1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney's disposable DVD to hit test markets Sept 8

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Keith Paynter, Sep 8, 2003.

1. richardWI

richardWI Second Unit

2. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

I saw a TV spot for this last night and it claimed they never go bad, which is completely untrue.

3. Eric Emma

Eric Emma Supporting Actor

This is going fail... With my blockbuster rewards gold card, every time I rent a movie, I get a free old movie rental. I can keep the old retal for a week and the new one for 2 days and an evening which totally beating Disney plan... [​IMG]

4. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

I dont really understand the point of using older titles. I think most of these titles being tested have hit the Blockbuster previously viewed shelf sometime ago. It may make Disney see a lack of interest in this new venture. Aw darn.

However I dont really buy the environmental hazard. Blockbuster is a much worse offender on that end with throwing out the original DVD cases and placing the disc in new cases for rental/previously viewed.

5. Michael St. Clair

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

And now for the question none of us wanted to hear....

What if Disney's next release was only issued this way?

Glenn

7. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike

8. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike

9. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Why would anyone by a DVD which will only last for a few days????? Why? Why? When for a few dollars more they can buy one that's gonna last for many years? Especially children's films. Kids watch these things over and over and over. For an extra $10.00 the kids can watch the thing through adulthood.

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

11. Larry P

Larry P Stunt Coordinator

12. John_Berger

John_Berger Screenwriter

I'll just repost my original statements in the original thread regarding this abomination. (The quotes are also from the original thread.)

So, shall we all start to make wagers regarding how long it will take for Disney to make this their DVD standard, particularly on kids' titles?

Better yet! Let's guess how many pieces of non-biodegradeable plastic will now be added to the world's landfills each year because of this revolutionary new idea!

And what about disc cases that managed to get damaged in shipping or storage so that the 48-hour period starts before the customer actually goes to watch the disc?

Then of course we have the customers who will open the case, not reading the instructions to not open the case until they actually plan on watching the movie, and then complaining why their disc is unreadable a week after purchase.

Yessir, this is so-o-o much better than just renting a DVD locally or through NetFlix -- and with NetFlix you don't even have to go past your mailbox!

Disney just can't seem to get away from the Circuit City DIVX mentality, can they?

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

14. John_Berger

John_Berger Screenwriter

15. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Whoah...geez, I think this is a really dumb idea on Disney's part, but don't tear the guy apart for having a differing opinion.

This format is going to fail, no need to turn into Chicken Little, the sky is not falling, and especially no need to call the guy a lazy ass when you don't even know him.

Ah, KC is just an hour away, but I am flat broke and five days away from opening my new shop. If I had spare cash and a little time I'd run up there, grab one, and do a little experimentation with my new burner (strictly for the sake of experimentation...I have no remote interest in any of the titles released).

I'd assume there was some sort of above and beyond copy protection aside from just the chemical reaction, but considering how braindead this concept is to begin with,
    I doubt those in charge thought that far ahead.

16. John_Berger

John_Berger Screenwriter

17. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Premium
    Supporter

Carl III

I would like to see the projected sales figures that somebody came up with to get this project approved. For less than $5 I can buy either a bargain bin DVD from pretty much any retail store in town or I can do a traditional rental. If it were priced at $2.50 it just might stand a chance but there's no way people are going to pay more to get less.

18. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

It's being test-marketed in mid-size cities. This is normal. Large cities are too expensive. If you produce an quantity of product designed for the Chicago market and it fails, you've lost a lot of money. Peoria not so much. And Hicksville isn't big enough to give useful data.

19. John_Berger

John_Berger Screenwriter

20. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

Let's see , $7 for second rate movies with 0 features (want to bet on Pan-n-Scan?) . These are the movies that should normally sell for $5.99. I don't think that we're the target customer. So far they've picked titles that no on would want to rip. This test could be as much about who is renting and who is buying as it is about a new product.

They want to see if they can attract the person who got his player when he opened a new bank account and doesn't rent or buy movies (plays his CD on it). By comparing sales to changes in buying and renting patterns they may be able to determine just how many of those people there are (at least that's what someone hopes to do , I suspect.