1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

DirecTV / Tivo / HDTV beginner question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jack_Geo, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Jack_Geo

Jack_Geo Stunt Coordinator

Hi...I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but since it's a beginner question, I'm sure you'll be able to assist.

I've got a regular D* receiver hooked up to a Mitsubishi HD-compatible 55" TV.

I saw the deal to get a Hughes D* / Tivo receiver at CC for $99 in the Deals section.

I also may jump on the $399 deal to get a Samsung or Hughes HDTV Tuner directly from D*.

My question is can I run them both simultaneously on the same TV? I know I can't record in HD on the Tivo, but can I be watching ESPN HD and also be Tivo'ing one or two shows from the standard broadcast?

If this is possible, how would I need to hook everything up? Do I need to do / buy anything special?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Jack

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Yes, you just need to run 3 lines in from the dish (assuming you have or will get the 3 sat dish w/ built-in multiswitch). 2 lines go to the DirecTivo, one to the HD tuner.

Personally I'm holding out ~6 months for HD-DirecTivo. Using Comcast cable HD in the interim.

3. MattClarkson

MattClarkson Auditioning

One thing you can do...(this is what I do)

Get the Samsung SIR-T160...reason is that it simultaneously outputs in both digital and analog signals. For HD, go component, 15 pin, or DVI to TV. Also go S-Video to a standalone Tivo unit. Two downsides: 1. Can't watch two things 2. Tivo charge is 13 dollars instead of 5 but I'm not complaining.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

5. Jack_Geo

Jack_Geo Stunt Coordinator

Hi all...

Thanks for all your assistance...I think I'll give it a whirl!

I ordered the Tivo this morning, and will call D* soon!

Wish me luck!

Jack