What's new

Disney MOD program begins - Disney Generations (1 Viewer)

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Even if Disney does have plans to release it, there's a good chance they might cut the Tar Baby scene out. I think that was the one scene that many who found the film racist complained about the most. Why else would they change the trap on Splash Mountain from a Tar Baby to a beehive?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by vnisanian2001

Even if Disney does have plans to release it, there's a good chance they might cut the Tar Baby scene out. I think that was the one scene that many who found the film racist complained about the most. Why else would they change the trap on Splash Mountain from a Tar Baby to a beehive?

They will not release it under the current management, and I doubt that it would be as an MOD in the currently unlikely instance that they changed their mind. It's partially animated and historically significant, so they'll go all out or not at all. Of course, there's that one character from Fantasia who was whitewashed from the film (no pun intended, I seriously stress this).

And the complaints were not just about the Tar Baby. They were about the film as a whole. And I wouldn't be a bit surprised that the volume of the complaints in the audio sense was greater than the volume of the complaints in the numerical sense. Frankly, I'd rather they not release it at all than try to cut it or alter it in any way. No one who wants it wants a bowdlerized version.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by MatthewA

They will not release it under the current management, and I doubt that it would be as an MOD in the currently unlikely instance that they changed their mind. It's partially animated and historically significant, so they'll go all out or not at all. Of course, there's that one character from Fantasia who was whitewashed from the film (no pun intended, I seriously stress this).

And the complaints were not just about the Tar Baby. They were about the film as a whole. And I wouldn't be a bit surprised that the volume of the complaints in the audio sense was greater than the volume of the complaints in the numerical sense. Frankly, I'd rather they not release it at all than try to cut it or alter it in any way. No one who wants it wants a bowdlerized version.

I agree with you whole heartily. The powers that be do not want anything that could happen to upset them in these poor financial times. A major boycott would reach from the Parks, to ABC, to ESPN and the possibility of black sports players refusing to appear on any of the the networks as is their right. To the lowering of film, DVD, Blu-ray, and stream income. The affect could be disastrous. On the other hand if handled right, it would advance the fortunes of the company three fold.

On the other other hand I applaud their effort to get into the MOD program, especially if it brings us Mooche and Sammy The Way Out Seal. And I did not forget Gallagher.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by ahollis

I agree with you whole heartily. The powers that be do not want anything that could happen to upset them in these poor financial times. A major boycott would reach from the Parks, to ABC, to ESPN and the possibility of black sports players refusing to appear on any of the the networks as is their right. To the lowering of film, DVD, Blu-ray, and stream income. The affect could be disastrous. On the other hand if handled right, it would advance the fortunes of the company three fold.

Or it could just be much ado about nothing. I don't even think the NAACP cares one way or the other. There is no more ground to cover on this topic, but yes, I am glad to see Disney finally doing an MOD program. But if we see more slapdash discs like Amy then I'm not going to bother.

Is there any way to get through to Disney to advocate for better quality releases?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by ahollis

On the other other hand I applaud their effort to get into the MOD program, especially if it brings us Mooche and Sammy The Way Out Seal. And I did not forget Gallagher.

One would think that they could get out in front of it, get the NAACP or similar group on board, do a few PSAs to run on the front of it explaining that it was a product of its time, etc.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Hey, MatthewA, just out of curiosity, do you have the Japanese laserdisc of SOTS (or at least a homemade copy of said Japanese laserdisc)? The home video releases from Japan are the only way to see the film in its true form, given that they're not sped-up like the PAL copies are.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I have the SOTS Japanese laser with the burned in subs. It's a harmless film that is more about the stories being told to the children then anything else.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by TonyD

I have the SOTS Japanese laser with the burned in subs.

It's a harmless film that is more about the stories being told to the children then anything else.

My Laser copy is treated as gold in my house and have a couple of DVD-r backups. And your right it is a very harmless story, it just has a reputation that will not go away by a lot of people that have never seen the film.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

Hey, MatthewA, just out of curiosity, do you have the Japanese laserdisc of SOTS (or at least a homemade copy of said Japanese laserdisc)? The home video releases from Japan are the only way to see the film in its true form, given that they're not sped-up like the PAL copies are.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Add my name to this mix as well. And I end up watching it once or twice a year, too, about as much as I watch my other Disney classics.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
This MOD program, if it's not a one-shot thing here, looks very half-baked right now. I hope there is some way the contact the individuals involved in this branch of the home video department that such masters simply won't do. MGM (partially) and Warner Bros cleaned up their act, so it's reasonable to expect some sort of quality control in the future.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
MatthewA said:
Or it could just be much ado about nothing. I don't even think the NAACP cares one way or the other. There is no more ground to cover on this topic, but yes, I am glad to see Disney finally doing an MOD program. But if we see more slapdash discs like Amy then I'm not going to bother.

Is there any way to get through to Disney to advocate for better quality releases?
What do you mean by slapdash? Doesn't MOD just about always mean slapdash? I am glad Disney is starting this service, but these initial titles are very perplexing. Is there much demand for these?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by JoHud

What do you mean by slapdash? Doesn't MOD just about always mean slapdash? I am glad Disney is starting this service, but these initial titles are very perplexing. Is there much demand for these?

I can't speak for others but Amy was the only one of the initial titles I had any interest in. A Facebook friend saw my review, and the first thing he asked was "when will they do Song of the South?"

A few years ago I would have complained to anyone who would listen but ultimately sucked it up since my complaints would have fallen on deaf ears. But I'm a different and more mature person now, and I feel like actively advocating for better releases and framing my arguments in a positive way.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
MatthewA said:
Disney responds to pressing errors. They have not, as yet, responded to complaints about using outdated or MAR transfers, but it doesn't hurt to try. Here's how to get in touch with them:
Thanks, I inquired about Amy in particular, as it is the only one I was interested in. While MGM/Fox still release problematic MOD discs, there have been some improvements on their end. Hopefully, if this one intends on continuing, Disney Generations gets some quality releases.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Jason_V

My sister would get an absolute thrill out of having Mr. Boogedy on DVD, along with Fuzzbucket, so count me in if they hit MOD.

Your wish is Disney's command: Fuzzbucket is available.

milojthatch

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason Schlierman
John Pannozzi said:
This site and Facebook Page are aiming to persuade Disney into using this service to exploit their vast TV and film library.
Thanks John. Yes folks, in fact that is exactly what we are trying to do over at Open Vault Disney. We have letter writing campaigns going and are attempting to persuade Disney to finish what they started with things like "The Disney Treasures" or the start of the "Disney Afternoon" shows that had been released. Our hope is that 2012 is a very good year for Disney fans, but we need all the help we can get for Disney to listen to us!

milojthatch

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason Schlierman
I am very pleased to share this breaking news with all of you! http://openvaultdisney.wordpress.com/2011/12/05/breaking-news-two-new-generations-collection-titles-to-be-released/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks