What's new

Distance from TV? (1 Viewer)

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator
I recently got a 52" Toshiba DLP and it looks great when showing HDTV, but looks terrible showing anything else, including DVDs. Now, granted, the room I have it in right now is small (I'm having work done on the living room) and I measured it to be 8 feet, 8 inches from where my head is to the screen. I assume that's closer than I should be for this TV. However, once I move it into the living room, it'll be about 11 or maybe 12 feet at most to the TV, and I question whether that is far enough to hide the flaws in the picture! I certainly understand that watching regular TV or a video tape is going to look lousy no matter what size the TV, but if I can't watch a DVD without noticing how awful the picture is, I should probably return the TV and get a different one - a smaller one. Is that far enough for that size of TV?

For clarification, I have a progressive DVD changer hooked up to the TV via component cables, and my digital cable is connected via HDMI.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
8 to 9 feet should be far enough back for a 52" set with a 480p DVD image, that's 2 screen widths away. What exactly looks bad in the picture? Perhaps you need to tweak the image with Avia or DVE (e.g sharpness too high)?

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator
I can see pixels - if there is a section of screen where the color changes from dark to light, it often looks like bands of color with clear lines between them. Everything looks very computer image-like - not entirely natural. I did go in and turn the sharpness all the way down.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I think there is a setting in your display you need to turn off to fix this actually. Edge enhancement or something like that. Pretty common. I just can't remember what it's called right now.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Many sets have a "movie mode" setting that will turn off VSM and adjust the color temperature to 6500K. That would be a good place to start.

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator
Now that you mention it, one of the last things I did before I went to bed last night was change the picture setting - the default was "Sports" mode, and I changed that to "Movie" and it did look better. I don't know if that affected other settings (such as sharpness) but I'll take a better look tonight.

I have a copy of Video Essentials that was put out right when DVD first hit the market, so I don't know if everything it has you do is still valid or not, but I'll have to run through it a time or two and see if I can improve things. I love the set, so I really hope I can make it work for me!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Ryan and Perry , my memory had failed me once again.... That is the offending thing that needs be off. Nearly everytime I get the very computerish or cartoonish looking complaint, this almost always ends up being the culprit.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

The picture quality tests are still valid. Definitely calibrate brightness and contrast and you should see an improvement.

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
Its definitely not the viewing distance. I've got a 62" Mits DLP and I sit about 10 feet from the screen. Absolutely awesome. Even when I lean forward the picture is still beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks