What's new

Different director for 4th Harry Potter movie Goblet of Fire (1 Viewer)

Galen_V

Second Unit
I don't think she intended to constrain the books to a certain time period either-it is just that I have read people on the internet complaining about the lack of consistency with 1992 in COS, so I figured some people might through a fit with this.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
They may have been unknowns when they shot the first one, but now it's hard to imagine anyone else playing Harry, Hermione, and Ron.
I don't know about that. When my brother and I saw I Capture The Castle last week, one of our comments afterwards was "where was that kid when they were casting Harry Potter?"

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
I, for one, can't wait for Azkaban and wish they were putting out during the 2003 holiday season :frowning: Howeve,r putting it out in summer might give it that edgier feel they're going for. I have not read the book yet, but overall I like both the first two books and films. Columbus deserves kudos for getting the performances out of such young kids. they hit the beats and they aren't trying to remember their lines. the dialogue all sounded natural.

As for the studio, they better keep these films on a modicum of "autopilot" so we can keep the same three kids! it would seriously ruin the suspension of disbelief if a new kid played the parts, almost as bad as a different actor replacing elijah or viggo or sam in ROTK.

also, I don't mind that Harry and Hermione are wearing Abercrombie. I think it will help the films "coolness" in the eyes of kids and make it more contemporary for them. Harry Potter needs to be a contemporary hero.

As far as Dumbledore as a new age hippy, I like the angle, but let's face it, Dumbledore has a couple things most hippies don't, namely a sense of responsibility and right and wrong. But I suppose his hands-off methods of teaching harry are very "New Age."

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
Way to stereotype hippies as lacking morals.
I'm not attacking hippies as having no morals, I'm highlighting the fact that they tend to be less judgmental about right and wrong and personal behavior, which you may consider a very good quality. But that is more of Voldemort's philosophy, "There is no Good or Evil, there is only power." As in, there is no absolute truth and morality is relative. I think it would be fair to say that most hippies agree with that statement, and Dumbledore clearly does not.

J.K. speaks her own morality through Dumbledore more than any other character, in fact you could argue it is through him that she is speaking to her own children. And the denoument of each film and book focuses on rewarding the moral fortitude and personal achievement of specific students, an exercise in Greek virtue ethics more than anything. It takes a judgmental leader to reward and highlight personal behavior.

Now when Dumbdledore cancelled exams, now THAT WAS very laid back of him :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
As in, there is no absolute truth and morality is relative. I think it would be fair to say that most hippies agree with that statement, and Dumbledore clearly does not.
Just because their morals differ from yours doesn't make them lack a clear moral focus. And you don't think comparing Hippies to Voldemort is a little insulting?

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
there is no absolute truth and morality is relative
Would we agree that most hippies and "New Agists" agree with the above statement?

If we agree, then logic dictates that the above statement is not simply a moral perspective differing from my own, but the very definition of the ABSENCE of ANY morality. If one believes that there are no absolutes and that morality is simply "created" by those in power, then one by definition has NO morals, and any ethical behavior is simply determined by the constraints of one's own power, ala Voldemort's statement.

Voldemort's statement, "there is no good or evil; there is only power," is the very definition of the political and ethical philosophy of Post Modernism, a philosophy championed by "hippies" everywhere. Granted, they are often protesting elitist forms of power in the name of a populist movement, but the philosophy that morality is relative to power dictates that there are no universal moral maxims. Ask yourself why Rowling made Voldemort, the central villain and metaphysical embodiement of evil, a moral relativist.

By virtue of the above belief statement, I think it is a safe observation (or "stereotype") to note that hippies value themselves on being non-judgmental and "accepting" of all behaviors. However, Dumbledore clearly DOES apply judgments about personal behavior, hence his singling out of a handful of brave children at the end of each film, and his direct opposition to Voldemort in the narrative.

Again, aside from his laid-back nature, there really is no comparison between Dumbledore as written or filmed and any representation of the term, hippy as defined quite accurately above. And for all the above reasons, I think it is safe to assume that Rowling believes in absolute truth and absolute morality. And if good and evil is simply relative, ask yourself, why is it important that Harry win, other than to provide a good story? :)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/ne...l&siteid=89488

HARRY Potter fans have launched a battle to stop film-makers cutting an instalment of the boy wizard's adventures.

They are bombarding Warner Brothers with complaints after a decision to condense the plot of The Goblet of Fire into one two-and-a-half hour film.

It is understood Warner initially planned to split the book into two movies to cover the epic story.

But they have now dropped the plans, asking scriptwriter Steve Kloves to cut the book down to one feature length film.

The decision has led to the launch of the SaveGOF campaign on the internet.

Co-ordinator Amanda Caskey said yesterday: "When I learned that Steve Kloves had been asked to submit a single two and a half hour screenplay for the fourth movie I became extremely upset.

"I have known for months that there had been discussions on whether to make two movies from this huge novel and now they've actually decided to make a single short movie.

"It will never work."

The SaveGOF website has received thousands of hits from fans who hope they can force Warner Brothers to rethink their plans.

I would say this is not good news

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
The Newsweek pictures don't show up on my screen, this happens with some pages when I use Internet Explorer, anyone know a setting that I am missing?

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
Kevin, this happens for me too and I believe it may have to do with 3rd party firewall software, some of which block image servers entirely. Newsweek could be linking their photos from a thrid party image server. try turning of your firewal and reloading.

What say we merge this thread with the other azkaban thread?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yeah I thought of that but it didn't work when I tried it yesterday. Odd.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/st...storyid=468703

EX-Neighbours star Michelle Ang is tipped as the favourite to take on the high profile role of Harry Potter's love interest in the fourth movie.

The 19-year-old New Zealander recently quit the role of Lori Lee on the soap and auditioned for the role of Cho Chang in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

But she faces competition from two other hopefuls, Korean pop sensation Kwan Boa and sexy British-born Californian model Jennifer Nguyen.

A movie insider told the UK's News of the World: "Harry has his first kiss with Cho in J K Rowling's fourth instalment. She's a key part in Harry's life."

Ang, 19, also appeared in the last two episodes of Xena, Warrior Princess and was discovered by casting director Jan Russ.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
that's funny, Cho's never been a 'love interest' a mild crush maybe, first girlfriend sorta thing, but hardly a love interest. and the first kiss is in the fifth novel, and hopefully it will be offscreen in the fifth film as it is in the book, because the book handled it quite wonderfully. :D

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
My reaction to Alan Rickman's casting as Snape was "perfection!" I've long felt they could replace every other actor dozens of times over, each, as long as the casting for Snape was left unchanged.

But Atkinson as Voldermont, if this is accurate (and Google News shows it's being reported by many sources) ... that's nearly as perfect as Rickman. He'll be amazing to watch in the role. Can't wait until he points his wand at Harry and they start the brother wand duel.

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
From that Sun article: "The highlight is the Quidditch World Cup, featuring 100,000 witches and wizards competing on broomsticks."

I was under the impression that vast majority of the Quidditch World Cup participants were unbroomed spectators. ;)

And if this movie doesn't get split into two parts, I would expect a LOT of the opening 1/3 of the story surrounding the World Cup to be heavily condensed.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
But Atkinson as Voldermont, if this is accurate (and Google News shows it's being reported by many sources) ... that's nearly as perfect as Rickman. He'll be amazing to watch in the role. Can't wait until he points his wand at Harry and they start the brother wand duel.
This has been denied by Atkinson's publicist, to my relief.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks