What's new

Digital Video Essentials NOW Available (a MERGED thread with all prior DVE posts) (1 Viewer)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I was checking out DVD Profiler the other day by release dates and I noticed that they have DVE listed as a November release. Does anyone have this yet or is it a DVD Profiler mistake?

Carl Mulder

Stunt Coordinator
Is it just me or is anybody else really excited out the new digital video essentials.
It will offer true progressive 480p, 24 frames per second and image quality is suppossed to be 30% better. (cool)
This will be the best video dvd has to offer.

Does anybody know if warner brothers are releasing anymore in true progresive or not?
Anybody else excited?

Michael Bailey

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, Iam excited with one caveat... When will D video essentials be released! They have been promising it for over a year!

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I think Joe is somewhat worried about copy protection, and this may be delaying its release. He is also working on the D-VHS (possibly D-Theater encrypted?) version of Digital Video Essentials, which I understand will be in amazing 1080p!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
While I'm all for this great new disc, I think it's misleading the way it has been marketed as the first progressive-scan DVD.

If we're going to be fair, every film-sourced DVD transfer that has been encoded as 24 fps (48 field per second) with the proper field-flagging to mark frame pairs is a "true" 480 Progressive disc. Most such film transfers are *not* encoded as 60 fields-per-second on the disc. Rather, they are stored as 48 fields-per-second with instructions for the MPEG decoder to apply 3-2 pulldown to produce an standard NTSC signal. Since the signal is digital, if the flags have been properly applied to mark frame-pair fields as progressive-fields, then 480P playback can be easily produced prior to MPEG decoding if desired (like a few JVC players and most HTPCs).

The *only* thing that makes such transfers less-than-progressive perfect is that most of them have been vertically filtered to reduce aliasing on interlaced displays which reduces sharpness and detail in the vertical domain. I'd be very curious to find out if Joe Kane's promotion of his disc as 'true 480 progressive' means that he's not applying such prefiltering. This would make his disc less than ideal for interlaced displays, but would improve resolution and detail dramatically on progressive-scan displays.

I for one and hoping that the studios start to apply less and less (or no) vertical filtering to their transfers. I doubt that many non-videophile consumers would complain about the scan-line transitions being slightly accentuated and it would certainly make an image worthy of a 100" screen when displayed properly in 480P!

(p.s. Supposedly Titanic has no vertical filtering applied...though it's 4x3 lbxed status hardly makes it a reference disc IMO)

Whenever something has been in the works as long as Digital Video Essentials I’m a bit leery of any published dates. However. I see on this page http://videoessentials.com/dve.htm that it was going to be demoed at the Consumer Electronics Show in January, but I didn’t see any reports of it. Is that schedule still good? When will we see Digital Video Essentials on the store shelves?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Try this link:

http://www.videoessentials.com/dve.htm

"There is a strong possibility we’ll have the HD video and audio edited in early November. If we can keep to that schedule we should have the D-Theater versions of DVE available at the CES in January of 2003. We are not yet announcing a January 2003 delivery date, just aiming at it."

Gary Reber

Grip
We have been notified by Joe Kane that the very first units of Joe Kane Productions' "Digital Video Essentials" in both 1080i and 720p HD D-VHS D-Theater versions will be made available to Widescreen Review. We will have a limited supply of both versions on hand for sale at the Home Entertainment Show in San Francisco, June 6 to 8 at the Westin St. Francis Hotel for $89.99 each. All the pre-orders for "DVE" will be filled first and shipped just before or immediately after the Home Entertainment Show depending on our receiving the first shipment allocation. We are now taking pre-orders for "DVE" in both versions at www.WidescreenReview.com and www.DVHSMovieGuide.com. The initial production order is extremely limited and we suggest that if you want to be assured of being among the first to own "DVE" that you order NOW! The first allotment of "DVE" is expected to sell out quickly.

"Digital Video Essentials," the long-awaited follow-up to the best-selling "Video Essentials," is the most advanced program for calibrating today's high-definition displays.

Featuring the visual work of renowned cinematographer Allen Daviau ("E.T.-The Extra Terrestrial," "Empire Of The Sun," "The Color Purple"), "DVE" is the one...the only...calibration program that will render all the other existing calibration disc obsolete.

The DVD version of "Digital Video Essentials" in NTSC and PAL versions will become available July 15. We are now taking pre-orders for these two DVD versions at $24.99. Please order at www.WidescreenReview.com or www.DVHSMovieGuide.com

Gary Reber

Grip
The 720p and 1080i D-Theater versions of Digital Video Essentials have arrived in California and are being labeled and packaged for shipment to Widescreen Review. WSR will receive the first allotment of the title in time for the Home Entertainment Show in San Francisco at the Westin St. Francis Hotel June 6 to 8. Copies will be available for purchase at our booth (215 on the second floor) at the show. Immediately following the show we will ship all preorders! Quantities are extemely limited so be sure to get your preorder in to assure receiving your copy or copies. You can preorder at www.DVHSMovieGuide.com or phone toll-free 1 888 977 7827. The price for each version is $89.99.

Gary Reber

Grip
The 720p and 1080i D-Theater versions of Digital Video Essentials have arrived in California and are being labeled and packaged for shipment to Widescreen Review. WSR will receive the first allotment of the title in time for the Home Entertainment Show in San Francisco at the Westin St. Francis Hotel June 6 to 8. Copies will be available for purchase at our booth (215 on the second floor) at the show. Immediately following the show we will ship all preorders! Quantities are extemely limited so be sure to get your preorder in to assure receiving your copy or copies. You can preorder at www.DVHSMovieGuide.com or phone toll-free 1 888 977 7827. The price for each version is $89.99.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Yay! It's finally coming! Let us know how the DVD stacks up against AVIA. I haven't bought a disc yet because I was waiting for this one. Thanks for the notice.

JasonRosenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
FYI:

Technical features:
[*]High-Quality conversion to 480p/24 for NTSC and 576p/25 for PAL formats[*]"True Progressive Mastering" used in MPEG encoding[*]1.78 widescreen[*]Basic, intermediate and advanced levels of video calibration[*]Red, green and blue color filters[*]Dolby Digital Pro-Logic, Dolby Digital Surround EX and DTS ES multichannel audio test signals[*]More than 50 new video test patterns[*]1.78 widescreen anamorphic and 1.33 test materials

Also for reference material, "Featuring the visual work of renowned cinematographer Allen Daviau ("ET," "Empire of the Sun," "The Color Purple")"

Todd K

Second Unit
Will this new DVD be just as valuable for standard definition televisions?

If so, this will probably be a better bet than the current Avia disc, right?

Todd

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Woohoo! I was afraid it would be $40-50 like the original, which I refused to buy until I found it on sale for $23.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks