What's new

Digital Bits rumor mill info on Universal's 2007 HD DVD releases (HEROES this August! (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Sweet, Patch Adams! Um, just kidding...

Seriously, good to see some more HD DVD release being planned from Universal, although there aren't many must-buys on this list for me personally. Of these, I would buy:

The Game (maybe)
The Big Lebowski
Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
The Bourne Identity
Legend (maybe)
Darkman (maybe)
Heroes: Season One (maybe, would be a blind-buy)
Battlestar Galactica: Season One

Edited to add:

OK, WTF, I just peaked at the SD DVD Universal releases, and I saw this:

August - Flash Gordon: Savior of the Universe Edition

Why the hell isn't this being offered on HD DVD!!!!!?????

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Heroes is going to be a nice exclusive for HD DVD. Battlestar Galactaca, as well.

I'm definitely going to be getting both of those.

I'm also sure I'll pick up quite a few of the other titles listed here.

I'm happy to get Shaun of the Dead, but I'd really like to see Dawn of the Dead (2004) this year as well.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
If this is more than rumor, it is good news. It's shows Universal's commitment to HD. And some titles will be happy to buy.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Money I'll likely be spending:

April - The Game, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

May - The Frighteners, The Big Lebowski (maybe), Lost in Translation (maybe)

June - Sneakers, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Mystery Men

July - The Bourne Identity, Hot Fuzz, Darkman, Shaun of the Dead

August - Heroes: Season One

September - Battlestar Galactica: Season One, For the Love of the Game, Knocked Up

Jim-J

Agent
This is good news for HD-DVD. But there might be a glimmer of hope for BD fans also...

From the rumor mill posting at the Bits:

"As of now, all the above titles are HD-DVD only, but we've learned that there's some "executive upheaval" going on in the studio's home video division right now, so things could change."

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator
Lots of good titles in there. I am looking forward to BSG and Heroes!!

However if Uni decides to go for both formats, methinks the "war" will be very close to being over.

JohnPhi

Stunt Coordinator

wow if this means they are going neutral, tell the fat lady she is on in five

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

It remains to be seen if he is talking about new information that he has an inside scoop on, or if he is just talking about old news and making guesses anyone one us us here could also make.

The news about Universal's new leadership is several weeks (or is it more) old. And during all this time it has been said that the head of the home video division remains where he is.

Maybe something new that hasn't been reported yet is going on, but I wouldn't assume anything until more information comes out.

I do think it would be a good thing if Universal decided to release on BD as well as HD DVD. I think at that point, the format war would be over from most consumers' perspectives.

Back to the original information, though. I think these titles will make about 60ish releases through September (including the ones already released/announced this year). So if they plan on hitting the 100 titles promise, they should be releasing about 40 additional titles October through December.

I wonder if there will be additional titles in August besides Heroes: season one?

Norman Matthews

Second Unit
As I said in the Universal Studios thread, that last comment means nothing. He just can't post straight HD DVD news without banging his little drum.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I'll be buying a few of these.

April - The Game, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,

May - The 40-Year-Old Virgin: Unrated, The Big Lebowski, Lost in Translation

June - Sneakers, Born on the 4th of July, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Mallrats, Being John Malkovich,

July - Billy Madison, The Bourne Identity, Shaun of the Dead,

August - Heroes: Season One(maybe)

September - The Last Starfighter, Battlestar Galactica: Season One

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Well I'll definitely be picking up Heroes and BSG. I've purposely been waiting for BSG in HD. Any idea if this is strictly the first season or will it contain the miniseries as well? The other titles don't interest me too much. At least not right this minute. :D

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Some truly nice HD DVD films on that list. I counted about 12-15 that could easily be in my collection. Time to sell some of my plasma. ;)

Can't wait for :

Bruce Almighty
Liar Liar
The Frighteners!!!!!
Big Lebowski
The Game
Dragonheart
The Bourne Identity!!!!
Breach
Battlestar Gallactica
Scent of a Woman
In Good Company
Heroes S1
Sea of Love

Pretty cool.
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I find these title of most interest. Looks like 2007 is going to be a costly as 2006:) . And this is just the Universal releases. Still have Fox Disney Paramount and Disney to contend with.

The Good Shepherd
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Nutty Professor
Smokey and the Bandit
Midnight Run
The Frighteners (Can't wait for this)
The Big Lebowski
Born on the 4th of July
Daylight (Maybe)
Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Meet Joe Black
Mallrats
Being John Malkovich
Mystery Men
Dante's Peak
The Bourne Identity
Streets of Fire
Darkman
Shaun of the Dead
Heroes: Season One
The Last Starfighter
Legend
Battlestar Galactica: Season One
Patch Adams
Cat People (original Yes, remake no)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member

I'm pretty glad about the part that got left out of the original post.
I can't wait to have Heroes Season One on Blu Ray.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
You can scratch it off your list then because it's the remake. To me, that's the weirdest title on that list. Were that that many people thinking "Man, I can't wait to get ahold of the Cat People remake in high def!" :)

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Dude, why don't you give Bill the benefit of the doubt. If he really wanted to sabotage HD-DVD. He could do a lot more than making up this comment. Also, if he was to make up a comment such as this...I would have to think someone from Universal would be coming down on him hard.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

Uncalled for. He has many industry sources, and there's sufficient ancillary evidence to support his statements.

In fact, unless you work at Universal, I'd say he's a great deal better informed than you are.

Over the last 7 years or so I've watched him display evidence of inside sources countless times. He's got a very good track record.

Norman Matthews

Second Unit
He posted nothing new in that little aside at the end. It's the same idle speculation done countless times on many forums by every uninformed guy who's read an article about Universal recently.

If he actually knew more, he would have either posted more or less, depending on the circumstances. He wouldn't have posted a comment that just makes him sound like any Joe Schmoe on the internet a week ago.

I mean, just look at the comment. "Things could change." Of course they could change. Anything could change. The sheer weaselly imprecision of it screams that there's no solid information of any kind behind it. He doesn't even tease you to come back soon for more information when he has it or is allowed to release it.

Given his none-too-shy opinion on the format war, both recent and long past, and given what he actually said in that aside, rather then what some people may want him to have said (which was the whole point of the comment; I'll give him that much, it served its purpose), I think my response is entirely called for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks