1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Direct Graphic DVD Comparisons now Online!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gary Tooze, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Well-Known Member

PowerDVD tends to export the screen captures in rectangular pixels. Some programs can accomidate this (Photoshop, for example) Others can't, like Microsoft Paint, giving you the 720x480 source image, which features a ratio of 1.50:1. When doing capping for my own reviews with PowerDVD (see sig for recent examples), I always resize the caps to 720x405 on anamorphic titles to regain the 16x9 proper shape, then crop away overscan bars from that. Hope that's informative as to the possible squeeze problem.

P.S. A great site, very informative service. I will be sure to consult it on titles where there is more than one version. I noticed the Region 1 releases tend to have better color fidelity over their comparative releases. Truman Show is a clear example of a better looking transfer, despite the fact the Region 1 is non-anamorphic and the other release is anamorphic.

As for Criterion releases vs. other releases, they seem to be of a lower bitrate, but have better color fidelity and respect composition more. Sparticus is a clear example of this (Perhaps because of RAH's involvement in their release?) However I tend to favor the competition for black and white releases, were the bitrate has a much more noticable effect.

2. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Well-Known Member

3. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Well-Known Member

Good stuff. The Truman Show comparisons were not as obvious as I would have thought (following the "PAL = better" principal so many follow). There looks to be slightly finer detail in skin tones on the R1 in those face shots.

The town shot is harder to judge given the different framing, the anamrophic R2 has the SLIGHT edge there in the minute detail on the houses and in colour.

4. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Well-Known Member

5. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Well-Known Member

Well, one thing to keep in mind on bitrates, white (lighter) takes more bits than black (dark) generally speaking in MPG/JPG compression. That is, by making the overall picture darker you can often reduce the file size of a JPG, for example

Hard-Boiled is a good example of this in application. Criterion appears to have the black level done properly, while Winstar definately has the picture washed out. So while their bitrate is higher it would seem to have more to do with the encoding of the lighter gray blacks versus the more accurate and darker Criterion image.

edit - notice also the HUGE increase on the DtRT bitrate...well increasing colors and adding lines of video for the anamorphic version have a lot to do with that (though the overall detail also looks better).

Gary, this is an excellent feature. I just stumbled onto it. I sure hope you can keep it up.

6. Gary Tooze

7. Gary Tooze

Added:
    Alliance Atlantis Region1 "The Red Violin" vs. Universal Region 1
    I believe I got the exact frame for 5 of the 6 images...
    http://www.compare.dvdbeaver.com/

8. Bill McA

Bill McA Well-Known Member

9. Dave Barth

Dave Barth Well-Known Member

This is a very interesting feature and makes me want to buy a region-free player all the more...

10. cafink

cafink Well-Known Member

What program do you use to view the bitrate graphs?

11. Gary Tooze

12. Gary Tooze

For a laugh: ( Here is an even bigger reason Bill ! )
    TBMC Region 0 "The Seven Year Itch" vs. CBS/Fox Region 1
    in the "Region 1(or '0' NTSC) vs. Region 1" section.
    The Pan and Scan TBMC version represents what I remember when seeing the film on televsion many many years ago... Quite a huge difference.
    By the way, Our "The Red Violin" comparison lean towards that film being shot in 'Open Matte' ie. " ...a variable aspect ratio (usually 1.66:1 or 1.85:1) "... and specified matted by the projectionist in the theatre.
    Regards,
    Gary

13. Gary Tooze

Two more updates:
    Artificial Eye Region 2 PAL "Ivan's Childhood" vs. German Television transmission ( by Steffen Bieker mail@bieker.de )
    Criterion Region 0 NTSC "The Killer" vs. Region 1 encoded Fox/Lorber - Winstar
    Regards,
    Gary

14. Gary Tooze

FYI,
    With the help of Jeroen, Markus has added the Starmax NTSC Yi Yi Region 0 version to his DVD Comparison in the NTSC vs. PAL section.
    It is by the far the best version of the three, as you can plainly see.
    It now reads:
    Fox Lorber NTSC Region 0 "Yi Yi" vs. ICA Projects PAL Region 2 vs Starmax NTSC Region 0
    Cheers,
    Gary

15. Gary Tooze

New One:
    Artificial Eye - R2 - PAL "Rosetta" vs. SPRING - Region 0 - NTSC
    NOTE: I only bought the SPRING one because it was so cheap on EBay and I didn't own a region-free player at that stage. It was the only option on DVD for Region 1 NTSC 'ers.
    Cheers,

16. Gary Tooze

My R2 discs arrived so I can do a few more. I have posted:
    Mega Star (Salon Films) - NTSC - Region 0 "Cyclo" vs. ARTE - Region 2 - PAL
    Cheers,

17. Gary Tooze

Two new Comparisons:
    Columbia Tri-Star Studios - NTSC Region 1 "The Scent of Green Papaya" vs. ARTE - Region 2 - PAL
    - the Pan and Scan Columbia disc is miles behind the Arte... I hate to compainn about Columbia Tri-Star as their discs are usually magnificent. I don't know why they didn't put the effort into this one.
    Artificial Eye - PAL Region 2 "Eureka" vs. Artist Film - Japanese Region 2 - NTSC
    This last one really shows the flaws of the Artificial Eye DVD...
    Cheers,
    Gary

18. Gary Tooze

Three more:
    Central Park Media Region 0- NTSC "Grave of the Fireflies" vs. Warner Bros. Japan R2 - NTSC
    Artificial Eye - R2 - PAL "La Promesse" vs. New Yorker Film - Region 1 - NTSC
    and in the R1 vs. R1 section "Singin' in the Rain" Old R1 vs. Upcoming "New" R1 ( courtesy of DVD Authority)
    http://www.compare.dvdbeaver.com
    Not much to say about any La Promesse differences - pretty compatible... but we R1'ers got shafted on the Grave of the Fireflies... I wonder if the new one (also by Central Park Media) coming out with have a better image and the proper aspect ratio (not picture-boxed) as well as Ebert's commentary...
    Cheers,
    Gary

19. Gary Tooze

I have redone the captures for the Hard Boiled comparison in the R1 section. I now realize why, on this particular film, that it was hard matching the correct frame. Criterion has slightly cropped there image on the DVD (my guess is to remove the apparent frayed edges visible on the Fox/Lorber DVD).
    Criterion first, Fox next
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Cheers,
    Gary

20. Gary Tooze

New Comparison:
    Zeitgeist Video Region 1- NTSC "Water Drops on Burning Rocks" vs. Artificial Eye Region 2 - PAL
    The Artificial Eye disc is a bit more detailed, check out the title screen, buildings in the distance have more detail. You can clearly see there's more detail in the Artificial Eye disc: watch the skin under her eyes in the 5th capture below. The Zeitgeist Video Disc is washed out, plus whites are clipping. The Artificial Eye disc has better skin tones. On the Zeitgeist Video Disc they are too green.
    In favor of the Zeitgeist R1 the Artificial Eye disc is cropped a little compared to the OAR of 1.66:1.
    The Artificial Eye disc shows combing in the fast movement. You can't see it now because of the resolution adjustment for the webpage, but in the original untouched capture you could clearly see it. The Artificial Eye disc is a bit too dark. Black level is excellent though, but there's not enough shadow detail. - Jeroen H. Komen
    Cheers,
    Gary