What's new

Disc problems with TV shows on DVD sets using Scanavo cases (1 Viewer)

troy evans

Screenwriter
Okay, my scanavo cased dvds don't seem to have an oily feel to them. I've never encountered this kind of feel in any dvd I've owned. We're talking over 2500 dvds in my collection. Why not get everyone who is reporting this as a problem to share the serial # from the dvd sets they own. If that doesn't produce any results, then, try to find the commonality or simularities in the way they store or handle the dvds. If none of this can be achieved, and so far it has not, then it's pointless to continue these claims or discussions. Also, if there is an oily substance responsible here you would have to completely get rid of it. Meaning, the inserts, box that the cases sit in and covers on cases. Oil doesn't just go away unless you get rid of it all. Even with trace amounts you could be in the same boat a few years down the road. That's why unless we have some kind of absolute proof of what's going on we need to take a breath and relax a bit. What if the problem isn't even the cases and it turns out to be the discs? Some are reporting problems with dvds in non-scanavo cases like Nexpak. Which was reported by the TheGreatOz above. Seeing as how it's not scanavo exclusive, now what? Are you starting to see my point?

progrocktv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil

I'm wondering if it may be a reaction to the clear plastic across the board (not brand specific) Here's another question, is anyone having these problems with the BLACK double slim cases? If so is it the smooth black or the rough black?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

Your point? I've just been getting this sense from you that we should just sit back and let out discs remain in the cases because there's no need to panic. If it happens, it's just our darn luck cause none of your DVDs in double slim cases. We're just chicken littles.

We have been pointing out that it doesn't seem to be a problem exclusive to the Scanavo cases. The Hazel set in the clear double slim cases weren't marked Scanavo. That's been discussed.

I've yet to encounter this issue with any of the black slim cases in my collection. Futurama S1 in the clear case had the residue. But there's no residue on The King of the Hill S1 that I bought at the same time. They're in black cases.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Joe, I know you and several people here do in fact have a problem with your dvds. Beyond a shadow of a doubt that much is perfectly clear. What I can't seem to get a straight answer on is the cause of the problem. Is it the cases or the handling or the discs themselves. No one, I repeat, no one has a clear answer as to the cause of this problem. It's all speculation at this point. Has anyone contacted the distributors or scanavo to complain? Why do I have cloudiness on my old Warner cardboard/plastic snap cases dvds? Why do I have it on a Paramount snap case dvd? Why is it some people claim to have it on the exact same dvd sets and some don't? I don't notice cloudiness on any of my gold dvds. Only seems to show up on the silver ones, when it does show up, and I easily wiped it away. I can't speak to you or others who have had a problem with the oily feel of the cases. However, one would think that six pages deep and weeks into this someone would have made an official complaint to the companies. Collectively, with all the complaints out there the companies would have to take action. Yet, here we are still complaining about a problem and doing little to solve it. Look at the Pirates of the Carribean thread about the framing issue. They all complained to Disney and either have or have on the way replacement dvds. Take action if you truely are bothered by this issue is all I'm saying. When someone comes to this thread that may have this problem give them a solution as a course of action. Don't let them read page after page of " Oh My dvds are rotting" BS that's going to do nothing but scare the hell out of them. Especially since, as I said before, no one knows what's really going on yet.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I've written Scanavo a few times since this problem was brought to my attention. I haven't heard anything back. While Sony will swap the Hazel DVDs, they won't say what the possible problem is. And what are the odds that my sealed Hazel DVDs they send me will suffer the same problem? It's not like they made a new batch of them last week.

What are the odds that anyone involved in this will go on the record? the CES is going on out in Vegas and I've yet to hear any reps discuss the residue situation. They're too busy with Blu-Ray beating HD-DVD.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Man, I feel ya. Believe it or not, I'm trying to have everyones best interest at heart here. Even yours. My concern is if it turns out that the cases are not the issue, even though people think it's the likely reason the're having the issue, replacing cases will be an unnessissary expense. I know with the hobby we all are in here you would get the impression money is no issue and to some it may not be. I however do not have it to waste. Over the past few posts you and I have had, you've taken the impression that I think you're a "Chicken Little". I don't think that, man. I think you are really pissed off about the situation. I think you feel that you've spent hard earned money in investing in something you thought would last a lifetime. So far, as bad as it all is, the discs still play fine. There's a ton of stuff in life to stress over. I don't want my dvd collection to be one of them. What you take enjoyment in should never stress you out, anyway. Man, I've had scratched to hell discs, broken discs, discs that seem flawless physically and still have glitches in playback. Some times I buy a tvondvd set and don't watch it right away and then when I finally do, guess what? Scratched, broke, glitch. Those kind of things piss me off way more than residue that wipes away and dvds still play fine issues. However, I remind myself that a persons concerns, wether you agree or not, are still a concern to them.

DanMel

Second Unit
I just noticed a cloudiness circling around half of the disc on on one of the dvd's that I recently purchased in the Bette Davis set Vol 1 that uses one of the normal size single keep cases. However, this is not the problem that I had with Hogan's Heroes season 2. I posted photos of a couple of those discs earlier. I believe they were cloudy when I got the box set of HH several years ago but nothing what they looked like now. I would like to clarify in my case though that it was not and I repeat NOT a cloudiness issue that I reported a few weeks ago. It was several stages later in the deteriation of the discs where it looked like glue was dripped all over the surface of the discs. These discs may have had the cloudy effect several years ago but did not look anything like this.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Scanavo gave me a call this evening and asked me to send them the oily cases so they can test them out. If anyone else is having issues, they should contact the company through their website.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Keep us apprised of what if anything Scanavo comes back with on these cases, and whether there is a bonafide problem with potential disc rot. I noticed blotches on some ``Hogan's Heroes'' discs and possibly on some ``Brady Bunch'' discs, but haven't gone so far to try to clean them or play them in my PS3.

Bonedwarf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
Sorry to dig this thread up. I was doing research on "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" as I'm considering picking it up in an Amazon order later today, and I wanted to see if there were disk problems.

After reading this, I just hunted through my disk collection for anything in a Scanavo case. I found two. Both seasons of "Dead Like Me". I checked all the disks, and in all honesty, the disks are pretty much the best condition of any disks I've got.

One thing that occurred to me reading this: How many people having issues with these disks have left their sets sealed in the original plastic? Just wonder if being in a sealed environment has any bearing on any of this.

Anyway, thanks for the info on this issue. I know I'm probably lucky (sets here people have said have the cases that I have, mine are entirely different cases) and will be careful.

And if anyone has any warnings about the "Kolchak" set, please post it:)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
The only problem with Kolchak would be that its on DVD 18s. The double sided, dual layer discs that Universal was so in love with. Having said that...i watched a disc last week, and it was fine. I never had trouble with the show when i got it. I am one who hates those discs, but this set was fine.

Bonedwarf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
Thanks a lot. Had to curtail my Kolchak'ing activities. Order on Amazon came to too much.

DVD-18's, I've had a few problems in the past sadly, so that might be a big black mark against it:frowning:

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Scanavo hasn't written me back about what they discovered on the cases i returned to them a few months back.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
Sorry to dig this thread up, but I have three bits of information.

First, Kolchak: The Night Stalker is in slightly "filmy" slim cases with no brand name and a slight haze to the discs on the top sides (not the bottoms).

Second, Perry Mason S1 Vol 1 and Vol 2 are in slim/dual cases that also have a thin film on the inside. However, there's nothing on the discs (yet).

Third, the good news, Micro Center carries a 10-pack of dual-DVD slim/clear cases by TekNmotion (tm) which have no oil or film at all (so far). The package number is TM-DVD10S2CC. They run $7.99 for the 10-pack. I've purchased five packages at different times and each has been crystal clear and squeaky clean. :)

I thought I was through with "rot" problems when laserdiscs went the way of the Edsel and the 45 rpm record. I guess not! :frowning:

Shawn_Sm

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting that this was bumped. Yesterday I had to travel with a DVD but didn't want to bring a whole digipack with me. I had a extra keepcase (where it came from, I couldn't tell you) and put the disc in there. Later when I looked at the underside of the disc clouding had appeared on it. (I had also looked at it before I put it in the case.) Sure enough, it was a Scanavo case. There is definitely something wrong with these cases.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
I thought periodically checking 600 laserdiscs for rot every 6 months was a PITA. Imagine the daunting task of checking DVDs every month in Scanavo cases!

Or, in Shawn's case...EVERY DAY ! Ugh! :eek:

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
The tree-huggers will use these off-gassing Scanavo DVD cases to push for legislation banning all PLASTIC water bottles. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks