What's new

Directors DIRECTOR FILMOGRAPHY - The Films of GEORGE ROMERO (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well we're really into personal opinion here, but I disagree with those particular assessments. I think 2001 and Citizen Kane are more highly thought of as films by a more general film buff population, but I think the horror fanatics who would rate Night of the Living Dead as the top film, are more like sci-fi fanatics who would rate The Day the Earth Stood Still or Forbidden Planet as the top sci-fi film. I think films like Frankenstein or Psycho would be more of the horror equivalent of Citizen Kane or 2001.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
In order of merit:

1.Night of the Living Dead (1968) ***1/2
2.Martin (1977) ***
3.Dawn of the Dead (1978) **1/2
4.The Crazies (1973) **1/2
5.Monkey Shines (1988) **1/2
6.Land Of The Dead (2005) **1/2
7.Day of the Dead (1985) **
8.Hungry Wives (1973) **
9.Creepshow (1982) **

Mike,

Nice to see you on board for these things, as well:)! However, you've broken my heart with your comment (of sorts) on Nicolas Roeg's DON'T LOOK NOW (1973):frowning:. I can see how some would find it too arty for their tastes but I've loved it to bits from my very first viewing in the late 80s/early 90s which had the added frisson of watching something really steamy and forbidden:). Even though I've yet to pick it up on DVD myself:frowning:, it's a brilliant, brilliant film and still Roeg's masterpiece.

I'm with you on FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN (1974), though. I had wanted to watch the two Andy Warhol horror movies for ages but I didn't want to go the expensive Criterion route for once; it's a good thing I waited, too, since I then bought the budget-priced German 2-Disc Set which, of course, pairs it with BLOOD FOR DRACULA (1974). I'm glad I've caught up with them, particularly because of Claudio Gizzi's beautiful music scores, but if they were intended to be "with-it" spoofs of the genre, they're only partly successful at best.

George,

We agree whole-heartedly on something for once:). I've never understood how this business of DAWN OF THE DEAD being the CITIZEN KANE (1941) of Horror movies came about. I don't even get how DAWN is in any way percieved to be superior to NIGHT, let alone the rest of the accolades fans have been pouring on it of late:confused:.

P.S. Apart from the first 3 which I've watched a few times now (albeit not that many, either:)), I've only watched the rest once and some of them a long time ago, too...so, keep that in mind when looking at my rankings. I've had the SE DVD of THE CRAZIES for some time now but have yet to give it a spin.

Incidentally, THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD (1985) is being shown on MGM over here tonight and, if the screwy reception permits:frowning:, I intend to watch it again. It's been a long while since I've done so...

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Like it or not, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD is considered a great horror film. This is not just a few fans' opinions, but even mainstream critics'. HALLOWEEN and even THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE are thought of as great, generally speaking.

Everyone's entitled to his own personal opinion, naturally, but there is something to be said about a film's main "reputation". That's the label it's going to receive regardless of how we may feel about it ourselves.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

It isn't. Dawn of the Dead is the Citizen Kane of zombie movies, big difference.;)
Just like Night of the Living Dead is the Maltese Falcon of zombie movies.
And of course Day of the Dead is the Treasure of the Sierra Madre of[STOP IT STEVE!]:D

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
1. Dawn Of The Dead

2. Martin

3. The Dark Half

4. Night Of The Living Dead

5. Day Of The Dead

6. Creepshow

7. Monkey Shines

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Dawn of the Dead (1978) - :star::star::star::star:
Night of the Living Dead (1968) - :star::star::star:1/2
Bruiser (2000) - :star::star::star:
Day of the Dead (1985) - :star::star::star:
Land of the Dead (2005) - :star::star::star:

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
Land of the Dead (2005) - 6/10
Day of the Dead (1985) - 5/10
Creepshow (1982) - 6/10
Dawn of the Dead (1978) - 6/10
Martin (1977) - 7/10
Night of the Living Dead (1968) - 7/10

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Bill, since you're at the festival, have you heard if DIARY or the new Argento films have been picked up for an American release? The last I heard neither had but did they go over well?

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Diary has a sales agent (Voltage Pictures) but not a US distributer, Mother of Tears has a US distributer, Myriad Pictures.

Audience response to both films was phenomenal!

Both films surpassed their already high expectations and I personally loved both of them.

Mother of Tears is vintage Argento, funny, scary, cheesy (in the way that all Argento's films have an element of cheesiness), and very violent and bloody...there's definitely going to be US ratings problems with this film.

The movie looked terrific as well, nothing like those cheap made-for-Italian-TV films that he's been churning out in the last few years. It was also a Agento/Suspiria reunion, bringing together Dario, Asia Argento (who was there at the premiere with her dad), Dario Nicolodi (unrecogonizable), Udo Kier and Claudio Simonetti (who's rather bland score was my only disappointment).

Diary of the Dead is a clever revision of the events of the first Dead film, instead of taking place in the sixties, the new film takes places in today's era of phone cameras, camcorders and the Internet...and Romero has plenty to say about those.

The film that we see is a home-video project created by amateur filmmakers ("The Death of Death") detailing the beginning of the Zombie outbreak.

This film is definitely more restrained than Argento's, but there's plenty of innovative zombie kills utilizing both Greg Nicotero's wonderful make-up and some well done cgi effects (the low budget didn't skimp on the effects work).

The Diary premiere was a madhouse, it was standing room only and the place was swarming with zombies. Romero and his entire cast were there as well as Greg Nicotero and Dario Argento sitting in the audience.

To see photos and video of the premieres, visit the TIFF Midnight Madness blog here:

http://tiff07.ca/blogs/blog/default.aspx?blg=3

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Thanks for the write up, Bill. I just now noticed it and have since seen both of the films. I thought THREE MOTHERS was Argento's best in years but I was left disappointed with DIARY, although I'm going to need another viewing of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks