What's new

Digital Rebel Owners (1 Viewer)

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Canon EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 (the Kit lens)
Canon EF 70-210 f3.5-4.5 USM
Canon EF 28-80 f3.5-5.6 USM (kit lens from my EOS 500N)

One thing I noticed with the Kit lens whilst on holiday recently was that I was often wanting to zoom just beyond the 55 limit. I should probably have taken the 28-80 with me too. When walking around a busy tourist spot it just wasn't pracital to keep swapping lenses every few minutes.

Can someone clarify the length when used with the EOS 300D? I believe you multiple by 1.5 to get the equivalent film SLR lens length. How does this apply practically?

Thanks.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

The crop factor is 1.6X. So a 100mm lens on the D300 is equivalent to a 160mm on a 35mm film camera (or 35mm equivalent digital).

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
My camera has arrived, now I'm waiting for a flash card to be able to use it. The kit lens is way too short for what I need (shooting birds/wildlife), so another lens is on the wishlist.

I'm tempted by the reviews of the 70-200mm f4L (around $5-600), but am afraid it too will be too short without a teleconverter, which (aside from the $275 price tag) costs an additionl 2 f stops. The 75-300 IS was a possibility, but I'm wary of the focusing issues that one has at the far end.

The 100-400 f4.6 IS L is another contender, but it's too expensive for immediate consideration, especially since I don't have a decent tripod yet, and I do have some concerns about using that lens with a circular polarizer as I think the barrel rotates when focusing.

Craig LeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a 300d around two months ago and have been loving it ever since. So far for gear, I have:

RS60-E3 Shutter release cable
Lowepro Micro Trekker 200 backpack
256MB Sandisk Extreme CF card
512MB Sandisk regular CF card (newer model, so decently fast)

For glass:

EF-S 18-55mm kit lens with UV + Circular Polarizer filters
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di with UV filter

I bought the Tamron as a replacement for the kit lens...and even after only having it for a day, I can really notice the difference in sharpness...even wide open it's sharp!

Next purchases will be a good tripod/head combo and probably the battery grip. Then hopefully I'll be able to put money into a 70-200 f/4 L over the winter. I tried out a 70-200 f/2.8 L, but it's a little too heavy to carry around on the camera...maybe the battery grip will help change the center of mass and make it an option... but if I do get a f/2.8, it will probably be the Sigma EX HSM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks