What's new

Disc problems with TV shows on DVD sets using Scanavo cases (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^The big one is Have Gun Will Travel: Season Three. Other possible problems are various seasons of The Brady Bunch, Hogan's Heroes and The Andy Griffith Show but it seems like people are seeing problems with everything now.

The best solution is probably to look at all your slimcases and see if they have an oily film on the inside of them. If it has that, get a replacement case or sleeve and keep it in there. If there's no oily film, there's no reason to think that the disc will have any problems related to the case.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
The slim cases are absolutely the culprit here, ive had my bradys season 4 for around 2 years .Now that you guys started talking about this, I checked the dvds, and indeed they have those weird splotch marks.They at least still work.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Also, it might be best for Paramount and us, if they would go back to using the nexpak brand of thin packs.Those seemed to be very good .

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
Check your Land Of The Giants Box sets! I just notice one of my discs turning. I was able to clean without an alcohol. Must need a longer term storage to really coat it up!

many of you are making light of this, but I have thousands invested in my collection. If only ONE disc went bad it would be too many let alone the amount I'm dealing with here.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter

Just checked my Land of the Giants set. Yes, they do use the Scanavo double DVD disc slim-cases. Luckily, the discs look alright, but I'm not going to wait around for something to happen. So, I'm taking precautions.

Normally, I would just flip the disc around upside down so that the label side touches the plastic and the shiny side of the disc is up. But, the Land of the Giants discs are double-sided discs. There is no label.

At the moment, I do not have any other brand double slim cases available, so I did something else.

I have a bunch of CD/DVD Labels from Meritline. These are specially designed labels with adhesive on one side and a matte finish on the other side so you can print your own labels for DVDs. I have a bunch leftover. They are circular and have the smaller center circle cut out.

What I did is: Take the disc out of the tray. Stick a blank label on the dvd case tray where the disc rests. That way when you put the discs back in the tray, it will rest on top the label and won't come in contact with the plastic case.

I'm not saying this is the best solution, because some people think the paper will scratch the discs. This is just a cheap, alternative temporary solution until I can buy some double-dvd slim cases.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Toss those damn cases. I Dont know who makes the double cases with the interlocking spikes. I think NexPak, and those seem to be good cases. They make the best single ThinPak cases. I usually put EVERYTHING in an Amary case. But that doesnt help me with TV shows in thin cases. I would need new art, and thats hard to find for most old shows.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not trying to make light of anything and I completely understand how much money you have invested in your collection. What I have trouble with is seeing how I have at least 200 discs and none have a problem but somehow people are finding problems with tons of their discs. I think people are seeing things that aren't problems and are just panicking.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

I agree.

And let's not forget, DVDs probably won't last forever in the first place. I've had several DVDs fail, both commercial and DVD-R, yet the case had nothing to do with it.

There will probably be yet another format before too long, and everyone will upgrade all over again.

Just in the past 20+ years we've gone from LP to audio cassette to CD, from VHS to laser to DVD to HD DVD Blu Ray.

If you are collecting DVDs as something to keep you busy in your retirement years, you may want to switch to something a bit more permanent (maybe books?). The DVDs, no matter what packaging, may not last that long.

So, if you see a cloudy DVD, settle down a bit. It doesn't mean it will fail tomorrow.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I think I can shed a little more light on this problem. I noticed the same problem on disc 4 of Hart to Hart: Season 2. It is definitely the plastic cases and NOT the disc. The blotching/cloudiness/whatever you want to call it is not only around the disc area but also on the plastic center and there are 4 tiny circle marks that are from the plastic case itself. The center of the case where the dvd rests has 4 tiny circles engraved in it. The condensation or whatever it is caused the marks to imprint into the center circle of the dvd (where you would put your fingers to hold the disc). That settles the actual blotchiness cause.

However, I did play it last night and the performance is pristine. No problems with the disc-play or screen appearance. Hope this helps clear up some questions for people.

troy evans

Screenwriter
The important thing alot of people who have this problem keep saying is thier discs play fine for now. Let me repeat the important part of that sentence, the discs play fine. People, the future holds no guarantees. If your dvds last a lifetime great. What if you don't ? This whole thing has scared and angered some into a pissed off fit. I own several tv shows on dvd in these scanavo cases and I'm not seeing the problem. Now, if you want to talk about cloudy spots and marks on dvds, then, yes I have those in my collection as well. It wipes off and I've seen it more on the top of my dvds rather than the side the laser reads. Many of you have had this in your collections for years and have not even blinked, I'm sure. The point is, sometimes when you go looking for problems and troubles, you will find them. Regardless of wether they are serious or not. Take a step back and consider this.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

The important thing is if you care about your DVDs and you notice the residue building up on your discs to get them out of those cases.

it's great that you haven't the problem that some of us have encountered, but don't belittle us as a pack of Chicken Littles. There is an issue and people need to notice if their DVDs have been affected by this residue. I normally read these stuff and scoff it away. But then I find this residue on several of my sets - including a few that I'd only taken the wrapping off the cases and never played the discs.

from the tone of your statement, you really should get hired by Scanavo as their spokesperson if they ever admit there's a residue issue.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Well, on the first point you made, that's if it is in fact the cases that are the cause. Many people seem to think it is, but, I see no facts to back that up, yet. Next, you should consider replacing all your cases with ones you feel are suitable for your dvd storage needs if it bothers you to this degree. You have the right to. All I'm saying is after that's done and time goes by and the residue shows up again what will you blame then? I have dvds in non scanavo cases that have had signs of residue on them which I've wiped away. Sd dvds are not the final home entertainment medium anyway. HD DVD and Bluray are bound to replace it in a few years and Blurays boast about a protective coating on discs. Not to mention the future looks to be going to direct downloads at some point. People who have the problem have stated the discs play fine and that should not be lost in all this. I'll wait until all the facts come in before I do anything as rash as replace all my dvd cases simply because some are sure the cases are defective.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

Describe the non-Scanavo cases that you found residue DVDs inside? what titles are we talking?

troy evans

Screenwriter
Lethal Weapon 1, Congo, Deep Rising just off the top of my head. Discs play fine and all residue wiped away pretty easy.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

You're talking about three DVDs that you bought seven to nine years ago?

I asked about the cases. Did they have they oily feel to them?

troy evans

Screenwriter
First, go back and read your original question. After doing so you will see I did in fact answer it. You did not ask in the original question if my cases had an "oily feel to them". Also, why do you assume I bought them 7 to 9 years ago since they are all still currently on the market. Look, I know your mad as hell about this. I can see this incident has put many into a frenzy. I'm asking for everyone to calm down and take a step back. We can argue all day long about the situation or those affected can take action. That's if you are 100% sure you no for a fact that it's a manufacturing defect. If you believe it is then send it back and get a replacement. It's that simple. Calling or writing the companies who distribute the dvd sets would be another excellent idea.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

because the three titles you mentioned were pressed back in 1999/2000 - if they do DVDs like VHS, it's pretty much one big pressing. I've yet to encounter this residue on any of my older titles that were in black single cases - nor in the black double sided slim cases. Was there anything about these cases that made them feel differently from cases you bought around the same time?

The question is if this can be considered a manufacturing defect or an unforeseen chemical reaction? Defect is the coffee cloud Anchor Bay DVDs.

Sony has offered to swap out the Hazel DVDs. But they seem to offer some people their FedEx number and other people have to pay their own postage.

Outside of this thread, this situation of these cases and the residue appears to not be discussed. I mentioned it to a pal the other day, he pulled out his Futurama DVDs and he had the residue building up on the playing sides.

While it's nice that you don't want people to panic in the streets, people must be warned to check their DVDs and remove them from the oily clear slim cases. Nobody bought a DVD thinking they were getting an EZD (or whatever they called the self-destruct discs)

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
My three seasons of HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL are in dual-slim cases, but in all three, the name is "Nexpak" ... they're a little filmy and a few of the discs have small blotches. The blotches don't readily 'wipe away' as some claim. I've not tried scrubbing. :crazy:

Who is Nexpak? And is there a 'slim-dual' substitute case? I haven't seen them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks