What's new

Disaster Movies (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Anthony
Wasn't there a boxset of disaster movies rumoured for release ? It was going to include the C4 documentary from a year or two ago - TOWERING INFERNO was meant to be one of them.

tomRicci

Auditioning
Almost all these titles are availble on VHS or DVD. I would start with the Classics and move forward, off the top of my head both from the year 1913 Atlantis, and Last Days of Pompeii from the 3o's Deluge, The Hurricane, The Rains Came, San Francisco, In Old Chicago, Last Days of Pompeii, The Sisters, Five Came Back, then the 40's and 50's Tornado, Life Boat, Titanic (German version), Flame Of The Barbary Coast, Tulsa, Green Dolphin Street, Titanic, When Worlds Collide, War Of The Worlds, Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers, The Rains of Ranchipur, Back From Back From Eternity, The Mountain, The Day The Sky Exploded, A Night To Remember, The Last Days Of Pompeii, moving on to the 60's The Crowded Sky, Devil At 4 O'clock, Circus World, Flight Of The Phoenix, The Hellfighters, Krakatoa, East Of Java, And of Course the BIG 70's Airport, The Poseidon Adventure, Submersion Of Japan (only available on Japanese dvd no subs but worth it for the effects), Airport 1975, Earthquake, The Hindenburg, Miracles Still Happen, The Towering Inferno, Survive!, Airport'77, The Cassandra Crossing, Avalanche, Gray Lady Down, City On Fire, Concorde-Airport '79, Hurricane, Meteor, S.O.S. Titanic, Air Crew, and the 80's and 90's Jishin Retto (only available on Japanese dvd no subs but worth it for the effects), Backdraft, Alive, Fearless, Daylight, Twister, Independence Day, White Squall, Titanic, Volcano, Dante's Peak, Deep Impact, Armageddon, Firestorm, Hard Rain and the rest... Cast Away, Deep Core, Final Destination, Libera Me, Siren, Vertical Limit, Mothman Prophecies, The Core, DragonHead, Final Destination 2, The Day After Tomorrow, Flight of the Phoenix, Ladder 49. OK Some are dramas with a real good disaster scene, others fall into the Sci-Fi genre, but that my feature film list. Later I list the TV movies. Tomricci

tomRicci

Auditioning
Of course I remembered these two after I sent the last post, Perfect Storm (2000) and "The High and The Mighty" (coming soon to dvd for the first time on any video format.) And to answer the other Question about a TV movie using actual footage of the October 17 1989, an earthquake measuring 7.2 on the Richter scale that rocked San Francisco. "After The Shock" (1990), "Miracle on Interstate 880" also covered the colapse the the freeway from that quake

tomRicci

Auditioning
I throw that in that as the "70's terrorists movies want to be marketed as a disaster movie" along with Juggernaut, Black Sunday and Rollercoaster.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Thanks tomRicci... this is right up my alley too. I am a big fan of disaster movies but you can also subcatorgorize them into Nuclear Disaster as well, which I have a few too.

You mentioned going to list TV movies but haven't seen it yet. Some that comes to mind I have are "Aftershock: Earthquake in New York" (1999), "10.5" (2004), "Asteroid" (1997) and "The Titanic" (1996 George C. Scott-Catherine Zeta Jones version), all pretty good Hallmark mini-series movies.

One asteroid movie I don't see you mentioning I also have is "Tycus" (2000).

Eric

tomRicci

Auditioning
I have to go through my collection, so tonight I'll list the TV movies, made for cable and direct to video, thaat's why Tycus was listed yet, Also just to mention almost all the movies I listed except Rains of Ranchipur are availble at one time on eith tape, Laser, or dvd, from her in America or in Europe or Japan. And I must say, my favorite is THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE!

tomRicci

Auditioning
10.5, Ablaze, Aftershock: Earthquake in New York , Aftershocks, After the Shock, Asteroid, Atomic Train, Atomic Twister, Avalanche, Avalanche Alley, Cave In!, Condominium, Cyclone, The Day After, Day of the Roses, Day the Earth Moved, Daybreak, Death of Ocean View Park, Deep Core, Deep Water, Derailed, Devil Winds, Disaster on the Coastliner, Doomsday Rock, Earthquake in New York, Epicenter, Escape Under Pressure, Fallout, Fire!, Fire! Trapped on the 37th Floor, Firestorm: 72 Hours in Oakland, Firetrap, Fire in the Sky, Flood!, Flood: A Rivers Rampage, Frozen Impact, Great Los Angeles Earthquake, Hanging by a Thread, Heavens Fire, Heroes Mountain, Hurricane (1974), Judgment Day, Killer Flood: The Day the Dam Broke, The Last Days of Pompeii(1984), The Last Survivors (remake of Abandon Ship!), Lightning: Fire from the Sky, ok getting tired here I'll list more tomorrow, oh and I see I forgot to mention on the movie front Abandon Ship!, and The Last Voyage (1960)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I'd like to have BEYOND THE POSIDEON ADVENTURE on DVD, hopefully with the additional footage that was in the extended version that used to run on ABC.

Isn't this the only sequel to a disaster film?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
WHEN TIME RAN OUT... with Paul Newman is another one I don't think has been mentioned. This is probably the worst I've seen from the genre not including TV movies.

Along with THE SWARM, other "disaster" films to that nature include THE BEES (w/John Saxon, John Carradine) and THE SAVAGE BEES.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Quote: Originally Posted by ahollis

Ah Rollercoaster, one of my favorite bombs. Saw it in Sensurround when it first came out. In fact I saw all the the Sensurround films, including Battlestar Galactic. I have the DVD of Rollercoaster and pissed it is not anamorphic.

NOTE: Quoted post is post #532 from the Sony Archive MOD discussion thread in the DVD folder.

First saw Rollercoaster on TV many years ago. My memory could be playing tricks on me, but I thought what happened to Timothy Bottoms' character towards the end of the film was more graphic than it was (more blood). When I watched a TV screening from a few years ago it wasn't as bloody as I thought it was. Out of the 70's disaster films I've seen in full, Rollercoaster is one of my favourites.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Disaster film sequels? How about AIRPLANE II: THE SEQUEL? :) (And the AIRPORT films do share the George Kennedy character.)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Airplane II: The Sequel (1982) wasn't as good as the original, but it certainly had it's moments (Chuck Connors and the fuel drums behind him, Rip Torn's bright red hairstyle, the Mission: Impossible theme tune, Peter Graves and Lloyd Bridges returning, "take me to the bridge!" and *whoosh, whoosh*).

Even after repeated viewings I still find Airplane! (1980) hilarious. Aside from Caddyshack II (1988), I hadn't seen Robert Stack appear in a comedy. He played the part very well. Everything seemed to gel in that film.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Seen Airplane 2 at Target for $5 the other day . I almost picked it up . Maybe on my next trip .

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
It may be not very good at all, but have been meaning to see Avalanche (1980) starring Rock Hudson. It is available on Region 1, but is apparently presented in a fullscreen. It is available on Region 2 (released by Boulevard Entertainment in 2008), but Amazon UK's listing page for the item doesn't state an aspect ratio.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Bob Cashill said:
Stack steals a few scenes with his underplaying in 1941.
Bob, by including "1941" in this thread, are you reflecting on films that were ABOUT disasters or that WERE disasters...? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks