What's new

Disney Releases overheard at lunch (1 Viewer)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I had big ears at lunch today as a couple of guys from Disney spoke about upcoming restoration projects in the next booth. They were talking about release schedule... Sleeping Beauty in the Fall, then Pinocchio, then Snow White... They were also talking about the technical problems involved in going back into the editorial elements of the penguin dance from Mary Poppins. It sounds like they're going to restore each element separately and recomposite.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The 2-disc Mary Poppins has one mess of a transfer. Looks like they made a sub-par dupe negative from color separations. Given that the entre animation sequence is one long optical, that has to be 5-6 generations from the negative. Yuck. Even Lowry Digital Images couldn't save the transfer, given how smeary parts of the image end up in fast movement.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
I wonder how many times Disney can re-market a release of a film on DVD/Blu-Ray as "digitally restored & remastered" and "better than ever".

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I'm so sick of buying these same movies over and over.

The next time you see those guys at lunch, give them some kind of posthypnotic suggestion to release "Song of the South" already.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Why can't they remaster titles that were screwed up either via a bad transfer or censorship? Why can't they restore missing footage that was intended to be in the film but cut for various reasons? Why can't they release Song of the South?

They better get them right in Blu-Ray, because I don't want to have to buy them again.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

Agreed. A proper transfer on Blu-Ray (or SD, of course) could look [insert fake cockney accent]bee-utiful![insert fake cockney accent]:laugh:.

StevePA

Stunt Coordinator
I wish they'd redo the sound on "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea," as its 5.1 surround is sorely lacking. The things they could have done for the sound in that-it makes me weep:laugh:

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I would not go that far. The 2.0 mix on the 2-disc release is superior to both the "Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix" 5.1 track it shared the disc with and the 5.1 track on the original single layered DVD. I would also maintain that the picture on the original single-layered release was even more problematic than the picture on the re-release, although both are a long way from being "practically perfect in every way".

Regards,

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor

songofthesouth.net is reporting that the Sleeping Beauty PE may contain a preview of an upcoming release of Song of the South. Maybe it's finally going to happen. I read about it at Ultimate Disney & checked it out & it does sat it there. Cross your fingers.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

Do they have a heart attack smilie?

If it comes out, is unedited, and looks good. I'll have a triple coronary.

If there's also a Blu-Ray...

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Some help please. i was able to find the reference to SOTS preview on the "songof the south.com", but not @ wikipedia...can someone direct me to where it is found?...thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks