1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

digital audio to 5.1 system cheap? help

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Chris Thrasher, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Chris Thrasher

Chris Thrasher New Member

To start off, let me apologize for being uneducated in this field. But hey, thats why I'm here. So: I've got a PS3, TV, and a 5.1 surround system (front L&R, surround L&R, center and sub). My goal is to skip paying hundreds on a receiver/amplifier. It seems that both the TV (cable input) and PS3 have "Digital Audio output (optional)." I figured this would be the best option, even though I've never used this port before. The satellite speakers need to be powered, and only take the traditional black and red copper wires; so obviously I'll need some sort of amplifier and a cord to convert digital to RCA (I think). The most I want to spend would be $50. Any help is really appreciated!

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    We need to know what these speakers are from. If 3ohm, you need to find a used, working, craptastic HTiB where the person is selling just the power/player piece.

3. mccambley

mccambley Well-Known Member

Casey
  4. ChampN252

ChampN252 Active Member

Roland
    I'm no pro, but I thought the receiver was the most important part