What's new

Disc rot rears its head on Blu-Ray format (The Prestige) (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The boiling comment is a snark reference to the problems that some folks have experienced with Children of Men due to incorrect bonding on the HD-DVD release as posted over at AVS, and has absolutely nothing to do with rot, or the occurrence of problems on some copies of The Prestige on Bd.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unlike the HTF Administrators, you do have the option of placing certain members on your "Ignore" list. Personally, I usually discount the comments expressed by those having such signatures because it's so easy to do so in such cases. It's just not worth being bother by such expressions!

Crawdaddy

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Ah, so you read it alright! ;)

Yes, I always assume the best of intentions first.

Cees

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I am not sure I know of any one who would attempt to boil a disk when a simple wipe with a soft cloth cleans the disk up just fine. Maybe a bit of an exaggeration Peter?

Norman Matthews

Second Unit
Brett, perhaps you missed the key word "snarking"? There's not just a bit of difference between Pete's first post in this thread and yours in the thread you're referencing.

But, that's all I'll say on that matter. If it continues any further, this is bound to be an unproductive conversation in every sense, and I've committed myself to trying my best to no longer participate in such discussions here. I only responded to you to begin with in this thread in the spirit of jest and rib-poking in which I'm sure your first comment to me was meant.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Speak for yourself... Personally, I find a little Santerian black magic goes a long way, and I sacrifice a live chicken before my component rack to the gods of BD Java Menus and HD DVD Combos. ;)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
You must not know what he's referring to. This is an old-time solution dating back to CDs. It's not for cleaning, the disc but solving problems caused by glue residues in the discs I believe. Lately, some have had success getting new, unplayable HD DVDs to play by boiling them.

I wonder if that would have helped my college pal out. He had a number of DVDs that became unplayable at the second layer on his PS2. Then again, I believe the PS2 was far more sensitive than most DVD players.

Back to topic, I forgot to check my Prestige copy out yesterday after reading about the disc rot problems on AVS. Lots of photos in that thread if anyone wants to venture over there. A good idea if you don't know what disc rot is/looks like.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
The news of a problem with a title wasnt my issue. Its the little side note that HD DVD would be above this because DVD doesnt have any issues with replication. As we all know all of our formats have had some issue of one kind or another. But i agree, id want to know if more than one person was having a problem with a DVD, Blu-Ray, or HD disc.
I am glad Cees is assuming the best, cause i know ive needed it once or twice. :)

Pete T C

Second Unit
Reports are now coming in from various members on AVS that The Departed on BD and Stranger Than Fiction are popping up with the same disc rot issue.

Some people assume that the handful of Universal titles with this issue are at fault, however it is very possible that the Toshiba HD DVDROM drive was slightly out of spec prior to firmware v1.6 as the gen1 HD DVD players had no problems reading said "problematic" HD DVD Combo COM+TGS Universal discs with their NEC HD DVDROM drives. Universal has a replacement program set up with newly pressed discs, but that may just be goodwill for the HD DVD format given their large role in it. As a parallel, note that prior to firmware v1.5 the Toshiba gen2 players were slightly out of spec in being unable to read HD DVDs authored in "Basic" mode instead of "Enhanced" mode (Two of the Discovery Atlas discs as well as National Geographic Relentless Enemies) - while there were only a few titles authored in this mode, they had major difficulty playing until the gen2 players were brought up to speed in firmware - again, the gen1 players had no issues with these titles, either. Thankfully with the ethernet port for downloads & the free firmware upgrade discs sent out by Toshiba, firmware upgrades have been painless thus far.

Of course, as you note this is unrelated to the incidence of disc rot on BD, and further the affected HD DVD discs now play fine with the latest firmware. The most obvious difference being that no firmware upgrade is going to erase the visible BD rot shown in that AVS thread.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

The bonding layer problems apparently were not all fixed by the firmware updates otherwise Universal wouldn't be repressing discs of COM and Good Shepard along with offering a replacement program.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=257089

Which reminds me to get around to watching my copy to see if I need it replaced.

Back to the BD topic:
Given the reported problem discs were all manufactured around the same time in Jan/Feb it very well may be an error that happened in replication. Seems awfully quick for "rot" to develop and the fact that there are much older BD's around that have no reported problems.

BTW - are all your BD's free from spots? You sure seem pretty concerned about all this.

Once the problem is identified, if it turns out to be isolated issues such as a bad batch/production run, given your obvious concerns I'm sure you'll be the first back here to post the good news right?

I'm sure you're not here all the way from ahem...AVS just to gleefully post bad news about BD.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
My Prestige looks fine. (Something sounded dirty about that.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks