What's new

Disney - phone drive is 99.9% in favor of Pan and Scan!!! (1 Viewer)

Jim-M

Second Unit
Called a few minutes ago and registered my disappointment with the lack of widescreen versions for Snow Dogs and Muppet Treasure Island. The lady who took down the info was very polite and friendly. We have many planned Disney purchases in the next 6 months, so it's important to us that they be in their OAR. I'm so glad that Swiss Family Robinson and the other Vault Disneys coming out next month are anamorphic widescreen. Otherwise, I wouldn't purchase it for our family.

MikeZ

Auditioning
I just called and said and indicated that I would only buy wide-screen (or original aspect ratio) DVDs.

I called as well, I didn't get the name of ther person I called but she knew exactly why I was calling. She ended up clarifying whether I wanted full frame or widescreen (I said widescreen, of course) and she also recommended emailing [email protected]. It looks like we've at least educated the customer support reps. :) Here's hoping it will also cause a change in policy.
--Andrew

Alex S

Second Unit
I just called and spoke to Sarah who was very nice.
I told her I was a Magic Kingdom Club member and that I only buy Widescreen dvd's.
When i asked her about the aspect ratio of Snow Dogs she said "it hasn't been determined yet".
She also gave me an email addess to send your support for widescreen Disney dvd's:
[email protected]
Good Luck.
Alex S

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I just snuck away from work and found a phone to call; I didn't get the person's name but the first thing she asked was if this was regarding "Snow Dogs"; I let her know I got into laserdisc 9 years ago because of widescreen and that I was very disturbed by this apparent policy since laserdisc isn't around anymore, and that it was very bad of them to decide how a movie is going to be released based on what category it falls into. I made sure they knew that I had to go out of my way to call them since I'm at work when they're open and she said she'd pass everything on to the marketing department- she got my name, address and phone number- she didn't ask for my email address but suggested I also send an email (which I've already done.)

What I wish I could have demanded an explanation of is if demand for widescreen was high enough that their laserdiscs were ONLY in widescreen, then DVD killed the LD format off, and now they've got people demanding pan and scan on DVD, if they get rid of widescreen now what the hell are we supposed to do since we can't go back to LD???

Chris Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
All of this debate over WIDESCREEN/P&S seems like a never ending battle for everyone. I for 1 would rather have every studio release a 2 DVD set with both versions in every set. I would also pay a little extra $ for it also just to keep everyone happy. I understand some people prefer P&S while others(including myself) prefer WIDESCREEN. The way I look at it is this: would you rather have every movie come out in both versions with the same extras with no lack of quality in either version or would you rather have 1 group get screwed in their preference? Because WIDESCREEN will not win every time.:frowning:

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The battle never ends does it?

I was planning to buy Muppet Treasure Island but if it is in p&s only then they can forget it.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I DID tell her that I knew this was a controversial subject, but the ONLY way they are going to please EVERYONE is to put BOTH versions on the SAME disc whenever possible. That way we get the movie how it's supposed to be, and the people who "don't like the black bars" are happy too; problem solved at least until 16x9 TV owners start complaining about letterboxed 2.35 movies.

MGM has started a great trend by including both formats on nearly every new release, even using DVD-18's when needed. When in doubt, give the people a CHOICE!

Chris Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
Many other people won't either. But what I do notice more and more is this: go to a local store that sells DVDs. Stand around and listen for an hr. or 2. You will here so many complaints about "oh its in WIDESCREEN.Nevermind I don't want it." But how often do you hear someone say "oh this is P&S. I don't want that"? Near me many people do not want anything WIDESCREEN and that includes the new HDTVs. Many of my friends and family have this total hate of WIDESCREEN and everything about it. These people just don't want to change. This is a fact of life that not everyone likes exactly everything the same so I don't see why a choice can't just be offered so everyone is happy.

Chris M

Second Unit
One other DVD that Disney released P&S is The Incredible Jurney. My wife bought it (against my wishes) just because she loved the film that much. I did mention my disapointment of this movie to them as well when I called.
Chris.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
good news is that the orig Parent Trap, Pollyanna, Swiss Family Robinson, and Old Yeller will all be OAR and 16x9 (which applies to the first 3 as Old Yeller's OAR is 1.33:1).
The Disney web site indicates that Pollyanna will be 4:3 , but I do not know if that is correct OAR or not. Amazon says otherwise, and Disney has been vague of late. The Parent Trap and SFR are definitely widescreen and anamorphic.
Regards,

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Just sent this email to Disney (in addition to my phone call, of course :) ):
Dear Marketing,
Watching Disney DVDs on our widescreen TV is one of our family's favorite activities (We just watch Marry Poppins last night and invited the neighbors over to join us).
Like many other avid DVD collectors I'm shocked and upset to hear the Disney is planning on changing course from its past practice of preserving the original aspect ratio of DVD film-presentations in favor of several Pan-and-Scan 1.33:1 full-frame DVD transfers. Snow Dogs, Muppet Treasure Island and Muppet Christmas Carol are some releases that I have been eager anticipating. If they are released in a format that alters their original theatrical aspect ratio I won't be purchasing these titles. And yes, my family was looking forward to enjoying these titles with me.
I can understand how the average uneducated "video" buyer may not understand what the "black bars" on their TV are for and may become bothered by widescreen DVD presentations. However, I feel that Disney's approach to releasing several announced DVD titles in the P/S only format, which compromises the product for the true collector, (who demands to have his/her films on DVD in a format that preserves the Original Aspect Ratio), is the wrong solution. May I present your marketing team with some alternate suggestions to help your DVDs to become a win-win product for both audiences?
1.) Why not provide a brief video demonstration at the beginning of widescreen DVD titles to clearly illustrate the concept and benefit of widescreen? In my long experience as a movie collector and salesperson in the audio/video retail world, I know that the vast majority of those who complain about "the black bars" do so out of ignorance as to why they are there taking up space on their TV screen. Most often, after a brief comparison of a widescreen vs 4x3 DVD transfer (many DVDs provide both aspect ratio options making it easy to compare), they come to understand the principle of WS and from that point on they either prefer widescreen presentations or at least do not view it at an obstacle to their enjoyment of the video presentation.
I can assure you that most of the complaints you receive from consumers about the presence of "black bars" is born out of basic ignorance as to why they are there in the first place.
Here's an excellent example on the web of just what I'm talking about: http://www.ryanwright.com/ht/oar.shtml Please view this to better understand what I mean by "demonstration" of the widescreen concept.
Of course there will always be a small group of people who, even after being educated to the benefits of widescreen, still prefer a 4x3 full-frame image regardless of the missing picture information. However, these individuals are in the minority and don't constitute a group large enough to warrant the compromise of the integrity of the film when presented on DVD by altering its visual composition from the theatrical presentation.
Be Pro-Active and educate your consumers. The vast majority would come to understand and appreciate the widescreen format in the process. If you can have room a DVD for several minutes of previews you have room for a 3-minute demonstration of the benefits of widescreen.
2.) Provide both versions of the film whenever possible. Other studios do it. The ideal is for the same DVD sku to contain *both* versions so the consumer can make a widescreen or P/S selection from the single DVD product that they have purchased (Universal's practice of dual-releases is quite annoying as consumers often accidentally buy one version not realizing that another version is also available).
3.) When you don't have room for both versions due to cost or space issues, the correct decision should always be to present the film in its original aspect ratio and thereby preserve the artistic integrity of the movie. Consumers who want a 4x3 image to fill their TV now (because the studios, like yourself, have not taken any pro-active steps to educate them to the benefits of widescreen) will be the same consumers who will be demanding their titles in widescreen after the purchase of their 16x9 HDTV in the next 5 years. Since Disney often does not re-release titles for many years at a time, if we don't get the right (16x9 WS for titles 1.66:1 or wider OAR) disc the first time, we're basically out of luck for a decade until the title manages to reappear. Don't make us wait 10 years to get a 16x9 WS Muppet Treasure Island!
4.) This is perhaps the best solution. In addition to number 1 (educating the consumer about WS), there is a cheap and effective solution to provide dual-aspect-ratios with only one transfer: As long as the transfer is 16x9 anamorphic, and ranging in aspect ratio from about 1.66:1 to 1.85:1, you can encode a single 16x9 WS transfer that is then flagged to be panned-and-scanned on the fly by the DVD player. Criterion's "Last Temptation of Christ" uses this feature to generate a P/S version for those viewers wishing it and with great success. The mild letterboxing of the 1.85:1 image in a 16x9 frame would be not even be visible due to overscan.
Using this process, Disney need only cover the cost of producing a single 16x9 WS transfer. A separate P/S full-frame transfer is not needed and therefore space concerns on the disc are not an issue. The DVD player is now responsible for generating an on-the-fly 4x3 full-frame version for viewers selecting that option.
This method will not work effectively for wider aspect ratios like 2.35:1 as they will still be letterboxed in the 4x3 frame (because they were also letterboxed in the 16x9 frame) and it won't allow for "open matte" 4x3 transfers the may have revealed additional picture information in the full-frame version above and blow the 16x9 window area. However, it could serve very effectively for many, many DVD titles. And certainly would be preferred to a P/S only release!!!
Please take these suggestions seriously. We need your studio to carry the DVD format into the future (which is 16x9) and not saddle the collector with DVD product that has been compromised for obsolete display hardware as our home-theater systems continue to evolve. We need you to (1) Educate. (2) Provide options. (3) Maintain the integrity of the artistry of your films for the "true collector" and (4) take advantage of DVD features such as presenting dual-aspect-ratio DVD playback using a single 16x9 WS transfer. Why wouldn't your studio want to be a leader in the DVD market and release product that is optimized for the best quality possible...for both the avid movie collector and casual viewer?
I really was excited to hear that Muppet Treasure Island and Christmas Carol were finally coming to DVD. However, I will only be purchasing these titles if they are presented OAR WS 16x9. I want to enjoy these films in their original composition when I watch them with my family on our 16x9 television. My family and I won't watch them any other way.
Hopeful in the future,
David Boulet

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Impressive work, people. Thank you, DaViD, for taking such a stand. Can't wait to read the Disney press release that announces the studio's reversal.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Well, looks like another petition will have to be started. I sent in my email as well as lodge a formal complaint over the phone. Once a petition is started, it will probably be in our best interests to put that petition on our personal websites to squash this problem.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Really people, when have we had so much fun since fighting DIVX and saving Willy Wonka from 4x3 doom?

All of this debate over WIDESCREEN/P&S seems like a never ending battle for everyone. I for 1 would rather have every studio release a 2 DVD set with both versions in every set. I would also pay a little extra $ for it also just to keep everyone happy. I understand some people prefer P&S while others(including myself) prefer WIDESCREEN. The way I look at it is this: would you rather have every movie come out in both versions with the same extras with no lack of quality in either version or would you rather have 1 group get screwed in their preference? Because WIDESCREEN will not win every time.
I agree completely Chris. Read the email I posted a few posts above and tell me what you think.

-dave

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I just called also. And spoke to Kim. She took down all of the info. She did tell me that it is VERY IMPORTANT to email them. The reason being is that when they give their info to mrktg. It is just 200 people called about widescreen. Whereas when you email them. They can see read exactly what you want, what you are talking about and your reasons.

Lets, hope this does some good.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Wow, I was impressed with how quickly I was able to speak with someone. Working in the Helpdesk industry on a desk with PHENOMINAL call times, (average sub 30 sec)I was shocked to call Disney and get a real human with in a minute of placing the call.
I registered my complaints, and made certain that they know why I will not be purchasing the titles. I didn't mention that the only one I would likely purchase originally was Snowdogs (as a gift to my mother - my parrents finally have a DVD player).
I might still try the purchase and return tactic as well. Disney, and all the other studios need to learn this lesson:
NO OAR = NO SALE.
This has to stick.
God, imagine if laserdiscs started going up in price because they started becoming the "film buff's" format again?!? ;)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I just called up and this is what I told them...
"I want ALL DVDs in OAR... Original Aspect Ratio... I will not buy any DVDs that are in Pan and Scan"
she added my name and comment to their database... so, there ya go! They were actually very nice :D
Viva OAR! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks