What's new

Digging up old posts (1 Viewer)

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
on topic - i agree with todd, my shadiness meter has been peaking with some of the recent posts there - lots of 1st post buyers...something about it feels not right.

Just know your paypal dispute rules is all I'm saying.

mylan

Screenwriter
Just don't sell em anything, I had an offer on a Velodyne sub I was selling a while back (I still have it!) and the guy wanted to low ball me,you check his post history and its all inquires about a purchase, a big red flag in my book. I'll not sell to anyone on here unless they are regular Joe's (you know, Joe six packs!).
I just read em and disregard em, makes life easier.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Close, Dennis, but the way I always heard it was:

Submariners once, Submariners twice!
Holy, Jumping, Jesus Christ!
We go up and we go down!
We don't even Fark around!
Aaaaoooogah! Aaaaoooogah!
Dive! Dive! Dive!

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I would categorize old posts that are dug up like this:

In the "for sale" area someone is looking for a specific item and does a search for it. Then they respond with out looking at the original posting date.

In the tech help areas, they might have a similar issue that they don't want to start a new thread. But if they are a new member, and didn't look to see if it has been posted already, we need to welcome them and kindly point them to an existing thread. Many times I have seen a newbie asking a question that has been covered get a response like "the search button is your friend".

I could see in the movies section an old thread being dug up once the movie is released on DVD/Blueray. There are those who don't see movies in the theater so they don't discuss it then, but once it is released they would like to.

Now in the AHL, old threads could be dug up if something new happens. For instance a new use for silica as an alternative energy source would surely revive that thread. Or there might be a retired fellow with out much to do trying to add some life to an area that isn't seeing much activity. ;) I don't see digging up old posts an issue as long as the topic is relevant.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
When looking at an old thread (and there has been more of them lately), it is kinda interesting to look at the reply's and seeing some old familiar names. And you can sometimes notice a change in knowledge/experience and even personality.

Otherwise responding to an old post is like buying a newspaper out of a rack, sitting down in a coffee shop about to enjoy the sports section with a cup of Joe on a crisp Fall morning, and then realizing it's yesterdays newspaper which, of course, you've already read! Can't help but feel like an idiot.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Gene: Couldn't agree more about seeing old familiar names in some of the old posts that are resurrected. :emoji_thumbsup:

Makes me ponder the transience of the internet community.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Maybe someone should start an "I wonder whatever happenned to...?" thread.

As for feeling like an idiot. Let's just say I have two copies of Fridays San Jose Mercury :rolleyes:and leave it at that!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A little while ago someone started a thread about a former HTFer who died awhile back. It was a different kind of moment for the community.

I wonder quite often about members who disappear and stop posting here. There are so many reasons for them to stop.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Independent research has shown that the number one reason people stop posting is because of Mike Frezon's use of sentences such as, "Makes me ponder the transience of the internet community." :P

Sorry for killing the moment. I know you know I'm kidding, Mike. About the first paragraph.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Well, be careful where you do that. An uncle of mine who liked to hang out on street corners got busted for pondering. ;)

Joe

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

As Frank Loesser once wrote, "Brother, you can't go to jail for what you're thinking, or for that woo look in your eye."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks