What's new

Digital camera recommendations (1 Viewer)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
My daughter is looking for a compact digital camera, about $300 budget. She has her eye on a couple Canons and a Panasonic. Two of the models are listed below, if anyone is familiar with them? Generally, do they both make good quality cameras? I checked Consumer Reports and the Panasonics are rated the most reliable, with Canon right behind. What are some good websites for reviews? Thanks.

1) Panasonic Lumix ZS8

2) Canon Powershot SD4500

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
http://www.dcresource.com/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Also, check out Amazon and search on the camera models you are interested in, and read the customer reviews of those models.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Personally I think that there's little difference between a $300 digicam and the $100 specials at Costco or whatever if you aren't going to learn anything more about how to use it other than turning it on and pressing click. Dave your money, the image quality will be the same.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Also: consumer reports camera ratings are worthless. You can't go wrong with any name brand camera these days, try a few at the counter and go with what feels right. No digicam is any more reliable than the other, they all take mediocre pictures on autopilot, they all take great pictures when handledby someone with a good eye, lots of practice, or a little training, and they all stink as far as how long it takes from button press to actual picture shot unless you turn ALL the auto everything off.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You didn't ask about DSLRs, but if you consider that route, see this: http://www.navesink.net/2009/12/my-advice-to-people-who-ask-me-about.html

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I tend to agree w/ Sam.

Just get the relatively inexpensive one (of comparable feature set) that she intuitively likes better unless she plans to get serious about photography. If the sensor size actually differs between them, give preference to the one w/ the larger sensor (for likely better PQ) -- and also go for the one w/ the larger max apertures (ie. smaller f numbers).

I'd also recommend looking into last year's models that are being discontinued and most deeply discounted instead.

And don't fall for the super long zoom ranges unless she really must have that.

The only other thing I can think of is whether whatever video shooting functions would matter to her on these things -- might be handy for fun, impromptu, short takes...

_Man_

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Sticking my nose in... I completely agree with Sam's remarks.

Sam, BTW..... Bought a Nikon D5100 DSLR and a Nikon SB-700 speedlight last week ! LOVE THEM :) !!!!!!!!!! Highly recommended!

Take care,

Raul

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I keep dropping hints that I'd love to have another HTF meet in LA -or- Vegas but the powers that be seem to be holding off for the economy to recover. I'm ready when they are! Congrats on the new purchases Doc M! Don't forget to drop a few keepers in the HTF flickr pool, link below!

ArchMike

Agent
Real Name
Mike Alavane
I just picked up the D5100. So far, I just have the 1855VR lens, but I've been very happy with how it looks. It has that nice sturdy feel of good construction.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Sam & Mike, I just bought the Nikon 35mm f1.8 lens for my new Nikon D5100. It's a great prime lens. Converted to full frame format the view you get is that of close to the 50mm lenses (52mm in fact) I grew up with on film cameras. I used to have Leica M3, Nikon FTn, Nikkormat and Minolta 35mm film cameras while I was growing up. Now I have to "re-learn" how to use a prime (not zoom) lens again! BTW, this is a very well constructed lens.... metal bayonet mount (not plastic), and it comes with a pouch and lens hood. Sharp, crisp pictures and since it's f1.8 you can get good low light pictures. Also, the price is not bad for a Nikkor lens.... ~ $220. Raul

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hate to disagree with the Doc, but my advice is to NOT get the 55-200. For $375 you can get the Nikon 70-300VR which is the best bang for the buck lens Nikon makes. It's on my camera more than any other lens I own.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Is Nikon running another lens rebate program? Maybe that's how.. although you might need to buy a camera body to get *that* much rebate on it.

I got my 70-300VR a couple(?) years ago (more or less) that way myself...

OR is that possibly the going rate in the used market?

RE: the 35 f/1.8 DX, interesting DX prime. I'd probably get it if I didn't already own the older non-DX 35 f/2. Still, these days I tend to just stick w/ my 17-55 f/2.8 DX as my main/walkaround lens -- and usually keep the 70-300VR and 85 f/1.8 in my go-just-about-anywhere sling bag. If I feel certain I need something brighter (and/or w/ shallower DoF) at the long end, I may bring my 180 f/2.8 (or maybe my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8) instead. I regret not jumping on the original 70-200 f/2.8 VR way back when it was only ~$1500 minus $300(?) in rebates IIRC...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks