What's new

DirecTV HDTV Ripoff (1 Viewer)

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik

Yes, the source signal has to be at least 720p to be considered true HD. Your TV doesn't automatically just make anything input into it true HD. Wow, if only something like that existed!

Now these days you have DVD players that will upconvert regular DVD's to 720p and 1080i. These are half step technologies because the source signal is still the 480i or pthat all DVD's are.

You just have a really nice pro scan DVD picture. It's not HD at all. You're looking at a nice 480p picture on a nice TV that's handling it well.

Switch on Discovery HD and compare that picture. THAT'S true HD.

Neil McCaulley

Stunt Coordinator
What is a good brand DTV Receiver I can purchase to use with an antenna and UHF preamplifier that costs under $300?

John S

Senior HTF Member
480p DVD, is considered EDTV by the way.. Extended definition television. It can be real good for sure.

http://www.mpsuperstore.com/Electron...71.htm?grabber

On a tuner under $300, but you can go down to a local store and usually score a much better price on one open box.

My local CC asserts many people buy the wrong thing, and return them, thinking they are a Satalite tuner, which they are not, just an Over-the-air ATSC HDTV tuner/reciever.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

True. DVD can be excellent on a good widesceeen display, but HDTV, especially the stuff that is filmed in HDTV video (Discovery Channel, PBS, Sports) will blow you away. As good as DVD is, it cannot compare to HDTV. Watching a NE Patriots game last year, there was a slight mist falling and you could see the individual water droplets forming on the helmets of the guys in the huddle. That's HDTV!!

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Neil,

As for antennae, *any* tv antenna will pick up digital/HD channels. The Radio Shack double bowtie mentioned elsewhere in this thread is a great indoor antenna. I've owned three of them over the past few years. They worked beautifully in Brookhaven-- I hid mine behind the tv. However, now that I'm in Marietta, I'm using an outdoor antenna.

One thing to note about Atlanta in particular is that WXIA (NBC) is a VHF station, as it's transmitted on channel 10. As it's rather high in the VHF band, you're likely to receive this station via a UHF-only antenna (like the double bowtie).

Also, I didn't realize you're in Acworth. I just emailed a guy who also inquired about HD reception in Acworth. Kinda funny. I'll tell you the same thing-- while you can (and probably will) receive all of Atlanta's digital stations, I should warn you that Acworth is a trouble spot for reception, due to the terrain. It can be very difficult to pull in digital signals through hills and trees. I'm 99% sure WGCL (CBS) and WSB (ABC) will be the most difficult channels to pull in.

Hope some of this rambling helps a bit. Congrats-- you're about to step into a much brighter TV world. :) If you have any Atlanta-specific questions, feel free to drop me a line or ask the georgiahdtv.com folks. We won't bite. :D

Best regards,
~~Nathan

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D

Not *any*. As far as I know, it has to be able to recieve UHF band.

Neil, Im curious. Where did you purchase your hdtv? And what prompted you to buy one. Didnt they have one on display showing an HD picture? Cause it sounds like you havent seen HD in all its glory. It really is breath taking.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Ok, allow me to rephrase--

As for antennae, *any* UHF and/or VHF tv antenna will pick up digital/HD channels.

It just so happens that most digital stations around the country transmit on the UHF band. However, there's no requirement that stations must broadcast in the UHF band.

Keith M.

Second Unit
Robert_J:
"It's not an advertised promotion. You have to call customer retention. I've posted this information a few times in the last few months."

Ive not found it after searching, please expand on this.

I just got off the phone w/ directv, Ive been a customer w/ them since 98 and have 4 receivers in my house and they offered me the same rate as everyone else...$349 or $399 w/ OTA which includes installation.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
If I recall correctly. I believe I read on some other threads about this $99. deal. You have to hassle them about it and ask to speak to a supervisor about it cause the Customer Service Reps dont know anything about it.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
SInce it seems to be available from "customer retension", I would threaten to switch to cable because the $399 is too much to pay. Say your cable company is offering free installation and free HDTV locals, that should get the ball rolling. Often they hold back these types of deals until the customer tries to cancel their dish subscription.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Link Customer Retention's phone number is on the last post.

AVS has a lot of stories on deals people got and how they went about it. I linked to page 99 so you might want to read backwards since things have changed since the thread was started last year.

-Robert

Neil McCaulley

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to all that have educated me about HDTV and receiving the programming for it. Since funds are low right now, and I returned the HDTV Receiver I bought from DirecTV out of frustration, I think I am just going to sit and wait until A) the price drops significantly on receivers, and B) a high definition signal can be braodcast through the connection I already have through my dish.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's already been announced. DirecTV just has to send up a new satellite to cover the top 20 markets (a guess/rumor) and upgrade the dishes to pick up this new satellite location. If you aren't in a large television market it may be years before you get HD via satellite.

-Robert

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
This thread made me chuckle. Here's a question for you: What's a bigger rip-off for HD? DirecTV, DISH, or VOOM? ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I live in Duluth, and to get all the available OTA HD channels, I use a double bowtie UHF antenna, and a 20dB signal booster, plus a VHF antenna (for NBC, channel 11/10) that is combined with the UHF antenna (using a coax splitter in reverse) and fed into my Samsung SIR-T165. Sometimes reception can be problematic due to rainy weather conditions, but I've been pleased with the OTA HD broadcasts that I watch almost every night of the week.

William D Cavender

Stunt Coordinator
I live in the Oakland Bay area and receive CBS, NBC in HD along with Directv 5 other HD broadcasts and soon they will add FOX. By the middle of next year there will be many more stations in HD from Directv.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Who do you all think has the brightest prospects or best deals on HD programming? Cable? DirectTV? DISH? or VOOM?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I don't know, but I do enjoying watching the Voom girl in their 30 minute infomercial on the weekends.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Cable is certainly the easiest solution but they are usually the slowest to add channels.

Directv is rather slow now but I expect alot more to be added shortly and then the gap will be widened.

Dish has said that no more HD for a while due to no more room. D* Has plenty and is planning to ramp it up.

Voom has the most HD but it's a huge hassle and there is always the rumors about voom dying soon. Voom is in dire straits right now and while they offer the most HD, they don't offer any deals worth mentioning to get you to install it plus their installers are usually terrible. Then their billing is pretty awful and this doesn't include their customer service which has been mentioned as AWFUL at best. Voom is also going up in rates in January and I predict they will lose even more folks. Right now they are losing more than gaining. That is not a good sign.

So right now if you can deal with the cost of satellite it is going to offer you quite a bit(an an antennae). I would say later this next year, we'll see satellite be the HD leader. Cable will still be much easier to get and get going and the cost of their DVR's will be a big draw for alot of folks. The $999 D* wants for theirs is a bit troublesome to me so I've considered switching back to Cox but I don't know yet what I'm going to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks