What's new

3D Disney Does it again...No 3D Bluray announced for "Maleficent." (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
MatthewA said:
Why do I feel like we'll be having this conversation again over Big Hero 6?
Hopefully there is some magic gizmo in the new server where they can just preemptively create that complete thread already. Replace Maleficent with Big Hero 6.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
At least we can import for about the cost of the overpriced editions they used to sell here. Disney has really screwed the 3D TV owners. Thanks for all the "Disney 3D' promotions a couple years ago enticing us to commit to 3D blu-ray and then turning your back on us when your fantasy profit expectations lacked the golden pixie dust sheen. Give the stockholders what they want not the paying public.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Having seen Big hero 6, it would be criminal not to release a 3D BD. It's one of the more adventurous uses of the format by a major studio, though still not up to the level of A Turtle's Tale or Thunder and the House of Magic.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Watched my 3D Maleficent BTW, despite the less than stellar reviews I thought the 3D looked great. Shame on Disney for not releasing it here. I have another US-snubbed title, Step Up All In, coming on the same order also.

darkness2918

Second Unit
Real Name
Tony
SFMike said:
At least we can import for about the cost of the overpriced editions they used to sell here. Disney has really screwed the 3D TV owners. Thanks for all the "Disney 3D' promotions a couple years ago enticing us to commit to 3D blu-ray and then turning your back on us when your fantasy profit expectations lacked the golden pixie dust sheen. Give the stockholders what they want not the paying public.
At least you can import the UK 3D versions though.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Its not like I cannot view these in my home in 3D. There are other means besides discs. I will be purchasing my Disney 3D films via VUDU now. They have thre recent hits and I will be going there.

darkness2918

Second Unit
Real Name
Tony
Towergrove said:
Its not like I cannot view these in my home in 3D. There are other means besides discs. I will be purchasing my Disney 3D films via VUDU now. They have thre recent hits and I will be going there.
I think for a lot of people, its not just about seeing the movie but also owning & collecting the disc. The 3D discs also have very nice lenticular slipcovers sometimes.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
darkness2918 said:
I think for a lot of people, its not just about seeing the movie but also owning & collecting the disc. The 3D discs also have very nice lenticular slipcovers sometimes.
I see what your saying and I'm sure that my view will be the minority here in a BD3D forum but as a mother with kids that want to watch and own their favorite Disney films so that they can be watched at home at any time they choose, there are other options than disc for ownership of the film disney produces in 3D. I guess I would feel a little different if the 3-D movies Disney releases were not available for purchase in any format but that simply is just not the case here. These films look just fine on my 160 inch projection screen.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
It's not just about owning and collecting for me, although that's important too. It's about being able to sell the disc if I no longer want it. Financial flexibility is important to me. If VUDU allowed me to actually sell what I "owned" to others, I'd be more interested.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Towergrove said:
I see what your saying and I'm sure that my view will be the minority here in a BD3D forum but as a mother with kids that want to watch and own their favorite Disney films so that they can be watched at home at any time they choose, there are other options than disc for ownership of the film disney produces in 3D. I guess I would feel a little different if the 3-D movies Disney releases were not available for purchase in any format but that simply is just not the case here. These films look just fine on my 160 inch projection screen.
Except that some of us don't consider Digital as ownership. They can take it away at any time. As noted elsewhere, MAELFICENT was removed from the VuDu libraries of people who bought it at 19.99. If they wanted it back, they had to pay an additional $15.00. With disc, that wouldn't have happened...I doubt Disney/Vudu would have come to owners homes and stolen it in the middle of the night because they wanted more money. And, when Sony dropped CinemaNow, I lost a few of the films. They were still available via the Internet account but not on the TV. Disc is actual ownership, Digital is conditional storage.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
RJ992 said:
Except that some of us don't consider Digital as ownership. They can take it away at any time. As noted elsewhere, MAELFICENT was removed from the VuDu libraries of people who bought it at 19.99. If they wanted it back, they had to pay an additional $15.00. With disc, that wouldn't have happened...I doubt Disney/Vudu would have come to owners homes and stolen it in the middle of the night because they wanted more money. And, when Sony dropped CinemaNow, I lost a few of the films. They were still available via the Internet account but not on the TV. Disc is actual ownership, Digital is conditional storage.
This happened recently with Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Digital is all about the studio having control to tell you what you watch, where you watch and how you watch. They can pull it at any time or modify the version you "bought." The disc on the shelf? That's ownership. No one is going to take that away from me.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
RJ992 said:
Except that some of us don't consider Digital as ownership. They can take it away at any time. .
I'm not sure what you mean by this. If I download a purchase to my hard drive how are they going to take that away from me? It is impossible in my opinion and has never happened with a download that I am aware of. If you know of a instance that this is happened please let me know because I have scoured the Internet and have been unable to come up with a modern instance.I have many iTunes purchases on my server. Even in the Amazon video terms of purchase it says that once you download the video it is yours. They even recommend that you download your video and don't rely on the stream as a long-term back up of your purchase.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Vudu allows anybody to view files from the HDD without authentication from a remote server. You have to acquire DRM authentication every time you want to watch. So you can't watch your video on the HDD until you pay the full price Disney demanded.

Disney can remove access to "your" movie anytime they want. For some, like myself, these terms are not acceptable.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I just snagged Maleficent 3D Blu-ray as a lightning deal from Amazon UK. The lightning deal was for £12.50 (normally £17.99), however the lightning deal price doesn't include VAT, so it's not quite as good a deal as it would seem. It came out to $25.33 shipped.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Well, looks like THE FINEST HOURS, Disney's new action movie which was in IMAX 3d is only getting a 2D release.

Can I please ask everybody on this thread to start to make some noise? You can post on Disney Blu-ray Facebook page about their 3D policy, maybe if enough people took a few minutes it would hit someone who actually cares at the studio.

Link to Disney Blu-ray Facebook Page to make a post:

https://www.facebook.com/Disney-Blu-Ray-341497576030/

Here is the contact form on Disney's website, please fill this out about their 3D policy:

https://www.disneystudioshelp.com/contact-bddvd.html

Here is the phone number of the Walt Disney Company ask for their DVD and Blu-ray department and talk to someone (in a friendly way) about how we want their 3D titles (I think this number is current):

(818) 560-1000

Here is another Disney contact: Select "Other" and continue to fill out the forms.

https://help.disney.com/en_US/Disney...e=Disney-Video

This seems to be the correct email for Bob Iger, head of Disney, send him an email about releasing 3D blu-rays"

[email protected]

And take 10 minutes and print out a letter, it is known that these people are much more apt to read a real printed letter than an email:

Bob Iger, President
Walt Disney Studios
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521

If we all take some time to do this, imagine how many requests there could be from Facebook, emails, snail mail, ect. We have to keep pushing and take a pro-active stance. PLEASE everyone, lets see if we can get our voice heard by ALL people wanting Disney 3D blu-rays!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The lack of a "Finest Hours" domestic 3D Blu-ray release is not surprising, as Disney no longer supports Blu-ray 3D releases for their Disney-branded titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks