What's new

Dish Network or Direct TV for HD programming? (1 Viewer)

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
I live to far away to get ota hd programming so I am looking for Satellite alternatives.

I'm leaning towards Dish Network, but I'm not having much luck finding out what type of programing is available and how much.

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
On Dish you get Showtime HD, HBO HD, and CBS HD if you qualify. On DTV, you get HBO HD and HDNet. Both services (I think) have HD PPV.

Peter

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
Thanks Peter. HBO doesn't interest me all that much since alot of their stuff is cropped to 1.78. Dish is looking better all the time. I didn't know you couldn't get showtime hd on directv.

Approximately how many ppv hd movies does dish show per month?

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't tell you how many PPV HD movies they show a month. I tried going to http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/p.../ppv/hdtv.html but the link is dead now...
Before you decide on Dish, you should verify that you are elligable to receive CBS HD (if you want it), and if there is any worthwhile programming on Showtime HD that you would want to watch.
HDNet (on DirecTV) has a lot of HD. Most of it being sports, such as hockey, the winter Olympics, etc. If your into sports IMO you should go with DirecTV.
Peter

David Schamis

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty unimpressed with both of these options.

Cable companies have:

CBS

ABC

NBC

HBO

Showtime

You'd think that both DirecTV and Dish would be at least as good!

Anyone know about any plans to improve this lineup anytime soon?

I am about to move, and will need to decide whether to stick with Cable or to go to a sat system.

David

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
I agree. I checked into this about a year ago and things don't seem to have improved any since. Other than the HD Net on Directv.

I may just hold out for a while longer until more programming becomes available.

It just sucks that I've had this tv for over a year and I've never seen hd on it.

Thanks for the replies.

Tom

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
I'm not the most enlightened on this subject, but apparently Microsoft's XBox can output 1080i. If you are hard up for "HD" signals, consider renting (or borrowing) an XBox and one of the "HD-ready" games.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Dave, while I fully support anyone going out and buying themselves an Xbox (I absolutely LOVE mine!!!), I should point out that there haven't been any "HD" games released for it yet. Although it looks like a few 1080i games may be on the slate for later this year.
I've got the Dish myself primarily for the HD content, and so far the only real winner has been CBS-HD. CSI in HD is a pretty awesome sight, and the Monday night comedies are great as well. They also showed a hi-def college basketball game two weeks ago which looked amazing. Other than that, HBO-HD shows movies that look and sound pretty much like their DVD equivalents, but it's rare that they will be showing a movie that I want to watch.
For me it was worth getting the Dish because of the HD-CBS feed, and the HD-HBO feed is kind of a bonus when there is a good movie on (Cast Away looked incredible, and Band of Brothers was simply breath-taking).
Sure wish I had HDNet, though...:frowning:

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
I wish there were more hd movies available. I don't really care about network tv. Although the occasional sporting event would be cool.

Just doesn't seem to be enough out there to warrant the cost of the dish and receiver.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Tom:
The Showtime & HBO combo from Dish is like $21.99. Also, ABC has been firing both barrels lately with Indiana Jones (Radiers & Temple of Doom), Lots of Bond flicks, Bugs Life, Toy Story on & on (MNF next fall).
The problem is not enough movies... the problem is not being able to record. I would've loved to watch Wall Street on HBO last night, but it was on at 3:15am. Unfortunately, I do have a day job.
http://www.hdtvgalaxy.com/broad.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks