What's new

Disney's Robin Hood: Most Wanted Edition - 11/28/06!! (1 Viewer)

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
Davis DVD just put up the cover art and the prelimiary information for this release on their site. I've been waiting for this one a long time, as it's one of my favorite classic Disney animated features. The extras sound like they're definatly going to make double-dipping for this one worth it. :D

Cover Art: http://www.davisdvd.com/gallery/hi-res/dvd.html

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Yep. I'll be double dipping on it. A highly underrated Disney animated classic. Now I have to figure which nephew/niece gets my old copy when I upgrade.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
The only new extra feature is the deleted ending. I may make this one a rental, but I won't rebuy the title for this edition.

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
Remember that Disney/BVHV often doesn't put all their extras in the early information. Look at the recent release of Dumbo. Up until very close to the release date it wasn't even certain if the Audio Commentary from the 10th Anniversary Edition was going to be ported over.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Frankly, deleted scenes are the only extra I really care about, and would upgrade for. However, for me it's always about the movie, and since there's a new transfer, that would be the primary reason for someone to upgrade.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Not necessarily, especially when it comes to animated features...

This is definitely a "wait for reviews" purchase for me.

Colby

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Colby
I don't have the old disc, so I'll be getting this one. Hope it has the original sound mix, though. The current info just emphasizes the new 5.1 track.

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Did Disney primarily frame this picture for the "Wonderful World of Disney" TV show?

I saw this theatrically and owned the soundtrack album. I loved this movie some 33 years ago. I listened to the soundtrack album repeatedly.

Presumably it was framed for some sort of widescreen ratio when I saw it in the theater. Was this movie and The Jungle Book framed with the assumption that it would be shown most regularly on the Disney TV show?

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Disney did not frame this or 'Jungle Book' with the expectation it would show most frequently on their tv show. At that time it was almost unheard-of for the animated jewels to end up on tv. Except for an early tv showing of 'Alice In Wonderland' ( a box office dud ) and I believe ' Dumbo" the classics NEVER had tv showings until well into the video era, because theatrical reissues had so much value.

Like 'Jungle Book", this would have been matted to 1:85 for theatres in North America and 1:66 in most of Europe. Disney obviously are aiming this at the family crowd rather than the animation buffs with the full-frame presentation.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens

My friend, this is no "kiddie" movie.

This is one great Disney "Family" film.

I am for sure double dipping for this one.

Robin Hood and Little John running through the forrest.....:)

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
You are mistaken, Yu-Gi-Oh is a 'kiddie' movie, simply because if they had a choice, most parents would much rather do something else than have to sit through it with their children. The same can not be said about Robin Hood.

Besides, does it matter that it's 'kiddie' if it's good and enjoyable? I'd rather watch a good Disney animation than some trite crap like Aeon Flux or Van Helsing. Plus, this is vintage animation, which goes a long way in certain circles. :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

While this is strictly lesser lesser Disney, what makes it any different from talking cars in Cars? It's animation, so it's not like there's the rules of physics and biology have to follow. As long as a movie plays by its own rules (clearly it's simply a switch between human actors and human-like animals), there's no harm - if it's done right. Interesting concept, but it really lacks a decent story like the Flynn film. Still, Peter Ustinov as Prince John adds a lot (along with Terry-Thomas as Sir Hiss). Just not enough to make it a good movie.

I think there's even a subculture inspired by this and others like it. :crazy:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Good thing I held off grabbing this with my coupons this weekend. I'll be there since I don't have the original single disc.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
After the cinemascope / 70mm Lady and the Tramp and Sleeping Beauty I believe all the Disney films returned to being animated at full frame until The Rescuers, I believe. 70mm presentations and Cinemascope were limited by the number of venues, whereas almost any theatre could play an academy ratio film (now most cannot). Many of the films were still composed and shown at 1.66:1 - 1.85:1 as they were at 1.33:1, but they were animated for academy, so you're getting the full image. non-scope animated films in the 80s and 90s were usually composed at 1.66:1 because that's a more international standard and not enormously different from the US 1.85:1

Does anyone know what the alternate ending was?

It may be lesser Disney because of its reuse of animation from Bambi et al but Robin Hood has some terrific character animation and truly powerful moments such as Not in Nottingham.

and jim, when you say, 'if that's your thing' along with all your other derisive comments are you trying to imply you're somehow superior to us in taste? because that's how you're coming off.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

No, I did not mean to come off that way. I was honestly surprised at the level of interest in this title, as I feel it's definitely a kiddie movie. If you like that, then fine.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
It's art, as all movies are....especially animated films. And it is a different take on the Robin Hood legend. Disney films have always been made for all audiences. If anyone here doesn't like this film, then take your comments to another thread. I haven't purchased this film yet, but will now do so!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

It's probably the storyboards for the return of King Richard, wherein we actually see Robin Hood and the merry men defeat Prince John rather than having the rooster step from behind a tree after Robin Hood runs away and simply tell us that "the King came back and he straightened everything out."

It's not so much an alternate ending as it is an actual ending.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks