyhow, to reply to your question, I say this points ever so more as evidence that they don't really believe in HD-DVD as a product but rather they are just releasing titles to HD-DVD as part of the deal. Thus they want to spend the least amount of money possible right now and when the 18 months are up, they will redo the titles for release on Blu-Ray. Ofcourse this is just conjecture on my part, so please don't ask me to provide any evidence of the same. Although, Paramount's actions seem to be speaking louder than their so called support for HD-DVD.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
No one bought it. It was pulled before it's release so it cost no consumer anything. No harm, no foul. As I said, I will wait to see what Paramount's decision is prior to making a judgement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks