What's new

Disappearing Threads (1 Viewer)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Just curious. Earlier today Mike_S (I think) posted two separate threads in Software with a link to the review of the "Citizen Kane" review at thebigpicture.com. His links were incorrect and I posted a corrected link under his on one of the posts.
Later in the day that thread disappeared completely. So I went in and posted a corrected link in the other thread Mike started. Now I see that that thread has also vanished completely.
What's going on? I've seen threads locked before (although I can't see why this one would be) but these are just gone.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Threads containing links to other sites sometimes lead to automatic removal.
We do not go to other forums and advertise our reviews. Likewise, that's not what is supposed to happen the other way around.
Cees

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hi, Glenn!
I removed the thread, with no disrespect
intended to The Big Picture.
The problem is, people post reviews to
this forum with just links that point to
ANOTHER site.
We don't go to other sites and post simple
links back to our forum.
We don't want this forum used as an outlet
for people to advertise either their own or
other sites. If a review is to be posted, an
actual review (not a link) should be posted.
Thanks
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Thanks for the explanation. I know I've posted links in threads when somebody asks "are there any reviews out there yet for XYZ?" I'll stop doing that.
Would it still be okay to just mention something like "The Big Picture has a review of XYZ up," without an actual direct link?
I think I'm like a lot of folks here at HTF who try to read a lot of these sites (DVDFile, thedigitalbits, DVDreview, etc.) every day and then come here to talk about the news/reviews. But sometimes I don't get to all of them, and I know I appreciate it when somebody points out that a new review is up, especially when it's the first one for a particular title.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Thanks for the explanation. I know I've posted links in threads when somebody asks "are there any reviews out there yet for XYZ?" I'll stop doing that.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that answering such a question with a link would run afoul of the guidelines. As I understand it, the prohibition is on starting a thread solely for the purpose of listing the link.
I've seen plenty of threads with links to other reviews that were allowed to stand. Usually the thread was started to discuss a particular point, and the link is added as a convenience. An obvious example is when two sites give radically different reviews of a disc, and someone starts a thread noting the difference and asking for input from other HTF members.
M.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
If someone started a thread on the subject at hand and then referred someone to another site that would be ok. We just don't want people posting a thread about a subject and all they have is a link to another site. As Ron stated we don't go on other boards and redirect traffic back to our site for the sole purpose of directing people back to our site with just a link.
We would prefer that people use this site to post a review instead and then refer someone back to another site for additional information, etc.
Parker

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I can't seem to find a thread that was started in the 'After Hours' area entitled 'Where can I find the 18' Freddy from Todd Mcfarlane'. Was the thread deleted?
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks