What's new

Directors DIRECTOR FILMOGRAPHY - The Films of MEL BROOKS (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
re: F for Frankenstein

Firstly, unlike most of you, I think I laughed once the entire movie. The one thing Sgt. Hartman hates is an unlocked footlocker, and if there's one thing I hate it is an unfunny comedy. So it would probably get a D from me in any event just for not being funny. The F stems from my utter distaste for what Brooks has done to a real movie classic and work of art, The Bride Of Frankenstein. His movie moves well beyond simple parody of broad elements of the previous films. By mocking specific scenes, such as the heartbreaking blind man episode, he is placing his work as somehow superior. In my view, he see's Frankenstein as an assortment of old clunky movies ripe to be sent up (otherwise, why parody (a euphemism for "make fun of") the films in the first place?

Frankenstein is one of the great characters of film and literature. Whale and Karloff brought out the tragic, tortured qualities of the "monster" to great effect. Brooks makes an utter mockery of who Frankenstein is. James Whale placed Frankenstein in a world of absurdity, exploitation, and pain but with ephemeral moments of joy that further reinforce the tragic nature of the character. Mel Brooks uses Frankenstein as a silly joke.

Please spare me all the passionate defenses of the movie, because bottom line, none of you can talk me into thinking a movie that I don't think is funny is a comedy classic.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Brook,

If you found Young Frankenstein unfunny, then your ranking (even of an F) on that basis is fully justified, even if I find it nearly unbelievable that you don't find it hilarious, considering some of the other comedies that you do like.

However, to base it on some belief that Mel Brooks was being disrespectful of the original films is just ludicrous. Mel Brooks loved those films, and created a loving parody of them. The fact that he went to the trouble to get original equipment, that he was knowlegeable enough about all the films to have specific scenes to parody, etc., speaks volumes about his love of those films.

You seem to be offended that he would dare make fun of something you hold precious. It seems like you think it's blasphemous that he'd make fun of a scene from a movie that you found touching. OK, you're right to feel personally offended, but that doesn't mean that Mel Brooks doesn't love those films as much as you do, just that he didn't see anything wrong with parodying them.

I'd venture to say that most of us who love Young Frankenstein also love at least the first 2 films as much as you.

I certainly wouldn't try to talk you into reevaluating this film, as you are so blinded by hatred of it, you could never enjoy it, but if you think there was any meanspiritedness or malice in Mel Brooks heart towards those films when he made them, then you are simply 100% incorrect.

Your ranking of F is 100% accurate, since that's how you feel about the film, but your evaluation of the filmmaker is 100% wrong.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I saw YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN as a kid in 1974 (I was 12) and I hated it, for the reasons Brook mentioned. Later on, I was able to appreciate what Mel was trying to do, and I've come to agree that it's a classic comedy - and very funny. With many examples like this I think I was more "serious" about issues like this as a child than I am now.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
1. Blazing Saddles

2. Spaceballs

3. The Producers

4. Young Frankenstein

5. Silent Movie

6. Robin Hood: Men In Tights

7. History Of The World Part 1

8. Life Stinks-stinks

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Films seen are rated. Owned in bold:

Dracula: Dead and Loving It (1995) :star:
Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993) :star: :star: :star:
Life Stinks (1991):star:
Spaceballs (1987):star: :star: :star: 1/2
An Audience with Mel Brooks (1983) (TV)
History of the World: Part I (1981):star: :star: :star: :star:
High Anxiety (1977):star: :star: :star: :star: Hhalf:
Silent Movie (1976):star: :star: :star: :star:
Young Frankenstein (1974):star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Blazing Saddles (1974):star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
The Twelve Chairs (1970)
The Producers (1968):star: :star: :star: :star:

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
Spaceballs (1987) - 4/10
History of the World: Part I (1981) - 3/10
Young Frankenstein (1974) - 9/10
Blazing Saddles (1974) - 9/10
The Twelve Chairs (1970) - 7/10
The Producers (1968) - 7/10

I think I've seen High Anxiety and maybe Silent Movie but it would have been ages ago.

Brian.L

Supporting Actor

ALL RATINGS OUT OF :star::star::star::star::star: (FIVE) STARS

Dracula: Dead and Loving It (1995) :star::star:
Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993) :star::star:1/2
Life Stinks (1991)
Spaceballs (1987) :star::star::star:1/2
An Audience with Mel Brooks (1983) (TV)
History of the World: Part I (1981)
High Anxiety (1977)
Silent Movie (1976)
Young Frankenstein (1974)
Blazing Saddles (1974) :star::star::star:1/2
The Twelve Chairs (1970)
The Producers (1968)

MEL BROOKS

Life Stinks (1991) +
Spaceballs (1987) +++
History of the World: Part I (1981) +++
High Anxiety (1977) +
Silent Movie (1976) +
Young Frankenstein (1974) +++++
Blazing Saddles (1974) +++
The Twelve Chairs (1970)
The Producers (1968) +++++

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks