What's new

Differences with the Harry Potter Ultimate Editions... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
A couple of years ago I purchased the Harry Potter years 1-5 gift box. I know see they have been releasing Ultimate edtions and I wanted to know if their is a difference between what I have and the Ultimate Editions? Also, I just saw that Warner is releasing a box set with parts 1 and 2 of Deathly Hallows. Should I get this or wait for an Ultimate Edition of that also? This is the set I bought.... http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Years-Limited-Gift/dp/B000W4B8NC/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1317394500&sr=8-12 Are the Ultimates that much different? Thanks for any help!!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Ultimate editions of the first and second movies are extended cuts. The other four Ultimate Editions released so far are identical to the two-disc releases featured in your set, except with an additional disc of special features for each movie.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Adam...Has their been any word if Half Blood Prince and both Deathly Hallows will come out as Ultimate Editions or are the releases now pretty much Ultimate Editions? Thanks!

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
There's already a Half-Blood Prince Ultimate Edition (they've all come out in pairs, so it was released alongside Order of the Phoenix). It's my understanding that Ultimate Editions of both parts of Deathly Hallows are indeed expected at some point.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Some theorize that there will be a massive 8-movie collection next year that features the Ultimate Editions (recut versions of the first two films) and all the bonus disc materials. I own only the first-generation blurays of the first five films. Are the prints in the UE's better? Because my old blurays frankly suck.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Ethan Riley said:
Some theorize that there will be a massive 8-movie collection next year that features the Ultimate Editions (recut versions of the first two films) and all the bonus disc materials.
A recent press release hinted at this set: "Hard-core Potter fans will be pleased to know that 2011 is not the end of the Harry Potter film franchise on DVD and Blu-ray. Warner Home Video plans to release a comprehensive Harry Potter film collection, with even more extras and collectible premiums in 2012. More details about the collection will be available at a later date."

Khai L

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Khai
harry potter and star wars are the kings of re-releases!!!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Khai L said:
harry potter and star wars are the kings of re-releases!!!
Maybe Harry Potter but Star Wars isn't even close. There's been two distinct releases of the original Star Wars trilogy on DVD, one DVD of the prequels and one Blu-ray. Avatar (for example) in less than 2 years has had as many releases as Star Wars has had in the 14 years since DVD started.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
There is no current release date for the Ultimate Editions for Deathly Hallows 1 and 2 is there? I stopped buying regular editions of the movies around film 5, to avoid a double dip but waiting for the Ultimate Editions sure takes patience. =/

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Adam Sanchez said:
There is no current release date for the Ultimate Editions for Deathly Hallows 1 and 2 is there? I stopped buying regular editions of the movies around film 5, to avoid a double dip but waiting for the Ultimate Editions sure takes patience. =/
I'm betting the last two UEs hit next June and the Big Old Honkin' Box will hit November or December...

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I've heard the PQ is slightly better on the extended version of the first film (compared to the theatrical version) - anyone verify?

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
Ethan Riley said:
Some theorize that there will be a massive 8-movie collection next year that features the Ultimate Editions (recut versions of the first two films) and all the bonus disc materials. I own only the first-generation blurays of the first five films. Are the prints in the UE's better? Because my old blurays frankly suck.
Actually, I suspect that the next release will be extended editions of more than just the first two films. I know at least one of the others had a fairly decent amount of film shot but not included, I think it might've been Azkaban? I don't know about the others. But honestly, it's Harry Potter, they'll release extended editions at some point. I suspect they did the first two in EE to get interest in the Ultimate series since otherwise it would've been an extras-only double dip, and then banked on the "They have to look the same" factor for the rest and held back on the footage in order to use it for the eventual EE Box Set. The first two, IMO, do look better. But I think it's because a different codec was used for the original releases? They were among the first releases... I've skipped the rest of the Ultimates because the extras don't justify double dipping for me. But I'm a sucker, I'll happily rebuy for Extended Editions...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks