What's new

Digipak sleeves? (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I got a CD from Japan that was billed as a "mini-album," with a sort of digipak made to look like the original LP release and a disposable clear plastic sleeve. It was kind of like a CD-sized version of the clear plastic sleeves that LP collectors use to protect their record jackets.

Well, a lot of European discs are in the digipak format now, and so I would like to buy a pack of these sleeves. Does anyone know if they are available for sale? I don't even know what to call them for a search. "digipak sleeves" and "digipak jackets" tend to take me to professional CD mastering companies. I just would like to buy a pack of them like you'd buy jewel cases.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Glad to be of service. I've been buying from them for years, ever since I had a fire, and my whole collection got smoke and water damage. :eek: Nothing like an inexpensive barrier to protect your investments. Call it "safe collecting." :laugh:

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
There are many REPLICAS of CDs in LP sleeves coming from Japan. The outer bag has a porpose-to protect the sleeve-and keep the OBI intact-that band of paper around most Japanese CDs-and formerly LPs. The "U" shaped clear sleeves are a paint-but the material is MUCH softer than what we use-
thus they last longer-it also may take u p static
The Japanese turn up their nose a dgipak-Ive never seen one-'no class'
You are talking about the mostly US made cardboard case that opens ip to a a plastic holder-the record industries answer to DVD 'Snapper' case which most sane people despised

Myself, I dont really like 'digipaks' they have a 'cheap' feel, will eventually tear, get ring or buff wear- -used to be common to LPs, or the baby will pit up on it. And they are not easy to replace-and what will you do for a cover if you get a 'blank' digipak?

I make a digipak front & back template from my scanner onto cardstock or photo paper, make a front folding booklet either turn the thing upside down so the inside info prints rightside up.
Even Easier with a Digipack, becsaue they usually have booklets stuck in pockets-so I just slide them in the a jewel case-or if need be make the outer cover and staple the booklet inside. This is notbootlegging-it is making a new cover for a CD/DVD-plus it helps me bone up on my Mac Photoshop CS4 skills.
When the jewel case gets to too 'cloudy'-buffed- scratched or cracked-I just buy a new one- and viola! You have what looks like a new disc (if youve taken care of the inside booklet
Plus a good $150 printer

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm actually talking about both. I got a true mini LP replica from Japan (Martin Denny's Latin Village) that I assume had the OBI, but it's been a number of years and I don't keep that sort of thing. I also got a couple of true digipaks from Japan (Jason Falkner's latest and his TV Eyes project) that had the OBIs. As you described, they open to a plastic disc holder with the other side being a thin piece of cardboard.

I have gotten many European discs in this format as well. I don't like them, either, but I'm not skilled enough to make a jewel case-friendly replica like you did. That's why I'm looking at those poly CD sleeves as a way to protect the digipak. I take care of my stuff and pretty much rip to my HD and don't touch the discs much afterwards anyway, so the poly bag ought to be okay for me.

Actually, many of the CD rippers upload all the artwork in printer-ready format. I don't like what they're doing, but I could use their artwork on albums I've legally purchased and do what you did. Also, iTunes sometimes includes a printable booklet with their albums. There's one that I recently bought on CD that has an exclusive iTunes booklet. I'm crazy enough to buy the album again just for that (actually, it'll be my third copy). Photo paper doesn't seem to replicate a true CD booklet, though. Is cardstock closer to what you'd get in a traditional jewel case?

Blair G

Second Unit
Real Name
Blair G.
You have to be careful with the size if you are using them for mini LP replicas.

I bought some recently that were just fine for single disc digipaks but they aren't quite big enough for most of my mini LP style discs (recent MoFi's, Dead Can Dance SACDs).
The flap doesn't reach the adhesive strip.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I have a sleeve for my one mini LP (Martin Denny's Latin Village), so I am really looking for a similar thing for my digis. You're saying I need smaller bags in that event? On this page, I figure it's between the mini LP sleeve and the jewel case sleeve. I was leaning towards mini album.

CD storage, record bags, and polyethylene bags for all types of audio storage and shipping needs.

I'm guessing the bags you bought wouldn't be good for hardcover style cases like the Star Wars scores and Priest's Angel of Retribution?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks