What's new

Disney and Lions Gate for HD DVD? Petition (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
For the sake of discussion, there were combination LD and DVD players. My first DVD player was a Pioneer DVL-700. Pioneer also manufactured a DVL-909 combination player. While the dynamics of the situations are different, there was something of a 'war' between the formats in the early days of DVD. I certainly recall the Image 'Exclusively on Laser Disc' advertisements.

Whether combination HD DVD / Bd players are manufactured is anyone's guess. I wouldn't be surprised if someone does market a combination player to take advantage of the confusion over format support at the consumer level.

- Walter.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member

Unlike HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, VHS and Beta were different sizes and threaded differently, making a combo player that was anything but two players stuck together an impossibility. And all DIVX players played DVDs.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
Correct on the above.

But it will happen. As much as the HD DVD haters don't like the idea, a combo player will happen, both formats will be available to the consumer of that device and they will get the best of both worlds. I don't understand how anyone would be against the idea of a device that allows a single box to to it all, but the proof is in the posts above mine.

That consumer will be able to watch both Blu Ray and HD DVD in all the high definition glory that they can handle. This is not a bad thing.

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
It could very easily be argued that a format war will slow down any acceptance of HD media by the mainstream public. Certainly most advice in mainstream journals is to wait for the "war" to play out - in the few places even noticing this new HD opportunity. Since studios tend to release more titles in formats with larger markets, this could well impact the number and quality of releases available on either HD format, which would in turn effect the number of consumers willing to buy into a new format. A vicious circle.

Frankly it's hard to see how having both formats available anything beyond the short term could be seen as being in any way positive. From retailers, to consumers, to studios, this isn't a situation anyone really seems to want. Throw in the additional licenses and costs inherent in a dual format player, which means more expensive to purchase, and you have an all round losing idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks