What's new

DirecTV HR20 HD DVR (1 Viewer)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I'm going to have one of these up and running later this month, and I'm wondering if anyone here has used one yet. I'm particularly interested in knowing if there are any problems with it that I need to be aware of.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Most Tivo users who switched to it absolutely HATE it. New DVR users are more accepting. There are some minor bugs that are discussed in detail in the HR20 section of the DBS Talk forum.

-Robert

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I prefer the Tivo interface myself, but the Tivos aren't able to receive the locals in HD and apparently won't be able to receive the new HD programming which DirecTV will be rolling out. There don't seem to be any guarantees that DirecTV will support any upgrades to the Tivo HD receivers, so I'm going to go with the HR20.

How do I get to the DBS Talk forum?

Thanks.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This seems to be my predicament as well.

I own the DirecTV HD Tivo and am faced with the fact that
within a year it will no longer be compatible with the service.

I do know DirecTV will be replacing the equipment at no
charge with their own DVR.

I also know that this new DVR comes nowhere close to the
slick interface and features of Tivo.

In fact, it seems that everyone from cable to fiber has
abandoned Tivo for their own brand of DVR.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Ronald Epstein said:
I also know that this new DVR comes nowhere close to the slick interface and features of Tivo.
QUOTE]

Ron.

I have a Hughes Tivo DirecTV DVR in my living room and a non-Tivo DirecTV DVR in my bedroom.

To me the biggest drawback to the DirecTV DVR is the inability to easily switch back and forth between two football games while still getting 30 minutes of recording on each. The only way I could figure out how to do it with the DirecTV DVR is to actually press record on one of the channels and then toggle back and forth.

There is a mountain between me and the NYC stations, so the only way I'm going to see the locals in HD is through DirecTV.

The good news is that the DirecTV DVR in the bedroom will be replaced by the Tivo DVR which I currently have in the living room.

NightRider

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles Branco
Hello. i'm new new here.:D
I have a question. I bought a DirecTV Hughes HD-250 DVR box for about one year and i noticed that it comes with two USB ports in the back. On instructions manual they don't explain why those USB ports are there.
My question is: is this USB ports are useful? Can i transfer video thru my computer?

Other question: What is the best RF remote control that i can use with this sat box?

Thanks!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My opinion would be the Harmony 890. I'm using the 880 which is the same remote but strictly IR.

-Robert

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I'm not current on news regarding D*.

You have to lease these things now! :confused:
Does D* still have a buy option?

[Hugs her HR10-250 tight]

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
So if I understand you right my HR10-250 will be useless in a year or so. Right now I get local HD via antenna and D* hd via satellite. Am I correct?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ben,

Once DirecTV changes their coding, the HR10-250 will be
useless.

I was told that DirecTV will be replacing equipment at no
charge, but you will of course receive a DVR that while
HD-DVD capable, is not nearly as refined as the Tivo.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You are not entirely correct. Any new HD programming that D* puts up on their satellite will be in MPEG4 and broadcast from new satellites. The HR10 does not have an MPEG4 decoder or the ability to tune into the new satellites. It will still receive any MPEG2 HD for as long as D* sees fit to broadcast. It will still receive all MPEG2 SD programming. And it will still receive OTA. All Tivo functions will still work with the programming that it receives.

-Robert

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Robert,

...but for those of us that receive our locals through DirecTV
then out HR10-250 is basically a paperweight by years end. Correct?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron,
I think you get the NYC stations, if true then you will continue to receive MPEG-2 over the air from them.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The NY and LA markets are always exceptions. They are the only markets that can currently get local HD via satellite in MPEG2. Everything is pointing to ALL HD switching to MPEG4 by the end of the year. If it doesn't meet that deadline, then it will be shortly thereafter. The current "new" satellites are MPEG4 spot beams. The newest satellites to be launched this year will carry national HD channels in MPEG4. That will be channels like Food Network, National Geographic, MTV, etc.

My plan is to keep the Tivo for local OTA HD and any SD programming. I'll get the HR20 for national HD programming. And I'll finally retire my SD DirecTivo.

-Robert

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I just want to be clear on this...

Once DirecTV upgrades to MPEG4 what will I lose through
my HR10-250?

Is it the LOCAL or NATIONAL channels? I always heard the
local, which if that is the case, all I need is an OTA antenna.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron,
From my understanding, you will continue to receive your local NYC HD channels at MPEG 2. Any new HD channels added after these two new sats. go up in orbit will be in MPEG4.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The rumors I hear are the entire HD channel lineup from D* will go MPEG4 and move to the new satellites. The HR10 will still get SD via satellite and HD via antenna. That's what I will keep mine for.

They are spending billion (or hundreds of millions) on launching 4 new satellites to broadcast MPEG4/HD. Why leave a handfull of HD on the legacy system. Switching it to MPEG4 and the new sats will free up bandwidth for dozens of new SD shopping channels.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks