What's new

"Director's Cut" releases (1 Viewer)

ThomasJB

Auditioning
Are there any films you'd like to see on DVD where the director releases a "director's cut" version?

I'm thinking more Blade Runner style changes than Lethal Weapon here.

Personally, I've always wanted to see the version of The Saint (with Val Kilmer) that was initially tested and then butchered to the version released in cinemas.

More details here: http://uk.imdb.com/AlternateVersions?0120053

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'd like to see the original cut of "The Avengers" to see if it sucked less.

I'd also be curious to see "What Dreams May Come" with the original score, which Harry hyped to a certain extent on AICN at the time. I'd also like to see if there were other scenes that went in a different direction than where the plot of the movie went.

Jason

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Ditto on The Avengers. There's got to be something like half an hour cut out, making the movie almost completely incomprehensible.

I'd be curious to see Air Force One with the original Randy Newman score, which was apparently tossed for being too intense.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to see a long version of Billy Bob Thornton's All the Pretty Horses. Of the movies I've seen from the past couple of years, that one smacked the most of being chopped up.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'd like to see a reconstruction of Buster Keaton's "The Cameraman." Roughly one reel was lost before 1930 (the extant 16mm production print and sparkling 35mm fine-grain lack this) but was fully described by Keaton in the 1950s.

It's mostly stuff that would only require some stock footage with perhaps a stand-in standing in front of a rear projection screen. It would at least be better than the jarring cut in the current (but beautiful) version.

Plus, it would be a great excuse to re-record the awful quality piano score that has been attached to it. It would be great if re-performed on an organ or even just a plain piano.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I would like to see SW and IJ archival cuts that include all (or almost all) footage shot. The only cuts I would like on these versions are for time, not content (e.g. a character walking to their mark could be trimmed, but not dialogue).

I would very much like to see Shatner have another shot at Star Trek V.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Good for you, Bryan. It's good to remain optimistic.

I suppose that as long as the director doesn't face a major life change or pass away unexpectedly (I certainly hope they live to a ripe old age all the while producing great entertainments), one can never say never.

Conor R

Grip
Donners SII first all with new special fx. .
I'm gonna say Chris Reeves SIV because he actually want the film to be good. Sidney J. Fuire didn't.
So Superman IV the 134 minute cut all with new special fx.

Chris Miller

Agent
American History X

Then there's countless films I'd just like to see the complete unrated versions of (The Rules Of Attraction, 8MM, Killing Zoe, Gummo, etc). Also probably a few PG-13 films out there it'd be nice to see the original R versions of.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Thought I'd resurrect this thread to see if anyone's come up with anything else. Since I last posted, we have indeed gotten the closest thing to a director's cut of Alien 3 as we ever will with the "Assembly Cut."

One thing I might add (although it would most likely be completely impossible) would be James Whale's original cut of Bride of Frankenstein. Wouldn't it be wonderful if a print or even a partial one just happened to surface in some warehouse somewhere. I guess it's always fun to dream. :D

Beau

Supporting Actor
I'd be curious to see Air Force One with the original Randy Newman score, which was apparently tossed for being too intense.
MAN! I love this movie and think the score it has is great, but there's a MORE INTENSE one?!?!?!!?! Would LOVE to watch the movie with it.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"I'd also be curious to see "What Dreams May Come" with the original score, which Harry hyped to a certain extent on AICN at the time."

What Dreams May Come has a beautiful score. If Knowles criticized the existing score for What Dreams May Come, that's all I need to know in order to appreciate the existing score even more.

The alternate ending for What Dreams May Come seen on the DVD is another matter. As much as I adore the film (it is one of my ten favorite films of all time), the alternate ending is more powerful than the softer touch used in the theatrical release.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
I may as well say it: I'm looking forward to see if the Daredevil director's cut is closer to the film's novelization, because that filled in a lot of the current cut's plotholes.

I suppose I'd sit through Jeremiah Chechik's cut of The Avengers, but from what I've read, that project was pretty much mucked with from the beginning.

How about Terry Gilliam's 2 and a half hour cut of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen? He's said that all the extant footage still exists, but has no real desire to revisit the film (not that I blame him).

Oh, and the John McTiernan cut of The 13th Warrior, too. As it is, the first five minutes feel like there's another 25 minutes of backstory missing.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Wow, someone mentions The Saint (I was the one who submitted the info on cut scenes to imdb).

I thought I saw some sort of footage from an alternate ending for the 13th Warrior in the TV ads.

I thought I saw the Norse woman came back to the Middle East with Ibn. She is shown in Mid-east garb.

Just don't verify me on that one. I only saw the TV ads (for the 13th Warrior) a long time ago.

paul_goz

Agent
I would pay HUGE cash for a directors cut DVD of the Cammell / Roeg Masterpiece "Performance".

Roeg is still alive.

Sandy lieberson has outakes.

Original negatives are in the Warner Vaults.

Film school sales alone, justify the restoration and mastering.

Why can't this one happen?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks