What's new

Disney saved me $15 today! (1 Viewer)

Thanks to their repeated stupidity, I won't be buying "Summer of the Monkeys" and "Tom & Huck". They're full screen. Thank God for my widescreen laserdisc of T&H. Thanks Disney. You saved me from previously buying "Heavyweights", "First Kid", plus others like "Snow Dogs".

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Yep, it really sucks. I'd been looking forward to Tom and Huck for years. Can't believe that all the time it took for the DVDs to come and they're a big, huge step down from the laserdisc. 2.35:1 movies in Pan & Scan. *sigh*

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I was planning on buying Tom & Huck too. Nope. No sale. There's simply no excuse when the LD is widescreen and they don't just use the same transfer for the DVD. Plus the horrible Adventures of Huck Finn from Disney is widescreen, why not this one too?

So I guess that means Operation Dumbo Drop is fullscreen too?:D

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Operation Dumbo Drop is another 2.35:1 pan & scan job, but at least that's been released in anamorphic widescreen in Europe.

That Huck Finn DVD is incredibly solid - anamorphic widescreen, commentary, trailer, featurette and $14.99 SRP. Everything I would have wanted for Tom & Huck, which I enjoyed a lot more, but alas everything is the completely opposite on that one - pan & scan, barebones, not even a trailer, $19.99 SRP. :frowning:

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
sigh... At this rate George of the Jungle will never be a part of my collection...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Every week in my Sunday post "The Weekly Roundup" (in the HTF Coupons & Bargains section), I list many of the hot new releases hitting during the coming Tuesday (or whatever the streetdate turns out to be...usually only Tue or Fri). The main Roundup grid shows what the prices will be at some of the brick-and-mortar chains (Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, Costco, Sam's).

I try to list the non-OAR titles in a brief paragraph near the top, to explain why they aren't in the Roundup grid. This week it was a "thanks for nothing, Disney" dedication:

I always have trouble spotting the Disney ones in advance, so it's fustrating on Sunday to have to look up back covers at DVDEmpire and DVDPlanet to "be sure". Luke, if you want to help me out, you could always e-mail me a list in advance! ;)

Indeed, I missed getting Tom & Huck onto that list! :eek: At least I didn't put it in the grid either...

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
I had Operation Dumbo Drop on preorder for a while and then cancelled when I just found out that it was P&S. Why does Disney hide the specs till just before release date on these "budget" titles?:angry: Guess, I'll be looking for the LBX laserdisc now.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
David and anyone else who might find it useful, one of the pages maintained on my site is a list of upcoming Disney DVD releases, with accurate details and specifications.

While Disney may not eagerly distribute the specs of their catalogue releases to e-tailers, you can get them from my site. Unfortunately, the last two batches of catalogue releases have been overwhelmingly MAR. :frowning:

It's always updated and as quickly as possible, so a quick visit might be helpful/time-saving when compiling the Weekly Roundup. :)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Be sure to call 1-800-72-DISNEY to let them know why you aren't buying them! I bought the Tom & Huck LD on clearance a while ago, guess I'll have to watch it soon!

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
LukeB, thanks for your link! I'll keep my eye on it next time a Disney disc comes up that I want to preorder. Do you happen to have info on their other division's titles (Hollywood Pictures, Touchstone, etc.)?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Do what Jesse says...call Disney and tell them that you wanted to buy it, but didn't bcs of the P/S and lack of OAR 16x9 WS. Be nice, but honest (see my sig for details...you can also send an email...but make an effort to call either way)...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
David and anyone else who might find it useful, one of the pages maintained on my site is a list of upcoming Disney DVD releases, with accurate details and specifications.
Luke, that's a great page and I have indeed been mining it for info...but you don't list the Mirimax/Touchstone/etc. titles, do you? Just the Disney, from what I've seen.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it's just the "Disney" films. Otherwise, I'd have like 10x the work, and the site would lose what little uniformity there is now - essentially family films with the "Disney" name on it.

Of course, it's the family films with the "Disney" name that Disney craps on with the MAR releases of catalogue titles. The other branches have been mostly widescreen.

*Sigh* :frowning:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, Disney, now that BLOCKBUSTER (who'd have thunk it?)is actually showing signs of supporting widescreen, what's your problem? The market research dept of BB, which just has to be one of most J6P-friendly on the planet, is suggesting people are finally starting to get educated about letterboxing and are slowly coming around to its benefits. Got that, DISNEY (which must have a market research dept. about on par with BB's)?

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
not only is disney saving me money, they are saving me room on my dvd shelves. the titles that I have passed on are in the double digits now.

Disney if you give us a chance we will give you our money. :)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Well, Disney, now that BLOCKBUSTER (who'd have thunk it?)is actually showing signs of supporting widescreen, what's your problem? The market research dept of BB, which just has to be one of most J6P-friendly on the planet, is suggesting people are finally starting to get educated about letterboxing and are slowly coming around to its benefits. Got that, DISNEY (which must have a market research dept. about on par with BB's)?
Maybe it's not Blockbuster. Maybe it's Wal-Mart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks