What's new

DirecTV reciever question??? (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I recently got DirecTV for the first time. I'm definitely not experienced! I bought one of those specials down at Busted Buy. I got a Hughes DirecTivo which is right nice. I got a LMB dish that's hi-def capable and the weak sister in the deal was this nasty little black RCA reciever, it's a DRD430RGA. isn't that a lovely model #? It's got such a ring to it. I use if for my secondary tube set and I hate it. I could tolerate it but the bleeding guide fuction is pathetic. You press the navigation buttons and sometimes sit and wait a second or two or even 10-15 seconds for the on-screen menu items to actually move.

OK, the question is do most other stand-alone DirecTV recievers have guide menus that function better? Faster! I hope! I'm tempted to buy a better reciever, already! Thanks in advance! :)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Hey Rachael, long time!
Some the GUIs really suck. I set up a few Mits HD for friends and didn't care for them. I really like Sonys menu. I have the HD100 (HD200 is out now) and a Sat A4 in Bedroom. Very fast menus (except if you have a TIVO hooked up) and fairly easy to follow.
Do you have 2 or 3 LNBs?
if there is a space in the middle, you have 2 and cant get Showtime HD. If you have ST you can get the LNB from Directv for around $8 if you install it your self...fairly easy unless you have it way high.
They quoted me around $300 for them to come do it.
Email me if you have any more questions if you want.
BTW I was going to send you those cds but I lost your mailing address when my HD crashed. Let me know again when you can

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Grant, I have 3 LNB's. I left '3' out of a sentence in the original post. Grant I do have a Sony 2000 Tivo running with the RCA box. The RCA box has no serial control port so I have to use IR blasters. Do the Sony's have a port for serial control? Anybody else have an opinion about a good, modestly priced reciever?

P.S.- Grant I'll e-mail you soon.:)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have the same one but the sony xcvr does have a serial port.
I think part of the delay is the Tivo and not the RCA.
I have it hooked into the bedroom system since it cant do HD and I am not fond of it's delay or picture degradation.
I believe my HD 100 has a serial port too

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Grant, I bypass the Tivo when I use the guide feature, to look at the guide, not to change the channel. That's the only thing I do with the clumsy remote that came with the RCA. I'm gonna look around and see if I can find a last year's model Sony, maybe? Every place I've looked so far just offers the $800 hi-def one. I'm thinking that may be the only current model...? Sony seems to have shrunk it's lines in many categories lately. Have you used Hughes? Recuerdos mi amigo!:)

TomCW

Second Unit
Rachel,
I have an older Hughes DTV receiver, not hdtv, and the GUI is very good, it's fast, makes sense and is easy to use.
Don't get a Sony A65 (I think it's non HDTV anyway), as it has a severe overheat problem.
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks