What's new

Direct Graphic DVD Comparisons now Online! (1 Viewer)

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Hi Rich,
I won't comment on the colors - as I don't know what they looked like originally.
Blu-Ray images larger than the other images? It seems biased to a bigger image is a better image mentality
Biased in favor of the SD-DVD really.
They are not the same size natively Rich. Let's do some math...
The SD-DVD native capture sizes for 16X9 widescreen NTSC are 960 X 540.
For Blu-ray they are 1920 X 1080.
We reduce the SD-DVD to 800 pixels wide (a 16.6% decrease). This was done as originally over 50% of our following had their screen monitor resolution set to 800 wide. Today I find it is, 1st spot, 42.19% have at 1024x768 and 28.49% at 1280x1024. I am one of the 1.64% that have their monitors at 1600x1200.
Reducing images tends to lessen there ability to define deficiencies and can make them look better than they are in native size.
If we reduce the HD images to 800 wide we would be reducing them by a whopping 58.3% (technically this could be considered an unfair advantage). In trying to even this playing field to some degree we've decreased this number to 50% (960 wide) but realizing this is still far too much we've added links to their original resolution. I've debated cropping off segments of the image (as Leonard did for Fearless.) I don't want to increase beyond in native segments as I find this lends itself to an unfair representation (for SD) and my software cannot to as good a job as most people's HT systems. The larger you blow up an image from its native capacity - the worse it looks. If you don't believe me try it on your own computer (save a small image from the Net and increase its size).
Best,
Gary

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Hi Stephen,
I own it but it is one of those rare discs that I cannot get grabs for... although I will keep trying to crack it.
Leonard should be finished his review on Friday though,
Best,
Gary

JackKay

Second Unit
Hey Gary, what's going on over on DVD Beaver??? Looks cool to me. And is that really true about "Greed"?

jack

I get suckered in to these things every year.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Gary Tooze said:
Let's do some math...
The SD-DVD native capture sizes for 16X9 widescreen NTSC are 960 X 540.
For Blu-ray they are 1920 X 1080.
We reduce the SD-DVD to 800 pixels wide (a 16.6% decrease). This was done as originally over 50% of our following had their screen monitor resolution set to 800 wide. Today I find it is, 1st spot, 42.19% have at 1024x768 and 28.49% at 1280x1024. I am one of the 1.64% that have their monitors at 1600x1200.
Reducing images tends to lessen there ability to define deficiencies and can make them look better than they are in native size.
If we reduce the HD images to 800 wide we would be reducing them by a whopping 58.3% (technically this could be considered an unfair advantage). In trying to even this playing field to some degree we've decreased this number to 50% (960 wide) but realizing this is still far too much we've added links to their original resolution. I've debated cropping off segments of the image (as Leonard did for Fearless.) I don't want to increase beyond in native segments as I find this lends itself to an unfair representation (for SD) and my software cannot to as good a job as most people's HT systems. The larger you blow up an image from its native capacity - the worse it looks. If you don't believe me try it on your own computer (save a small image from the Net and increase its size).
Best,
Gary
Gary,
Thanks for that. I agree with the issues. Unfortunately, there is a perception that big is beautiful, no secret to anyone buying oversized boxes of PC software over the years.
I wondered if there is software out there that can effectively maintain the screen resolution while increasing the image size. Thus, you could reach your objective of showing a larger image yet still keep SD's native resolution. If so, you could make it apples to apples with the same image size. Does such software exist ... anybody know?
Nice Star Trek comparison. I think that will make many a Trekkie happy although the faces seem a bit too pink to my eye.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks