What's new

Digital Bits Indy DVD news: "...aliens and Hobbits still hold far more interest..." (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
What about it is "mediocre" exactly? Mediocre implies poor quality not low quantity.
The definition I found for "mediocre" was...

Of a middle quality; of but a moderate or low degree of excellence; indifferent; ordinary.

No one is saying that the set is of "poor quality" we are saying that it's rather ordinary. There's nothing wrong with an ordinary release, but usually ordinary things don't take 6 years to come out. If it is your opinion that the set is extraordinary, then more power to you; you won't be disappointed. I, on the other hand, was expecting a little more for such classic films. I'll buy them and watch them over and over, but for the time being I'm a little disappointed about the extras.

I can understand people not being disappointed with the extras, but why are some of you so angry that others disappointed? It's not like I'm boycotting the release or anything.

CraigL

Screenwriter
As I have stated before...there is MORE than enough material out there for 2 disc sets for each movie.

Think of a 2 disc set for each:

Movie only edition: with POSSIBLY a commentary or a DTS track. Full enough. Essentially a Superbit.

Extras disc:
A) original Making of documentary (each movie had one, Raiders had more than one)
B) trailers/tv spots
C) deleted scenes
D) new interviews/documentaries
E) original EPK/B-roll footage
F) production/promotional artwork
G) storyboards

That would EASILY put the extras into the 2-3 hour range for each film. Don't use the excuse that they are older so less footage exists. This is Lucas and Spielberg we're talking about. There's documentation of a LOT of their filming...especially after Raiders came out. And for a current Making of Documentary, most of the key players are still alive and (I assume) would be available for documentaries. The only actors I know of who have passed are Denholm Elliot and Ronald Lacy.

I'll be honest with you...extras are a BIG part of why I get excited about the DVD's. Sure I love the movie and would buy it even if it were movie-only. BUT...that being said...I will almost always watch the extras immediately when I bring home the DVD before I watch the movie. The extras are usually shorter and I can skip around them. The movie I have to set aside a 2 hour block of time to watch. Part of the fun was going through all of the extras for AOTC when I got it. I was up until 3am watching all of them...and it made me just that more excited to watch the movie when I got around to it.

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
I can understand people not being disappointed with the extras, but why are some of you so angry that others disappointed?
I don't think anybody has a problem with the personal disappointment some are feeling. I think the problem is mainly with the quite arrogant, greedy, "you owe me more than this" manner in which some people have chosen to express their disappointment. I, for one, just can't fathom this powerful and overwhelming sense of entitlement that some very vocal internet dvd consumers feel in regard to new dvd releases. They seem to feel that their expectations should be met simply because they have formed those expectations, and that anything not meeting those expectations is to be disdained on that basis alone. It is, of course, their right to feel that way, but others also have the right to comment on that attitude. So, while it's perfectly acceptable for people to express their disappointment, it's also perfectly acceptable for others to wonder why some people feel like they are "owed" something more simply because they had to wait a long time to get a particular set of movies on dvd. Especially since, last time I checked, there was no rule of thumb that said the longer we wait for a dvd release, the more jam packed with extras it will be.

Anyway, it's all discussion of opinion, just like everything else on these boards. I haven't seen one side of the debate telling the other side to shut up, so I don't think there is any reason for concern.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I can only speak for myself, but I know that no one owes me anything. I'm not going to scour the thread, but I don't remember reading that anywhere. Bill Hunt basically said that he's more excited about Alien and TTT. That's what sparked this discussion, and it isn't really saying that Lucas/Spielberg owes us anything.

Tim Mauldin

Stunt Coordinator
I can't wait for these discs. As long as they have a good transfer and 5.1 Dolby Digital, I'm there. I don't care if they are bare-bones, trailer only discs. Bring em on.

I'm actually looking forward to this set more than Star Wars, and I'm a self-professed SW fanboy.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
I love being right. ;) I don't mean to brag(but I will :)) but in another Indy thread Paul C,Adam L,( Hey guys!) and myself got into it over this and SW release.

I said put the dvds out because I KNEW we weren't going to get any mind-blowing extras. So I saw no reason why these weren't out already, others thought maybe they'd be better one at a time and POSSIBLY extra loaded.

Well here we are Indy's coming and not with all the extras you've been dreaming of. Big surprise. I don't think quite frankly they'd be much different if it took another 3yrs. I doubt they'd put every single document etc. they have into them.

With this set you should look at it this way; Your getting the movies fully remastered,best possible presentation, and the best extras they could come up with. When they double dip for Indy 4(you know they will) any additional extras will probably fluff related to part 4 and how it ties in to the originals and blah,blah,blah...

So really bottom line,cheer up Indy's coming,if you love the MOVIES get em and watch them till your eyes fall out. We've become very greedy with regards to dvd. Even a great movie like Indy is criticized cause it doesn't have a crapload of extras. How did you guys manage when home theater was all vhs? Or LD? Allot of those weren't super loaded,did that stop you from buying movies that you love?

I cant wait to hear the comments when the OT hits and every movie isn't 3 discs and packed to the gills. Mark my words that one will disappoint as well. You think the wait for Indy was unnecessary? SW will probably be a major upset. We'll see...

Luis S

P.s. Nov. 4th cant get here soon enough!!!

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
Bill Hunt basically said that he's more excited about Alien and TTT.
Yes, he did, while at the same time complaining that the Indy set apparently will not contain the amount of bonus materials that he feels is appropriate. While he didn't explicitly state, "you owe me more," that was the attitude of his statement and the manner in which he made it.

EDIT: Hey there, Luis! I'm glad to see we are in agreement in this thread. :)

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to chime in for those of us who see validity in both arguments being made on this subject.

From the standpoint of those who feel underwhelmed by the amount of extras:

Let's face it, waiting for 6 years to see the films released on DVD coupled with statements from the official press release like these: (emphasis mine)

Paramount and Lucasfilm have joined forces to create the ultimate Indiana Jones experience for the millions of fans who have made Indiana Jones such an indelible part of movie history for more than two decades," said Thomas Lesinski, Worldwide President of Paramount Home Entertainment. "During the development of this terrific DVD collection, we discovered that the appeal of the Indiana Jones property has never been stronger around the world, and that the Indiana Jones boxed set is the most highly anticipated DVD release of the year."

AND...

Paramount and Lucasfilm also scoured their archives to find just the right material to add to the DVD. "We knew we had to deliver the goods Indy fans wanted with a quality beyond anything they expected," said Jim Ward, Vice President of Marketing for Lucasfilm."

...and you can't blame us for saying "Is that it??"

The feeling I get is "Don't give me a piece of shit and try to tell me it's Fillet Mignon."

Then we get news that they're not finished with the extras and more will be announced as they are finalized. I find that very reassuring but it begs the question: Why not wait on a official announcement until all the specs are locked down? Nov. 4 is 6 months away, do they really need that much time to prime the PR pump??? Discussions like this one make a lot more sense when all of the information is out there.

The quotes above also speak to those who would say "I'm just feeling mighty grateful to get the movie at all, thank you Lucasfilm."

If you're going to describe the set as the "Ultimate Indiana Jones Experience", you'd better bring your "A" game with respect to the bonus material IMO.

Now from the other side of the table, the supposed outrage of the readers here about the lack of extras reminds me of the "DVD Geeks" article. I don't think anyone here is actually angry, but some do seem to feel a sense of entitlement that is undeserved.

Having said that, I will definitely be plopping down my 30-50 quid for this set. I'm looking forward to hearing the 5.1 soundtrack and seeing the Anamorphic picture on my new RPTV. As for bonus material, I'm not sure how I feel. On the one hand, the press release says that there will be 10 hours of entertainment which leaves ~4 hours of extras which seems a little lackluster IMO (1.33hrs per film). On the other hand, if there is still more to be announced does that mean there will eventually be more than 10 hours of entertainment (6 hours would give each film 2 hrs apiece)? Or have they just not decided what to include in the 4 hours already announced.

In either case, I need to see what they're including before I get psyched or just shrug it off as a missed opportunity.

Cheers.
J.

David James

Stunt Coordinator
Paul said:
"I think the problem is mainly with the quite arrogant, greedy, "you owe me more than this...I, for one, just can't fathom this powerful and overwhelming sense of entitlement that some very vocal internet dvd consumers feel..."

Very well said.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
What would have been really cool was if, at the end of the press release, it stated something to the effect of:

"We're still gathering more bonus materials in an effort to please even the most die-hard Indiana Jones fans, so stay tuned for more this summer!"

Or something similar.

But I don't really care. I'm picking this up on 11/4 and nothing is going to stop me. :)

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
"I think the problem is mainly with the quite arrogant, greedy, "you owe me more than this...I, for one, just can't fathom this powerful and overwhelming sense of entitlement that some very vocal internet dvd consumers feel..."

You're projecting. People are just venting on a message board. If they want to do that, let them. It's perfectly within the bounds of discussion to express dissapointment with an upcoming DVD release. If the set turns out to be stellar and we all look like fools for complaining, fine.

Until then, please drop the "arrogant" and "greedy" comments.

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
You're projecting. People are just venting on a message board. If they want to do that, let them. It's perfectly within the bounds of discussion to express dissapointment with an upcoming DVD release.If the set turns out to be stellar and we all look like fools for complaining, fine.

Until then, please drop the "arrogant" and "greedy" comments.
Scott, I'll be happy to do so just as soon as my feelings change on the matter. In the meantime, I'll go on expressing my opinion, which is just as valid as anybody else's on these boards. Thanks for the input.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Lucas is involved, so watch... The guy whose heart gets ripped out might shoot 1st now, prompting the heart removal so that it becomes self-defense...

;)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Scott, I'll be happy to do so just as soon as my feelings change on the matter. In the meantime, I'll go on expressing my opinion, which is just as valid as anybody else's on these boards. Thanks for the input.
Calling other people names isn't necesarily as valid as others opinions on the issue. I know I don't appreciate being called arrogant and greedy.

Jeff Ashforth's post pretty much sums up my feelings as well. kudos.

also, thanks for the "fillet mignon" and "A game" comments. i got a great belly laugh out of those.

Nov 4th can't come soon enough!

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
I could give a rat A** about the extras as long as the films are done correctly and are as good as they can be I will be happy. Please no BS like with BTTF. Finally Indy on dvd Hell Yea!

FredK

Second Unit
I'd really like to know more about what the key players really wanted for this box set. It seems that Paramount and Lucas and Speilberg probably each had different ideas of how this should be released. I'm not surprised that Lucas is taking a lot of forumers' complaints, but considering the care given to the regularly-priced SW DVD's I'd expect LFL would want to add more.

Typically if parties can't agree the final product suffers, and in terms of quantity of extras this one is pretty light.

That said, with the restoration done I consider this a great buy. It'll oly cost ~$40 on street date... now how much did I pay for my bare bones Seven Samurai? I'm happy with the content/cost ratio.

re: the blurb on The Bits, it's their focus so I can understand the desire for extensive releases (though the Alien Quadrilogy just seems like complete overkill... how much of that stuff is going to be compelling to watch?).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Calling other people names isn't necesarily as valid as others opinions on the issue. I know I don't appreciate being called arrogant and greedy.
I doubt Lucas appreciates being called Luca$ either, but since that's acceptable message board behavior I see no reason why Paul's isn't as well. You may not agree with his assessment, but that in and of itself doesn't invalidate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks