What's new

Differences between TMNT on Blu and HD-DVD? (1 Viewer)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I swear I read somewhere over the last week that the HD-DVD was going to have some HDi interactive features that the Blu version was obviously not.

However, since I ran across that, I have not been able to find such info anywhere, and am beginning to wonder if it was a figment of my imagination. Has anyone read anything similar?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The releases are identical, save the regular DD track is DD+ on the HD-DVD. Both have a TrueHD track.

There is no HDi content on the HD-DVD.

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
Was anybody here a little dissapointed that the story was a little "tooooo" Saturday morning cartoonish?

Cause I know I was.

The Leo-Raph fight is top notch animation. Simply of the highest standard of rendering that I've seen.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I was hoping for something a little darker, but I enjoyed it for what it is. And I'll second the endorsement of the Leo-Raph fight. Best water rendering I've ever seen.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I have yet the time to watch this, but will probably watch it over the weekend with the grand kids.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I enjoyed it quite a bit - Hastings is selling the HD for 26.99, and I have some SD only friends interested in checking it out, so I will likely grab it instead of the Blu version. I enjoyed it quite a bit in the theater, especially the Raph as vigilante stuff and his fight with Leo. There is a little too much kiddie stuff, but there are a lot of great little references to the live action movies we watched as kids, like the Super Shredder helmet on th shelf at the end.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Yes, I was. I am a child of the 80s, loved the first one and didn't even hate the sequels. I was a little disappointed by the plot to be honest.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen the movie but isn't it based off of a Saturday morning cartoon? I know there's comics (generally aimed at adults) and previous incarnations in animation and live action (aimed at kids) but this incarnation is based off of the new cartoon.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Not sure that anyone can say what the movie was supposed to be based on. There were comic books, Saturday morning cartoons during the 80s, three live action movies during the early 90s and probably a DIFFERENT Saturday morning cartoon now. So its sort of like Spiderman, Batman etc. Its based off of the "collective universe" that is the TMNT.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the clarification. My knowledge of the Ninja Turtles ends at about 1990 but I thought this was based off the current series. Anyway, my buddy LOVED this movie so I'll probably check it out at his house this weekend (whether I want to or not :) ).

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
I was basically dissapointed with the content of the story.

It turns to be more supernatural than honest feeling, so it kinda looses a dramatic edge.

My opinion anyways.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Thank god I was well past the age that actually considered this a form of entertainment.....:eek:

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Back to the thread topic, yes the content is the same but can anyone verify that the bitrates used and/or space of the movie/extras is the same on each format, ie is there extra unused space on the blu-ray disk

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I personally loved this film. It took me completely by surprise and ended up being 'darker' than I was expecting.

I bought this HD DVD on Tuesday after work, but I held off on watching this until tonight becuase I wanted to really enjoy it.

Honestly, it's one of my favorites of the year.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Finished it up this morning and as a TMNT fan highly enjoyed it. They mention it's supposed to be a continuation of the movie, but it's more of a continuation of the newer animated series (which was fantastic).

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I watched TMNT this past weekend with my five-year-old son, and we both enjoyed it. TMNT has never been high-art, so my expectations were in check. Frankly, I think that this is the best incarnation of the TMNT I've seen outside of the original comic book. It did prompt me to checkout the new TMNT cartoon, which is miles above the cartoons and movies from the 80s.

As for the movie itself, the story lacked one thing, a cohesive villian. Technically speaking, it had some really great PQ and SQ that was only hampered by some slight banding in two or three scenes. Overall, I am very happy I blind-bought this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks