What's new

Disney buys LucasFilms for $4.05 billion (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Mikael Soderholm said:
Yeah, well, it will be around but in the form of animation, not sure that's what I'd like...;)
A bad feeling I have about this...
The Clone Wars cartoon is excellent. Not every episode is a winner but some are amazing. I recommend the show to anyone who likes Star Wars even a little.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Wow I never thought this would happen while George Lucas was still alive.
It does make perfect sense business wise

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
I'm pretty excited about this. Now if they'll just let Joss direct it, we could have some truely epic Star Wars movies!
I'm curious about what they'll do with Indiana Jones though, I can't imagine they'll let it sit.
It's going to be an interesting couple months as we wait to hear the plan for all this.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Ryan-G /t/324825/disney-buys-lucasfilms-for-4-05-billion/30#post_3995493
I'm curious about what they'll do with Indiana Jones though, I can't imagine they'll let it sit.

Probably let it move forward with Paramount taking the lead. Marvel is still distributed Theatrically by Paramount, so there's a bit of precedent.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It can't be Joss. he's committed to Avengers in the May, 2015 slot. And Disney wants Star Wars for the July 2015 slot. He can't do both.

So the question is who else is out there that you think would do a good job with it?

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I say let Spielberg finally direct one. He was supposed to direct Episode VI before things fell through.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
mattCR said:
It can't be Joss.  he's committed to Avengers in the May, 2015 slot.  And Disney wants Star Wars for the July 2015 slot.   He can't do both.
So the question is who else is out there that you think would do a good job with it?
I'd have to go with Nolan. Peter Jackson has a pretty good history of epic movies, but he's tied up. Yates might not be a bad choice either.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Wow, 2015 is going to be a pretty big year with The Avengers 2, Justice League and now the new Star Wars! I think Fox wanted to get the Fantastic Four re-boot out in 2015 as well. Where the heck will they fit it?!!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just realized that the press releases say episode 7 in 2015 with films to follow every 2-3 years. No cap on how many. I know we all recall the episodes 7-9 rumors and so we all naturally expect a new trilogy. But upon rereading that statement it sounds like SW could become James Bond like! Not sure how to feel about that.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
Carlo Medina said:
Just realized that the press releases say episode 7 in 2015 with films to follow every 2-3 years. No cap on how many. I know we all recall the episodes 7-9 rumors and so we all naturally expect a new trilogy. But upon rereading that statement it sounds like SW could become James Bond like! Not sure how to feel about that.
I was actually thinking the same thing, but the recent Disney has been firing on all 8 cylinders, so I'm inclined to trust their judgement at present. Especially if they start branching out into other characters. There's a wealth of existing material for them to work with, this has alot of potential to go in the right direction, I'm thinking JJ Abrams Star Trek right now (Which now that I think about it, he'd make a good director too)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It's been a while I have not posted here. I have to say I had one of the biggest shock reading this news. I'm really happy with this news and see great potential and future for Star Wars movies now that Lucas has no direct involvement. Really great news.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I hope they release the original versions on Bluray. I also held off and for the first time in my life I didn't buy a Star Wars release on a digital medium. Enough is enough!
I have to say I have even greater respect for Spielberg with what he has done with the E.T. bluray and how he has changed his mind (His AICN interview). If he has changed his mind like that, maybe we will see the original Star Wars too.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
This is huge! When I first heard I thought it to be something from The Onion. Then I was dubious, but now I'm just a giddy fanboy again. So much incredible talent out there to do this universe justice. This is exciting!
(And I agree with Travis, Clone Wars on Cartoon Network is often very good indeed)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Wow I never thought this would happen while George Lucas was still alive.
That actually has me wondering if possibly George recently got some bad news healthwise.
Considering all the trouble he's gone to change the originals and not release them, I'd be surprised if the sale didn't allow Lucas to still keep the 'old' versions buried. I've love to be wrong though.
I would find it hard to believe Disney would pay that much money and not be able to release the original versions if they wanted to. (Of course, I wonder really how lucrative the release would be. People like us would like to think it would be huge money maker, but outside of, forgive the expression, Star Wars Nerds, does the general public really care that much?)
I say let Spielberg finally direct one. He was supposed to direct Episode VI before things fell through.
I thought it was the DGA that wouldn't allow Spielberg to direct a Star Wars film since George left the Guild. (Although, I guess, why was Spielberg able to direct the Indiana Jones movies)

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I think this could be a great move long term. It should be interesting to see where the franchises go from here.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Lucas and Kennedy stated in one of the interview videos that they've developed a treatment with other writers for Episodes 7, 8 and 9 as the third trilogy. They indicated that there are limitless possibilities for additional films in the Star Wars Universe after that, but it's trilogy that is coming next.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks