1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney to distribute 'The Avengers', 'Iron Man 3' for Marvel

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Adam Lenhardt, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Well-Known Member

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=70864

Walt Disney Studios will pay Paramount Pictures $115 million for the distribution rights to The Avengers and the just-announced Iron Man 3. Disney will presumably be the sole distributor for Marvel long-term; Paramount will retain the distribution rights for the first two Iron Man movies and will distribute Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger for Marvel next year as planned.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it was probably inevitable since Disney bought Marvel. On the other hand, I think Paramount has done a great job nuturing Marvel's more obscure brands. Favreau and Paramount had a partnership that worked, with a marketing team that knew how to sell the movies he was making.

It'll be interesting to see how Columbia Pictures reacts if Disney tries to make overtures to them for the Spider-Man distribution rights.

2. Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez Well-Known Member

I'm hoping the next Spider-Man movie will fail so Columbia will give up on the franchise and hopefully sell the rights to Disney.

3. mattCR

mattCR Well-Known Member
    HW Reviewer

Matt
    Disney received 91.7% of the profit from Iron Man 2. This is not a shock that they would let this go to Disney, as they were making relatively little on it.

4. Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs Well-Known Member

Both Iron Man movies were produced by Marvel Studios, Paramount just distributed them, playing a relatively minor role. This is a totally different relationship than that of Sony's Spider-Man.

I.e. Paramount's getting paid what they would have made anyways, and Disney isn't getting their hands on Spider-Man any time soon.

5. TerryRL

TerryRL Well-Known Member

While Disney would absolutely love to have all of the Marvel properties under one roof (like WB does with all of the DC titles), as Zack pointed out the Marvel heroes housed at Sony (Spider-Man and Ghost Rider) and Fox (all X-Men titles, Daredevil, and the Fantastic Four) are going to stay right where they are.

Both Sony and Fox have ironclad contracts that keep those properties in their coffers as long as they continue to make movies within a certain amount of time. The two studios can technically sell the properties to Disney, but again, that ain't likely to happen within the foreseeable future.

6. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    I just watched The Avengers.... And The Hobbit. Being a time traveler is fun, isn't it?

7. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Well-Known Member

Greg
    Yep. The six 3D Star Wars movies were kind of a disaster, but it's really a relief that everyone responded so well to episodes 7 through 9. His experimental films were polarizing, but in a better way than the prequels were.

8. Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez Well-Known Member

Just a question: how did Marvel (or Paramount) get the rights to use the Hulk in The Avengers again? I can't remember how they got it from Universal. Thx.

9. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    The last Hulk movie was financed and produced by Marvel, not Universal.

10. emily1125

emily1125 New Member

You're right. But sometimes it's okay. I like Disney movies dvd. Its beauty makes me feel warm.