What's new

Disney buying Marvel (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It was announced today that the Walt Disney company is buying Marvel Entertainment for $4 billion.

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/31/disney-to-buy-marvel-entertainment-for-4-billion/

I wonder what this means for Marvel's slate of movies? I shouldn't affect licensed properties (Spider-Man/Sony, X-Men/Fox, etc.) but I wonder if the in-house films (Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, etc.) will see changes to schedules, or be distributed by Disney (Iron Man 2 seems iron-clad with Paramount).

It also means that the two largest comic book companies will be owned by two of the largest media companies.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Huge news. I just saw it an hour ago.

That is a lot of scratch for the characters, so I am assuming they must already have some plans. Marvel Studios will still do their thing, but I'll be interested in any crossover ideas (Mickey Mouse comics, X-Men rides and plushies, etc) with the Mouse House.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
wow...i was just about to post this too. I just saw the news on Fox.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think what this may also mean is a resurgence of Marvel animated series. DC has been very successful with it's animated direct to DVD product.. look at "Batman" "Superman" etc. DC products that were issued out in direct to DVD.
Disney would be able to offer them full access to "toon disney" type programming alternatives for Marvel, as well as provide immediate in house direct to DVD productions.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Actually, The Spectacular Spider-Man (on Disney XD, S1 available for like $20) is good. REAL good. It's not Batman:TAS or JLU, but it's the best Spidey cartoon in my lifetime. Regarding the Direct to DVD movies, yeah, Marvel needs work there.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I've long said that, although I loved TDK and BB, "Batman: Mask of the Phantasm" is still the best Batman movie I've ever seen at capturing what the comic books were all about.
Accomplish something like that for some Marvel properties.. would be nice.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
John Lasseter met with Marvel officials last week, so expect to see Pixar movies focusing on Marvel characters in the future. Disney now owns the rights to more than 5,000 characters so the studio has several options for movies (animated and live-action), television projects, straight-to-DVD features, etc. As stated with the deal, Paramount, Sony, and Fox will retain their film rights (for now) to the characters Spider-Man, the key players from the Avengers, and the various characters from the X-Men universe.

Whether you love Disney or not, this is absolutely huge news.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I don't want a bunch of Pixar/Marvel movies. But one or two a decade would be awesome :) I'd like Pixar to focus on their own stuff, with an occasional foray into superheroics.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I can't read the article for some reason.
John Lasseter also oversees the parks, so it could be that he's talking about that. Seems more probably than Pixar doing Marvel adaptations.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I posted this in the After Hour Lounge, did not realize this was here. I wonder what happens to any future animated or theatrical releases now that Disney will own the rights.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how this will affect Marvel characters & rides at Universal Studios Orlando? Although, they are building a big Harry Potter themed park there. So I guess they can just convert everything.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Universal Lawyers have said their contract lasts basically forever.
However, there is some question on whether or not it's exclusive.. and more then that, does DIsney really care? I mean, the agreement Universal made with Marvel still counts as income to Marvel (now DIsney) every year.. so if Disney has to live with it, I don't think they will have trouble cashing checks from Universal forever :)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
From the NYT article:
Quote:
Certain Marvel characters can be immediately integrated into Disney’s theme parks in California, Paris and Hong Kong. (For now, Walt Disney World in Florida is off limits because of a pact Marvel has in place with Universal Studios there.)
There was also some talk of exploiting some of Marvel's lesser-known characters for film or animation projects.

It's going to take some months to see how everything shakes out, but I would bet that we start to see some animated projects first. Feature films will certainly follow. Disney didn't spend $4 billion just to get a bunch of comic books. (The question for comic book fans is will Disney's family-friendly image affect the content?)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I enjoyed reading some die hard comic fan responses yesterday. Some thoughts on that:

1) Marvel was once owned (in the 1990's) by Revlon. REVLON.
2) Disney could give a rat's ass about the comics. Seriously. The annual profits from the various monthly comics are in the rounding errors for how much Disney makes overall from parks, movies, toys, games, etc. They want the properties, not the monthlies. As long as monthlies basically break even, Disney won't care at all. Hopefully, some of their talent will want to write a mini-series or an arc. Who wouldn't want a Brad Bird Avengers mini-series? But I'd imagine things like that will be the extent of Disney involvement with the monthlies.
3) Shouldn't most superhero comics BE family friendly? They are a medium suitable to a variety of storytelling, but superheroes are decidedly wish-fulfillment. Specifically aimed at young boys (and some young girls).

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chuck Mayer

3) Shouldn't most superhero comics BE family friendly? They are a medium suitable to a variety of storytelling, but superheroes are decidedly wish-fulfillment. Specifically aimed at young boys (and some young girls).
Exactly my thought. Marvel's (and DC's for that matter) attempts at "mature" themes in their superhero comics have been largely embarrassing (I loved how in Civil War they tried to solve a political problem by ineffectually punching each other for a few issues) so a return to something simpler and more all-ages in tone would be totally fine with me. I'm not sure what Disney will do overall, but their reputation for stricter controls over content and branding might protect Marvel from its worst impulses.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by Chuck Mayer
Depends on your definition. I can't imagine Disney would have backed DC or Marvel in the early 70s when they put out stories dealing with drugs. That was considered inappropriate for children by a lot of folks. Disney has always protected their family-friendly reputation (to the extent of not putting out films like Song of the South on home video). The opportunity for them here is to create another level of sophistication, and appeal to a slightly older audience of kids than they are used to.

Seems like a good deal for Marvel. Disney will no doubt leave the comics alone, and Marvel will benefit by increased exposure through video games, merchandising, cartoons and feature films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks