What's new

Disney just bought LucasFilm! - Will Disney release the Original Versions of Star Wars? (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/disney-acquires-lucasfilm-star-wars-creator/
This is probably the only way I'd ever suggest that was possible.
They've also announced STAR WARS SEVEN.
Wow.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Before everyone goes crazy, more than likely this does not supersede standing distribution deals for the previous Star Wars and Indiana Jones films with Fox and Paramount, respectively (and the other Lucasfilm catalog titles).

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It my not supersede current distribution deals with Fox, Paramount, Warner and Universal, but Disney will now control what form of content will be distributed by those companies. I'm pretty sure Uni will be more than willing to hand Howard the Duck and Radioland Murders to Disney, but consider the following possibility..........

THE STAR WARS HOLIDAY SPECIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can see it now........

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Brandon Conway said:
Before everyone goes crazy, more than likely this does not supersede standing distribution deals for the previous Star Wars and Indiana Jones films with Fox and Paramount, respectively (and the other Lucasfilm catalog titles).
20th Century Fox would own the first 6, but 7 and onward through Disney; wouldn't that confuse the saga?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I think it means more new content; that's all that's really going to be profitable for Disney. More movies and theme park attractions as well as furtherance of the franchise far into the future. Wouldnt jump onto the "OT on Bluray" bandwagon just now.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
darkrock17 said:
20th Century Fox would own the first 6, but 7 and onward through Disney; wouldn't that confuse the saga?
I thought Lucas owned the merchandising rights and everything but Star Wars Episode IV?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Lucas owns everything - Fox used to own the first film, but sold the rights back to Lucas in exchange for distribution rights to the prequels.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Worth /t/324824/disney-just-bought-lucasfilm-will-disney-release-the-original-versions-of-star-wars#post_3995418
Lucas owns everything - Fox used to own the first film, but sold the rights back to Lucas in exchange for distribution rights to the prequels.
I knew there was something in there. Disney said that Fox has distribution rights to the first 6, but starting with number 7 they will distribute. No budget set for film 7 set yet.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Also I doubt Fox has distribution rights in perpetuity.
At some point that deal will run out and then Disney will bring everything in house.
I mean, just Star Wars exploitation at the theme parks alone is going to be huge value for Disney.
I bet Kathleen Kennedy was put in charge of LucasFilm just to arrange this sale...

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein /t/324824/disney-just-bought-lucasfilm-will-disney-release-the-original-versions-of-star-wars#post_3995427
Also I doubt Fox has distribution rights in perpetuity.
At some point that deal will run out and then Disney will bring everything in house.
True, but it could be decades for all we know.

It's also possible that Disney and Fox collaborate on releases down the road, but those are always tricky (see: Warner/DC and Fox for Batman 60s TV show).

Disney bought Lucasfilm for future Star Wars properties. Films 7-9; films 10-?; the upcoming live action TV show, theme parks, merchandise, and so on.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Brandon Conway said:
True, but it could be decades for all we know.
It's also possible that Disney and Fox collaborate on releases down the road, but those are always tricky (see: Warner/DC and Fox for Batman 60s TV show).
Disney bought Lucasfilm for future Star Wars properties. Films 7-9; films 10-?; the upcoming live action TV show, theme parks, merchandise, and so on.
Yeah that's what this is really about... not the old stuff. I honestly do hope they get around to doing that tv series...that'd be nice.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Jeff Ulmer said:
I have a bad feeling about this... :)
If it were still 1999, I'd agree. But Lucas has set the bar so low of late that even James Cameron in a robot sub couldn't find it...

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2012/10/30/lucasfilm-disney-more-star-wars-and-great-times-for-fans/
Some really interesting comments from Steve Sansweet
Enjoy

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
1. I wonder how the sale will impact Indiana Jones.
2. I wonder if the box-office disappointment of Red Tails and all the fan-hate on the internet did not discourage George Lucas from continuing.
3. Disney is getting to big. Correction: Disney is too big.
4. Disney is notoriously dense when it comes to hearing the wishes of fans with regard to its back-catalog titles. They are still releasing analog-era transfers of their widescreen films in full frame and pan & scan. Some film and television properties they've never released. So don't look for the original 1977 theatrical edit of Star Wars on blu-ray anytime soon.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Indiana Jones is very much tied up with Paramount. Disney said while it will own LucasFilm's rights to IJ, it wasn't a factor in the purchase.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
I wonder what this means for Rick McCallum.
Very happy to see Kathleen Kennedy stepping in to the executive producer role.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I can see it now --
Star Wars VII: Buzz Lightyear Joins the Jedi
Yoda sings the hit song "Sing on Key, or Sing Not -- There Is No Try"

Ruly2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Josh
looks like Disney will have their hands full:
Star Wars: Episode VII (2015)
Star Wars: Episode VIII (2018)
Star Wars: Episode IX (2021)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks