What's new

Digital bits sinks to new low (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
The studios can be stupid re their advertising dollars sometimes. I haven't yet and probably will never buy a single DVD because of their advertising, forced trailers, or anything else I find annoying and *possibly* not very accurate.

Some forms of advertising may work well for theatrical releases, but for DVD's they might need to rethink their strategy. For one thing, probably a little more thought goes into choosing a DVD, it's less throw-away than going to see a movie (don't mean that in a bad way). More thought means people might want more info. Thus these sites.

OTOH, I *do* buy a lot of DVD's because of HTF reviews and talk and info. Good talk on a DVD release that I thought wouldn't interest me or of an older film that I've never heard of can make me buy it.

What I'm saying is, these sites make a lot of money for the studios, if I represent even a minority of visitors.

[I am relatively new to The Digital Bits, so can't comment much on it. But I don't get any of these pop-up etc. ads. I don't know why, I don't have an ad blocker on this computer. Maybe I caught a virus that prevents unsolicited advertising? I wish.]

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I'll defend the Bits here. The Digital Bits is far and away the best online or that matter-print media too-dvd resource out there.

It's where I get nearly all of my dvd "inside stuff". Most of the scoop we HTF members write about or report, more often than not is first mentioned on the Digital Bits.

I haven't always agreed with Bill in some of his "My 2 Cents" stuff but I can honestly say he writes professionally and doesn't just throw out sound bites or zingers like alot of other dvd sites do.

I check their site every day for info on what's happening with my favorite dvd or what's on the horizon. Bill is obviously respected in the DVD industry and that's good for all of us.

We reap the benefits of his hard work. This post is not meant to be a kiss-up one but one that represents what I really do feel. And one to say let's show some patience with those pop ups and remember what a great service The Digital Bits provides for us all.

Steve Pendleton

Auditioning
I realize that websites like thedigtalbits and the present forum offer me valuable information essentially for free. The traditional static ads do not bother me. They pay the freight; I benefit; criss-cross. On the same theme, I regret that DVD Beaver did not run static ads and is now gone as a result.

That said, I immediately exited thedigitalbits as soon as I saw the obnoxious, persistant ad being discussed here. I have not been back. The businesses that pay thedigitalbits to run banner ads are getting less for their money because one fewer person is looking at their ads. It is bad business to let one seller drive consumers out of the store. It is bad business to let one seller devalue the store in the eyes other sellers who buy ads.

I vote with my feet. I buy products if discretly promoted. I will not buy products obnoxiously promoted.

--Steve Pendleton

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
While I don't like the ads, I don't mind them because it's worth it to be able to read industry info on a professional site.

It is inexcusable, however, when major companies, such as Rolling Stone and VH1, have ads like these on their websites.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I run a site for my graduating class, a personal site, and one for my radio station. Even THAT'S a pain in the ass. I can't imagine what running a site like this or TDB is.

Stop whining.

Mike

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Lay off The Digital Bits. It's one of the few decent DVD reviewing sites out there (really, there are too many hacks out there) and a few ads can't reduce the excellence of the work the staff does.

Besides, think of the opposite: What if it didn't have ads, but had a bunch of "OMG MONO SUX!" and "WHY IS CITIZEN KANE IN PAN & SCAM?!?!" type reviews? :D

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
This thread makes my blood boil. It displays either serious ignorance or immaturity from some people.

The Bits and htf do a quite simply amazing job providing high quality resources to us enthusiasts at absolutely no charge.

In an environment where there is endless junk we should all consider ourselves very lucky that there are the likes of Ron & Bill who are prepared to do this for relatively low financial reward. We are the ones who benefit from their efforts.

I am in the minority in that I'd happily pay a subscription for these sites. I used to read and pay for magazines (that also had ads). However, imho they have been almost replaced by the more immediate and in depth places like here and the Bits. So Ron/Bill if you ever want subscribers, please email me.

On the cost of running a web based business. It's naive to think that it's a cheap operation. Once you've purchased or rented hardware, paid for bandwidth, paid for people and then paid for the day to day expenses the bills quickly run into the hundreds of thousands. My company develops web sites amongst other things. It's not for free!

As for the studios. They are making business decisions based upon their desire to build awareness for and interest in their products. preaching to the converted is not the best strategy. My recommendation to the Bits would be to approach a single studio and look at some special coverage of an SE disc to stimulate interest. They need to generate angles beyond eyeballs.

Ultimately there are few economies that can survive where people are asked to work hard and develop valuable products services and not be paid for them. if you doubt this ask yourself how long you'd be prepared to work for 50% or less of your existing salary. So when you're moaning about ads. stop and think for a moment. These intrusive ads are there because the advertisers have deemed them valuable and are prepared to pay web sites to use them. If you are not paying or prepared to pay for the site - don't complain.

Sorry to lecture on this. But some of these posts are quite simply mindless.

Ron, Bill, Parker and others - we all owe you far more than suffering through a few pop ups. I personally want to just say thanks for the effort.

Kind regards
Rob

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Ads can be annoying, sure, but what's the alternative? Having the siytes disappear? Having them move to a subscription-based model? I'll take the ads, thank you.

Before enthusiast sites like the HTF, AVS, or The Bits (or specialty sites for other hobbies, pick your poison) came along, any one of us could easily spend over $20 a month on magazines devoted to our hobbies. Now, we don't have to. We get more information, more in-depth analysis, all on a more timely fashion, for free. How anyone could have the stones to complain about the occasional ad helping keep the sites FREE for us, is beyond me.

Just like people are already complaining about Sony's BluRay, a format most people haven't even been able to view for more than a couple minutes at trade shows, people now have to find something negative about the sites that freed us from paper publications? Come on, guys. This is a tremendous time to be a film buff, and the occasional intrusive ad is well worth it, at least to me.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, in your face ads don't bug me too much, but ads with sound do. Honestly, sometimes my sound is still set too loud or something, and a noisy ad scares the livin' crap out of me. Or if someone left the PC here un-muted (shared workstation), and I get this embarassing noise...

That said, I tend to frequent sites with consistently aggravating ads very infrequently. An occasional super-aggravating ad is understandable.

That said,

For really great sites like Digital Bits, HTF, AVS, TVshowsondvd, (animeondvd for me included), etc...

the ad might suck, but if it helps a site that is valuable, I'm willing to wait. At least once per site visit. Just as long as it doesn't happen constantly - like a 10 second ad every page! :D I abandon sites like that very quickly! :thumbsdown:

William Miller

Second Unit
Websites have the right to run any kind of advertising they want.

People who surf the Internet have a right to look at any website they want.

I do not go back to any website that allows the annoying type of noisy, pop up ad that is under discussion here.

I had the Digital Bits under double-secret probation for the past month after they ran a similar ad. Mr. Hunt at that time said that he would do everything in his power to not run ads like that again. But I guess his power was weak and this ad was the all time worst. I will now add this website to the many that I don't go to anymore.

There is a time and place for advertising in this world. We know that commercial television stops the programs and shows advertising but they do not blast into the picture while it's running to sell you cranberry juice.

Many advertisers have now figured a way to work around pop-up blockers, so that doesn't work anymore. And my computer is starting to age a little and sometimes those ads cause me mechanical problems.

Have you ever heard anyone say, "Boy, do I love pop-up ads!!". I think most people hate them. And yet, advertisers still are deluging us with these things. Why? Advertising is supposed to "turn on" a customer to a particular product or service. These ads are not "turn ons". They are "turn offs". It makes no sense to me.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Amen Ricardo! Also, I can't tell you how much money I've saved making wiser dvd purchases because of getting good info on releases/recalls/special editions on the way etc...from places like The Digital Bits & Home Theater Forum.

I feel I owe these cites for saving me money and helping me spend my movie dollars well.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
William, while I agree with you about pop-up ads and how they turn off visitors, the only way I would stop visiting a site I loved is if it was harming my computer (installing spyware, etc.). Is it really worth losing the fabulous information at Bits all over an ad?

Keith_inBR

Auditioning
My two cents (Sorry Bill, I couldn't resist starting that way)
;)
I've been a dvd owner since November of '97. I can't remember how long I've been a daily reader of The Digital Bits. Others have already mentioned The Bits being a daily visited site. Here's one more for that list (and also one more for willing to pony up my $20 for the info they provide).

Like many of you I am addicted to DVD.
I am also addicted to The Digital Bits.
When I wake up each day, 95% of the time the first site I check is The Digital Bits.
(and I'll bet I'm not the only one)

Thanks to their fairness to both sides of an argument (such as the "Star Wars: New or Old") or their giving credit squarely where it belongs (Pick any studio and I'm sure they have praised or pounced on each one equally when circumstances dictated) I can't wait each day to read Bill's Two Cents Worth.

Or maybe it's that the film buff(or geek)in me just thinks it's cool that Bill gets RAH to do columns for him!

Whatever the case, I can not fault Bill for doing what he can to pay the bills and also keep his site open and available to everyone.

To Bill and company at The Bits
&
To Ron and all the guys at HTF

If I can speak for those of us who frequent your sites daily, lurk most of the time and post rarely (most times what I want to say has already been said),

Your hard work is noticed, appreciated, and greatly valued.

Keith

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
Wow... Ain't the internet grand? 10 years ago people would of dream the stuff that's happening on the internet. A kids manipulating the stock market, internet auctions, PEOPLE ACTUALLY COMPLAINING ABOUT FREE STUFF!!! Digital Bits is a great site plain and simple, that gives you everything for free, how can you complain? Same goes for HTF, people really are ungrateful :frowning:

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
TDB have saved me loads of cash when it come to buying DVDS in general.

I bought the book because of its information and to support the site and a really great insight into the making of all 4 Alien movies although I am only interested in Alien & Aliens

Keep it up Bill

Cheers

POscar

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: DigitalBits :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Keep up the good work !

I've been running a much smaller DVD website for 3 years (1998-2000, 300-500 visitor a day), and I know that it costs a lot (in $$$ and time, I was never even close on breaking even!).
Ads are annoying but they are a necessary evil to have quality sites like DigitalBits and HTF

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I think the problem is that they're sort of stuck with the ads that they're given. They can decline to use the "Alias" ad, but if they do, the advertiser might decide not to work with them in the future. I think, however, that they have to weigh just how intrusive an ad is and how it will affect their readership. But it's a damned-if-you-do-dammed-if-you-don't situation.

I read TDB, DVDFile and DavisDVD (not to mention this forum) on a daily basis and find them wonderful resources. And I'm embarrassed that I didn't contribute last time when the hat was passed here last time (I had just moved and was completely broke). I think that they provide valuable services and that we expect too much sometimes. I will say, however, that if the DVDFile crew is just going to vanish or stop publication that -- barring catastrophe or tragedy -- they should have the forethought to warn their readership.

As for Bill and crew going off on tangents, he can do what he want-- it's his bloody site.

Thanks, Bill. Keep up the good work!

Brendon

Second Unit
Another "two thumbs up" for the Bits here.

10 years ago, when I first got into HT, I bought two magazines here a month in the UK - the equivalent of 16USD or so.

The information in them was thin but deep - reviews of a mere handful of OAR VHS and laserdiscs. The reviews frequently showed up months after street date.

With the 'Bits, 'File and HTF providing up to the minute reviews, news and an opportunity to discuss, I haven't bought the magazines in years.

That's nearly 200USD a year that I'm not spending yet getting a much better level of insight and information about the hobby I adore.

I *know* it's not the same thing, but do we bitch and moan when the commercial breaks come on TV right in the middle of our favourite shows ? Or an article in a magazine is split by a full page ad ?

As a previous poster admited, I too would be happy to pay subscription to HTF, TDB and the like. Outside of my work and family, film watching is my life.

The discussion some time back as to whether the HTF fund drive should allow for "exclusive" paid for membership, with benefits and priviledges not available to non paying members. The popular vote was no: those that donated did it for the continuing benefit of all.

That the Bits, to keep itself on air, has reluctantly decided to accept such adverts is merely another way of dealing with the funding issue. If people plan on curtailing their partronage of certain websites based on advertising and the like, the web is suddenly going to become a very small place for them.

Is clicking the close button on a pop up advert really having such a collosal impact on your browsing ? I'm not advocating pop up ads, but as a neccessary evil to continuing to have such sites available and funded, I'm failing to see a problem aside from a very minor, easily dealt with irritation.

Otherwise keep up the good work Bill & company. Your THX1138 review prompted me to buy the film on spec and it's been the revalation of the week for me!

Cheers,

Brendon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks