What's new

DirecTV (1 Viewer)

DavidAM

Second Unit
Just a few quick questions on Directv. Is there any special features I should look for when buying a box? Do they have boxes that support DD5.1? If so, will everything be broadcast in 5.1 or just a few special movies (like say HDTV). Is there anything I should look for when buying a system....any special brand or features that stand out over others? Finally, where is the best deal on a complete system? It seems like I've always seen them really cheap, but now that I'm looking, its like a minimum of $150 for the dish and reciever. Are there any better deals than this? Point me in the right direction if you don't mind. Thanks guys.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If so, will everything be broadcast in 5.1 or just a few special movies (like say HDTV).
There are some channels in the HBO, Showtime and Starz packages that pass 5.1 when available. The will also pass DD 2.0 and DD mono when that is the program's original soundtrack.
Circuit City is taking pre-orders on DirecTivo Series 2. $189 and if you are a new customer you get a dish and a $50 rebate. I'm not sure about the install but you can do it if you can work a screwdriver. Details are in a thread over at Tivo Community in the DirecTV section.
-Robert

Jeff Richardson

Auditioning
Is it possible to get a DirecTV box that will allow you to have both HDTV and Tivo, or do you have to choose one or the other?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is it possible to get a DirecTV box that will allow you to have both HDTV and Tivo
This question is becoming more and more frequent. This box doesn't exist today. There is a current thread over at the Tivo Community questioning Tivo's reluctance to jump into the HD ring. Post some comments over there since there are Tivo employees that monitor that board. Maybe if enough people request it, they will see that there is a market for a DirecTivo HD model.

-Robert

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
DirecTivo with HDTV capability would be wonderful, but it isn't available. Anyway, DirecTivo is definitely something you should look at in buying a system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks