What's new

Disney's Timeless Tales series - Am I getting anything I don't have aleady? (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Hi Disney fans,

I've posted previously that I have every piece of animation released on DVD by Disney, having all the films plus all the ltd tins etc.

A couple I missed were the Timeless Tales 1 & 2 back in August and now I'm getting a new order together, I'm thinking of adding these 2 but I notice vol 3 is due out in Jan & thought Disney might just be churning out these as cheap single disc titles when all the material has been out already.

I wonder if anyone knows if there has been or likely to be any titles in this series that will be exclusive to that disc & not been in any of the tins or other Disney titles.

Hope someone can help as I need to get my order together today to have my Star Wars 3 shipped.

RomanSohor

Second Unit
First of all, let me say, I don't know exactly what is on the "Timeless tales" discs... if you have all the films and tins, you most likely have everything, and if you don't have it all you will probably have it all by the time all the "treasures" tins come out.

I am a Disney nut and I won't even look at thost discs, for what its worth.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
These reviews should answer your questions and any more that may arise:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/timelesstales-v1.html

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/timelesstales-v2.html

The short answer is if you already have all the Walt Disney Treasures, then you have this content. Volume 3 in January seems to be "Disney Rarities Lite." If you don't have the Treasures, it's a reasonable alternative, as the shorts rank among the studio's finest work. But the DVDs are a little overpriced and the pan&scan approach on the widescreen cartoon merits fist-shaking.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Thanks Luke,

Knowing how Disney have made people wait in the past, I may get them just so I have Ferdinand the Bull and The Pied Piper now, in case they never come in any of the future Treasures.

JoeJ

Agent

Remember that Ferdinand the Bull will be on the Disney Rarities set in December, and hopefully in better condition than how it is presented on that disc (judging from the review).

I personally think that there is a good side to these Timeless Tales discs; they present classic animation from Disney in a method that kids who otherwise wouldn't be able to find them would come into contact with, and for people who don't want to spend $100 or aren't multi region in order to get some of the old Treasures tins that they arrived in. That aside, I don't really know what to say...

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, all the shorts on the upcoming Volume 3 will have been on DVD at one time; Ben and Me and Morris the Midget Moose are coming on the Disney Rarities set, Little Haiawatha was on the Region 1 Pocahontas 2 DVD, The Wise Little Hen was on the 1st Donald treasure and also the Silly Symphonies set, and The Golden Touch was on the latter set, too. Also, Casey at the Bat is a segment from the anthology film Make Mine Music, which is on DVD).

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I think the only thing you'd be missing is Donald In Mathmagic Land which if I'm not mistaken, was included on one those UK discs.

But I wouldn't worry about that considering we still have 2 more Chronological Donald Duck Treasures to go through as well as a very strong rumored Educational Treasure set from Leonard Maltin, so it's almost definitely going to surface in a more fitting context within the next two years I'd guess.

As for Ferdinand, it's scheduled to be released next month with the wave 5 Treasures on the Rarities set and Little Hiawatha would eventually appear on the follow-up Silly Symphonies V2 Treasure.

So in short, as others have already suggested - it's safe to pass.

Norman Matthews

Second Unit
I hadn't heard about the Educational set until just now. Man, if ten-year-old me could have known how excited I am to hear about that, I think he'd just about die of disbelief.

Funny how the bane of your existence can become an eagerly anticipated delight.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
I'm getting all of the Treasures and wouldn't bother to buy these other discs.

As for "Educational Treasure", I know there's been quite some wishful thinking (on the ultimatedisney forum), but has there been anything more than that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks