What's new

Dishnetwork losing Viacom channels.... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I posted this in audio/video sources. But, I think this is the proper forum for it.

This was in Television week:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EchoStar Communications' DISH Network satellite service will stop carrying signals from CBS's 15 owned-and-operated television stations at midnight Monday if the satellite company and CBS parent Viacom can't resolve a legal dispute over retransmission fees and the networks EchoStar must carry.

The deadline stems from a restraining order imposed by a federal judge that was set to expire March 8, after which EchoStar must cease airing those 15 O&Os if the two companies have not reached a settlement. Local affiliates not owned by Viacom are not affected.

At issue is the rate EchoStar must pay Viacom to retransmit CBS and which cable networks the satellite operator must carry. Specifically, EchoStar officials are balking at Viacom's demand that in order to carry CBS it must also carry the Nickelodeon GAS channel. EchoStar filed an antitrust suit against Viacom to challenge the media giant's demands.

If no agreement can be reached by the deadline, all of the Viacom networks carried by EchoStar would go dark. In addition to top-rated CBS, the networks affected include MTV, VH1, Comedy Central and Nickelodeon.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I guess my decision to switch to DirectTv has been made for me.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
The only channel I really watch that is Viacom owned is Comedy Central.

I noticed the crawls on CC this weekend. Everytime the crawl would start a big black bar would then cover the crawl.

Curses, this would have to happen with a new season of South Park starting next week.

Paul

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Heck, I saw crawls for this during Cold Case last night. Now that I think of it, both the CBS and UPN stations here in Boston are owned by Viacom, but I had to wonder why this couldn't just be put on the feed to Dish/Echostar, as opposed to the OTA/cable broadcast.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
This is good reason why I've decided to go with DirecTV for my DBS provider. :)

Anyway, if Dish Network does drop all the Viacom-owned channels you could see a considerable switch to DirecTV pretty quickly.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

I'd be the first in line.

Dish Network knows they would loose a boatload of customers to their rival DirectTv and I'm hopeful there will be a resolution.

I just wonder, considering I'm still in the midst of my first year with them, that they will let me (or all of their customers) break out of my one year commitment, if they loose Viacom.

Jay W.

Stunt Coordinator
I got dish network in Nov. and had to sign a one year contract. If they drop the viacom channels and still expect me to pay the same price for my channels I will take legal action against them.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
That black bar bothers me more than anything. They get a certain amount of commercial time on their channels, they should run anti-Viacom ads then, then shouldn't be censoring Viacom's message though. That is enough to make me consider switching.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
I doubt Dishnetwork will allow you to back out of your agreement. There have been idiotic laws imposed on them in the past and what essentially happens is they lower your bill for what you lost during that time frame.

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
It is now 12:40am and the Viacom stations are still broadcasting. I have had Dish Network for almost 5 years now. I have no reason to jump to Direct TV. Mainly because I can't afford to. Besides, I have lots of other channels to fall back on and I think that what Viacom is doing STINKS!!! Yeah, I will miss some channels, but, NOT having to get charged EXTRA because Viacom wants to act like GREEDY PIGS won't make me jump ship anytime soon! I remember the local ABC affiliate here in New York tried that a short while ago. My life didn't hinge on losing that channel either!!! Viacom-BRING IT ON!!!

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
On the other hand, Viacom and DirecTV signed a big happy deal back in January.

I don't like the black bar censorship thing. It could be a violation of FCC signal alteration rules. I know the rules exist for cable companies regarding broadcast signals but I don't know about cable channels or if they also apply to satellite. It wouldn't be the first time Charlie has ignored a federal regulation.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
Well......it has happend. It is 12 Midnight PST and all the viacom channels are off the air. There is a Dish message which says..

Then it gives the DISH customer service phone number and web site.

....And right when I was getting ready to watch an hour of the cosby show on Nick @ Night.

Maybe this is time for me to give up my stand alone Tivo and DISH receiver and get a DirectTV Tivo combo unit. Hummmm....

EDIT: Ok....now I am really pissed. Just figured out that my local Los Angeles CBS station Channel 2 is also off the air as a result. So...no Letterman or Survivor or CSI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will move to Direct TV if this does not get fixed by this weekend. March Madness basketball is too important!

BrianEK

Stunt Coordinator
I am enraged by this black out as well. I just got this system installed last month for HD. Now i'm stuck in a year contract and I cannot get CBS since my antenna can't pick up their crappy signal here in IL. I cannot imagine this being a forever thing. As stated before it would not be in dish networks best interest to cut these channels permanently. I don't know of many people who would get a service which doesn't provide big channels like CBS, MTV, Comedy Central, or Nickelodeon. I would say anyone out there watches at least 1 of these channels regularly. The question is how long will it take to reach a solution. They better drop prices to compensate even though I still wouldn't truley be happy. I am imagining the Viacom issue is why Direct Tv just raised their price $1. I rather pay $1 more than $1 less and not get these channels.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Sorry guys... That does pretty much such suck...

We used to have Dish Network a few years ago, but switched...

CBS, Nick at Nite, and Comedy Central are all channels I watch somewhat... It would suck to lose them...

Whats weird is that we have also been getting messages in bars going at the bottom saying these channels might be shut off for Dish Network...

We dont even have Dish Network and the messages have been very distracting...

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Wonderful. My university just *had* to switch from DirecTV to Dish last summer. My CBS channels are fine, though. I think those are provided through cable anyways.

BrandonL

Stunt Coordinator
I kept wondering what those bars were that I was seeing during the weekend. We just got Dish about 3 weeks ago and have been having all sorts of problems taping shows while at work. We finally gave up with the vcr and decided to get the DVR receiver. guess what, those same shows don't record. Ugh!!

And now I checked CBS, MTV, etc. and they are all out. I wonder what exactly Dish is going to do if this doesn't get resolved in the next day or two? Because new subscribers have no contracts to sign and can cancel whenever they want. I don't care too much about the music channels. But not having the local CBS is pretty bad.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Oh man, this really sucks. I just had my wife check and yes, CBS and the other previously mentioned channels are off the air! And what happens if they do come to an agreement? Our bill will more than likely go up! again!

To top it all, I've been having so many problems with my dishplayers. I don't know. I'm going to look into DirectTV. I'm getting fed up with this.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I have ordered my Directv equipment and as soon as they come to hook it up. I will be cancelling Dish. I have to wonder how many new subscribers Directv will be getting because of this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks